Sting: The Lost Tape

Loki

• Paid Members

I would have lost my kind if Sting had turned up in the WWF at a time when he was healthy enough to have a good run. Politics might have worked against him, but there was certainly talent on that roster to put on some great matches. I wonder what would have happened if Sting had been there around the time of Montreal, or Owen's passing.. Maybe with the Stinger up north Michaels would have found God sooner. Sting Vs DX? Sting & Luger Vs the Outlaws? 

• Paid Members

Where would Sting have fit in the WWF at that point? It was the Shawn Michaels show and there's no way he was jumping to be anything less than the top babyface. It's by far the WWF's most awkward year creatively as well. Even if they did want to get behind him, there's no guarantees that it would work.

I think the more interesting thing is how different WCW would've been without Sting. Losing him in 1995 would've meant Luger wouldn't have come back in, which would've hurt the initial buzz Nitro had. Sting was the original plan to be the "Third Man" in the NWO as well and, without that build up, Hogan might not have turned heel. I don't know who else you could've put in that spot that wouldn't have come off as a bit shit. Fuck knows who goes against them in that scenario either. They definitely weren't lasting long if Hogan's on the babyface side.

It would've been a totally different company really.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

Whilst I get where you are going with this I don't think Vince saw Rhodes as anything but a big fat sack of shit. He hadn't got the look for Vince to push as a top draw and he saw Rhodes as too "southern" and "wrasslin" for his glitzy, glamorous WWF. Sting would have been huge in WWF if Vince had liked him personally. 

I think the other thing about Dusty is that it was about taking Dusty Rhodes as a creative/political force away from the NWA, as much as it was about signing him as a talent, surely? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

I think the other thing about Dusty is that it was about taking Dusty Rhodes as a creative/political force away from the NWA, as much as it was about signing him as a talent, surely? 

They didn't take Dusty did they, he was let go by Crockett wasn't he, because he thought he was indispensable and bladed on a clash?

They could afford to take the piss.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

I watched this a enjoyed it. I've never found the Sting character interesting or engaging before. Is there a particular period of his career that is worth digging out. I'm fairly familiar with the whole NWO/Crow period. His stuff in the late 80s and early 90s is probably where I need to be looking. What stands out from that period? 

On 6/6/2020 at 4:13 PM, BigJag said:

I watched this a enjoyed it. I've never found the Sting character interesting or engaging before. Is there a particular period of his career that is worth digging out. I'm fairly familiar with the whole NWO/Crow period. His stuff in the late 80s and early 90s is probably where I need to be looking. What stands out from that period? 

The first Clash against Ric Flair in the main event. Anything against Vader in the 92/93 period. The strap match they have is good.

Sting & Luger v Steiners at Superbrawl 1 is a riot.

• Paid Members

Fin Martin parroted that myth in Power Slam as well. There was a definitely mean-spirited tone to coverage of him some reason. I don't know if injuries slowed him down, but in the WWF he was always a step off, but he'd got it back by 96-97 in WCW. He's the highlight of many shows around that time. In the death throws of WCW though, the injuries had caught up with him and he could barely bump.