Best Pixar Film  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This is probably where the nature of fandom comes in. The notion that you're not just a fan of the film, but the universe it's in, is how a prequel/sequel can spoil much-loved instalments in the franchise. 

Obviously, there are varying degrees of consumption of a franchise or IP, and QTR's view of the Toy Story arc is not particularly objectionable in itself, as it's just his view - but the moment when you realise that fandom, the kind that gate-keeps and insists on purity to the point where it's actually toxic, is one of the dirt-worst things in all of culture, it can be quite freeing, and you can enjoy individual instalments in and of themselves.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

This is probably where the nature of fandom comes in. The notion that you're not just a fan of the film, but the universe it's in, is how a prequel/sequel can spoil much-loved instalments in the franchise. 

Obviously, there are varying degrees of consumption of a franchise or IP, and QTR's view of the Toy Story arc is not particularly objectionable in itself, as it's just his view - but the moment when you realise that fandom, the kind that gate-keeps and insists on purity to the point where it's actually toxic, is one of the dirt-worst things in all of culture, it can be quite freeing, and you can enjoy individual instalments in and of themselves.

Yeah im not about to #notmytoystory.

It’s like when people bust out the “you’ve ruined my childhood!” bullshit, which has become more and more prominent with the Disney ‘live action remakes’. They haven’t, those original films still exist, they haven’t changed just because they’re remaking it be that live action or a a mixture of that and CGI. Toy Story is 25 years old, there’s an entire generation that’s grown up with CGI as it’s main form of animation and might not even watch something that isn’t that because they perceive it to be some sort of relic.

We had tickets for Back to the Future: The Musical (which we didn’t end up seeing because of Covid) and I wasn’t expecting it to a 5 star experience, but I was intrigued to see what they would do with it. But whether I came out of that loving it or thinking it was a steaming pile of shite, neither experiemce “ruins” Back to the Future for me, and neither should Toy Story 4. It’s a fine film, albeit an unnecessary addition to the franchise and whether you like it or not is down to you, but if you don’t like it (and I can see why some people wouldn’t)that shouldn’t diminish your enjoyment of something else.

• Paid Members

Yeah I have a similar reaction when a bad film is made that's based on a popular book and people talk about it ruining the book. The book is still on your shelf! The book hasn't changed, it's still the book you love. Or when people talk about a sequel or prequel being "pointless". There is no point to the existence of any art if we're being honest. 

Back on topic, I think the simplicity and heart of the original Toy Story is pretty hard to beat so I voted for that. I love all 4 of the Toy Story films though. I've enjoyed most the other Pixar films but probably wouldn't rewatch them unlike the Toy Story series I'd happily sit through at any point.

• Paid Members

It was good fun on Twitter a couple of years ago when it was reported there was a strong possibility there would be a Scarface remake. Loads of people whining that it was sacrilege and that it shouldn't be allowed until it was pointed out to them that it was a remake too.

11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It was good fun on Twitter a couple of years ago when it was reported there was a strong possibility there would be a Scarface remake. Loads of people whining that it was sacrilege and that it shouldn't be allowed until it was pointed out to them that it was a remake too.

Isn’t there a side by side, or at the very least key scenes comparison of the 2 on the Scarface DVD? If you were such a fan of it, how could you not know it’s a remake?

6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It was like when Marilyn Manson covered Soft Cells Tainted Love. Horrible. 

10 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Same thing happened when the 2011 version of The Thing came out, people confused the 1982 film as the original when in actual fact that was a remake of The Thing From Another World from 1951

On 5/1/2020 at 10:03 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

No movie sequel in history has ever had the power to travel back in time and spoil its predecessor.

You clearly haven't seen Highlander 2.