UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So seemingly ESPN controls the UFC. I can't deny that I'm a little mad about this, putting on a fight card gave me something to look forward to in amongst all this crap that's going on in the world.

I understand it, but I don't like it. Logically, the right thing to do, but my gut reaction was just "Well, this sucks."

92351241_4216749861684467_8704000973397295104_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_oc=AQnrxLTYRUtUrYyIVHWo-k4MzjEn17XkhjdOUsoxFdbq_0TA4TsJaQZXIu160QSYf4QG9rK8pwj0kgQtoo4fE7bp&_nc_ht=scontent.fsyd8-1.fna&oh=8944b86e025f11894176cd5f5fb01271&oe=5EB720A0

• Paid Members

Dana’s going to use this whole situation to make Khabib vs McGregor 2, isn’t he? I can see him pushing on with this Ferguson vs Gaethje thing to tie them both up so he can crack on with that mess.

Ideally, they just wait until the world recovers from this 10-8 round we’re currently losing. Then make Khabib vs Ferguson and McGregor vs Gaethje, maybe even on the same card, and have the winners face off at a later date. But it’s MMA and nothing’s ever ideal. 

• Paid Members

I cant believe that it got to the point to 2 weeks out and annoncing the fights before the show was pulled. There had to have been some serious threats made for the U-Turn. It isn't like they sneaked this up on anyone either.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Here's the full video should anyone want to want to watch it. The idea of fight island is very intriguing. I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. I'd really like to see a mini doc on the process they went/go through to make it happen. We'll just have to load up on classic content in the mean time. Didn't Inoki promote a fight island type event?

Stay safe people.

10 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Disney/ESPN stepped in to tell him he's an arse, apparently.

Guess Dana will be hiding in his mansion hoping his wife doesn't yell at him, furious that Disney ruined his shaggers island dream.

9 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

So seemingly ESPN controls the UFC.

I think there's a bit more to this to be honest, lads.

Heard Chad Dundas say that the primary driver behind Dana pushing ahead was the $750 million at stake for the company to complete all of its 42 ESPN events this calendar year, as well as the licence fee and other attributed money that the company would have received for staging UFC 249.

Rumour is that the phone call from ESPN brass was more a case of them being pressured by California Senator Dianne Feinstein to honour those contract stipulations even if the UFC don't fulfil them.

Dana's no moron. He may come off like a twat, but he's not going to all this effort just to prove Luke Thomas wrong. It seems he was looking to force the hand of ESPN and make sure the company got paid. You notice in that last interview with Okamoto that he says the fighters will all be covered and so on? Probably because the good Senator forced ESPN's hand in acquiescing to those conditions.

Of course, the internet is full of "Dana's failed LOLZ!" 

11 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I think Dana’s said they’re still going to put the 42 shows on this year as well. We’re going to end up with a show every day in November and December aren’t we? 

I'm sure he'll certainly try, but I think this whole defiance in the face of the pandemic was more about getting a guarantee from ESPN that they'll honour the contract even if he can't quite get it done.

He probably knew that by making a huge noise about still staging these events it was only a matter of time before someone higher up the food chain, like a Senator, stepped in.