Best Pixar Film  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I hate Disney but I love Pixar so it's having its own thread. And poll! I know somebody's going to moan about some of the omissions but there's only 10 slots so live with it.

I actually prefer Incredibles 2 to the original so that's why it got on the list although I voted for Inside Out because it's bloody wonderful. In fact, Pete Docter has made both of the top two Pixar films for me so I can't wait for Soul.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

As much as I do enjoy the Toy Story Series, and 4 isn't that bad, I had to go for something else. It was a tough call because Inside Out is excellent, but has a few things I can nit pick about in terms of characters, but for me Wall-E stands out for me. The 20 minutes with almost zero dialogue, the characters, the designs, the fear of the future. It just has a great message, great animation, and felt like nothing else. So that's my winner.

Incredibles 2 is just Incredibles with the main character's gender being reversed though isn't it? I heard Brad Bird had a better vision for it and when the film got bumped up early he had to drop a load of ideas to make the deadline. I hope he gets a 3rd film so we can see it.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I hate Disney but I love Pixar

I'm in the same boat. Even as a kid I found all their stuff too saccharine, wondering why people enjoyed cartoons about Donald Duck going fishing while Tom and Jerry were literally killing each other, a neat primer for enjoying Bottom.

But Pixar have a proper drop of magic about their films. Picking a favourite is really hard. All the Toy Stories are just fantastic, Inside Out is the most grown-up kids film I've ever seen, the way it handles mature conversation about emotions is staggering, both Incredibles are a riot... WALL-E is cute but a bit twee, and Up is shite once the opening silent montage is done.

I'm going to wait and see other people's arguments to be persuaded before voting.

(thank you for not including the awful Cars films. Complete trash.)

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Incredibles 2 is just Incredibles with the main character's gender being reversed though isn't it? I heard Brad Bird had a better vision for it and when the film got bumped up early he had to drop a load of ideas to make the deadline. I hope he gets a 3rd film so we can see it.

I dunno, I preferred it because maybe it was more of an action film. I also liked the role reversal stuff, I thought they handled it quite smartly.

Also, Jack-Jack vs Raccoon is an absolute all-timer.

Ā 

• Paid Members

I bought Lego Incredibles for christmas (for the kids) but they have a fun level involving the raccoon fight. Obviously doesn't match the film, but still good none the less. And I agree, absolute highlight of the film. They retooled a ride in Disneyland to make The Incredicoaster and it looks a lot of fun actually. Some good on-ride videos on You Tube of it.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I'm going to wait and see other people's arguments to be persuaded before voting.

I thought ratatouille would be sure thing for your top slotĀ šŸ˜. I think it takes mine because of the subject matter, but I do really love inside out.. I haven't seen incredibles 2 yet.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I thought ratatouille would be sure thing for your top slotĀ šŸ˜.

Stupidly, I haven't seen this yet, even more ridiculous considering it's another Brad Bird. I think it's only top tier Pixar I haven't seen aside from Finding Nemo.

I have gone for Toy Story 1. It's the original and still to this day holds up well for me.Ā 

Finding Nemo would have been second on the list (not knocking the poll), I was just blown away by the film when I first saw it.Ā 

Edited by Briefcase

• Awards Moderator
23 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I thought ratatouille would be sure thing for your top slotĀ 

The scene where the critic uses his childhood memories to talk about food is note-perfect, and is what Heston has made a living from in the past twenty years. The stuff around the kitchen is extremely well observed (it should be, Thomas Keller was the exec consultant) and the whole package is enjoyable. But it's not on a tier with some other Pixars.

I'd forgotten all about the NemoesĀ as well.

• Awards Moderator

The first Toy Story is my favourite, but I went with WALL-E as my top pick. (Not that I have a Pixar ranking list on my phone notes or anything...)

I'm already regretting that - trying not to let personal sentiment get in the way - because the first Toy Story is just wonderful and amazing in every way. WALL-E, as beautiful and perfect as it is, sometimes drags a little bit in the second half. Why can't we split votes.

I also love Finding Nemo (one of those ones where you forget just how good it is), Inside Out (incredible levels of emotion and thought at work in that film), and I'd rank Coco quite highly as well, mainly because on first viewing it turned me into a sobbing wreck in the cinema. Even more than Up.

Honourable mentions to Monsters Inc, which is a stone cold classic, and Ratatouille which I wasn't super keen on the first time I saw it but have loved more on each subsequent viewing.

Pixars that people aren't generally that fond of that I still think are pretty good - Brave, Finding Dory (didn't care for it on first watch, rewatched over Christmas and it was a lot better than I remembered), A Bug's Life, the first Cars.

Pixars that people generally really like that didn't quite connect with me - both Incredibles films (I've tried, I've really tried, but they just don't do it for me), Onward.

What does that leave? Monsters University was good at the time but haven't ever revisited it, The Good Dinosaur has its moments. Of the Toy Story sequels, 2 and 3 are top tier for me (although I prefer 2 to 3 ... I don't know why), and I really liked 4 in the cinema but it'd probably rank lower if I watched it again.Ā The Cars sequels are bottom of my list.

I like Pixar a lot.

Ā 

Me, five hours ago in the Disney+ thread: "I don't think Cars and Cars 3 are that bad" - then THIS pops up? I feel personally attacked. (Just kidding, of course. Understandably they get nowhere near the above)

I think people who voted for 'Up' have almost certainly voted based on the beautiful Michael Giacchino score and the sublimeĀ first fifteen minutes, not the bang average next hour and a quarter.

Don't get how anyone can have the original Toy Story above its sequels, unless it's just because it was the original. 2 and 3 are way better, IMO, and although it was a toss up between both, I've gone for 3 for the same reason Malbranque did above. i'd even put Toy Story 4 above the original for pure character and story.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

I think people who voted for 'Up' have almost certainly voted based on the beautiful Michael Giacchino score and the sublimeĀ first fifteen minutes, not the bang average next hour and a quarter.

I bet you and @Onyx2Ā think half of Full Metal Jacket is crap too.