UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

I think there's a bit more to this to be honest, lads.

Yeah, I read all that too.

Whether this was calculated or not, it's probably the right call - even if it sucks for the fans. It does mean we're going to have some mad cards in the winter. Particularly if Dana is adamant he's going to try and pump out 42 shows.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Particularly if Dana is adamant he's going to try and pump out 42 shows.

From what I've read he really didn't have much choice. I read an article in The Wall Street Journal that mentioned the UFC only being paid if they fulfilled their contractual obligations to Disney.

This was the reason for the mental pursuit of getting UFC 249 on. I think that intervention from the Governor of California has won the UFC some leeway on that contract for now, as it should. There's fuck all the UFC can do about all this, and if they can't squeeze 42 shows into a single year they shouldn't be penalised.

It was a shitty move from Disney to hold that over the UFC to begin with. 

Ironically, the donks online actually think that Disney and ESPN are the "good guys" who forced Dana to abide by the rules, when in reality it was ESPN and Disney that forced his hand to begin with.

• Paid Members

Work has been crazy so I haven't been able to keep up to date as well as I'd like, but catching up a bit today and I'm glad to see that the show isn't going ahead now, whatever the reasons behind the decision being made in the end. 

Come back when it's deemed safe to do so, and come back with a fury. Until then, I hope the UFC as a company and the fighters themselves lay low, regroup and stay as safe as possible. Hopefully by the middle of next year we'll be on the right side of this thing and life can start returning to some semblance of normality. 

The question is, which fighters will be left? There's already stuff on Twitter about fighters who had expected pay for fights happening over the coming few months now running into financial problems.

Obviously the UFC is sorting payment for those who have been cancelled, but they can't realistically lay out dough for every fighter on the roster. Bleak days indeed.

• Paid Members

wand. you aint getting it. Fight Island is going to host upcoming International events. 

UFC 249 was always gonna take place in America, initially they were going to be at a secret location (revealed to be Tachi Palace in California) but now that's been cancelled they are going to Florida because its the only state allowing sporting events to take place.

• Paid Members

Fair enough on the island but was 249 always going to be in America? Wasn’t it looking like Dubai at one point? That’s why Khabib went to Dubai. He’s quoted here saying he was told by the UFC that it was “99%” a lock;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mediareferee.com/2020/04/03/ufc-news-i-dont-make-mistake-khabib-nurmagomedov-explains-why-he-went-to-dubai-ahead-of-ufc-249-main-event/amp/

It makes sense. There’d be no other reason for him to randomly fly to Dubai during the final weeks of camp unless he was led to believe the fight was happening there.

The thinking at one point was definitely that it couldn’t happen in the US and they were looking at other options. The Tachi Palace stuff came up very late in the day. I think Khabib might’ve even been ruled out already by that point.

Whatever the case, it’s all a big mess. I’ll be surprised if it goes ahead in May either.