UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

That’s my gut feeling as well Colin. Under any other circumstances I’d be favouring Ferguson to weather the storm and catch Gaethje in a submission but because the Khabib fight hinges on the result, yeah, he’ll probably go out there and flatten Fergie in 20 seconds or something. Just seems like, for whatever reason, we’re just not meant to see Khabib vs Ferguson. 

Seems like the show is going ahead though, yeah. I’m still struggling to get too excited for it though because we’ve been burnt so many times already. Like a defence mechanism to limit the disappointment when it inevitably implodes again. The card seems too good to be true so I keep thinking something is going to cock it up at the eleventh hour. It seems like it’s happening this time though.

Slack's Guide to Tony Ferguson. It's a decent little watch. 

I don't quite get the love for Ferguson, both as a fighter and as a person. I'd personally rather see Khabib vs Gaethje happen next. Still, I am not a complete sociopath. I admit it would be a shame if Khabib vs Ferguson became the biggest "what if" in MMA history. 

A lot of people talk about Fedor vs Couture and GSP vs Anderson as the two biggest "what ifs" in MMA's short history. Yet, you can make a strong argument that neither of those match-ups were all they were hyped up to be. Firstly, GSP should have always remained at welterweight, rather than moving up to 185lbs where the dream fight with Anderson would have presumably taken place at. As we learnt from GSP's fight with Bisping in 2017, he didn't have the body to fight at middleweight, and it was detrimental to his health to try and do so. Elsewhere, Fedor had become complacent by 2007 when the talk of the Couture fight begun. He was no longer the same fighter that took apart Cro Cop and Big Nog in Pride. It's arguable, therefore, that he and Randy were never destined to fight in their primes anyway. 

With Khabib and Ferguson, no such reservations apply. Both are in their primes, fight in the same weightclass, and have established themselves as the two top fighters in their division. I personally do not believe that Ferguson is a serious threat to Khabib's undefeated record, but that is just my opinion, and one that seemingly goes against the consensus. All in all, it's hard to argue against Khabib vs Ferguson being a true dream fight that should, at one stage or another, happen. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

That Ron Perlman narrated promo was a serious hair on the necker backer stander upper.
I'm quietly, stoically giddy...

I can't seem to find this. Is there a link to it?

UFC have put an Embedded up. Shows some of the prep and explains the arrangements they've had to go through for Saturday. 

Edited by BigJag

I'd never have seen me saying this a few months ago, but God bless Dana White if this event happens this weekend. 

As soon as I see that octagon on my telly I'll look to the drizzly, cloudy Scottish skies and hold aloft my beer in recognition of the mountains that the bald arsehole has shifted to make this a reality.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, David said:

the bald arsehole has shifted to make this a reality.

You’ll get @Scott Malbranque excited with that kind of talk.

It feels real now the hype videos like the Countdown, Embedded etc are popping up. Anyone know if there’s going to be a press conference today or tomorrow like usual or they not bothering with that? 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, David said:

I'd pay good money to see Dana, Tony and Gaethje try to do a presser via Zoom.

You’re not a million miles away, according to this article. 

https://www.fightful.com/mma/virtual-press-conference-fighter-scrums-happening-ufc-249?amp&__twitter_impression=true

C832B401-B6D4-4AB9-9905-5EC6D0F37EF0.jpeg

E30381ED-5092-4836-9259-2974EF72A2DF.jpeg

This would be a total fucking mess. And I want to see it. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Can't wait to take the piss out of Greg Hardy's book shelves. 

Ha. I’m going to throw out a crazy wild guess and say they’re as empty as Brendan Schaub’s head.