UFC 249: Ferguson vs Gaethje - May 9 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Seeing some rumours now on Twitter that the Francis Ngannou vs Jairzinho Rozenstruik fight (originally scheduled to headline the Columbus show at the end of March) is being targeted for this card now as well. Just rumours at this point but I can see it. Of all the fights that were on the schedule before Covid wiped them out, Ngannou vs Jair was the one that seemed to crop up the most to be moved to 249. 

Fergie vs Gaethje is for the interim strap as well, by the way. So the winner should be facing Khabib later in the year, all being well. I know. Not getting my hopes up. If that happens, that’s likely McGregor out of the title picture at 155 for the rest of 2020. Might as well go ahead and book McGregor vs Diaz 3. 

Yep;

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Bit of a card shuffle. 

F9CDD322-C06E-4B71-A342-EDAE5A7E7E5F.jpeg

Not quite as good as the original card. Obviously, losing Khabib vs Ferguson is the big shitter. But also, Ankalaev vs Cutelaba 2, Azaitar vs Worthy, Makhachev being out are all blows to the card overall. But all things considered, this is a strong card for what they had to work with.

And again, Greg Hardy can eat my turds. If that’s the bout order, why he’s still so high up the card, I don’t know. Having Hardy vs De Castro billed higher than fucking Ngannou vs Rozenstruik is straight up bollocks but whatever. 

Immediately, of the new fights booked, Vicente Luque vs Niko Price stands right the fuck out though. That’s an absolute banger. 

Edited by wandshogun09

Dana White tells TMZ Sports he's thiiis close to closing a deal to host UFC fights on a private island -- where he would fly in fighters on private planes.

YES, THIS IS REAL!!!

The UFC boss tells us he's laser-focused on keeping the business alive during the COVID-19 pandemic -- starting with UFC 249 on April 18.

White says the location for that event is still top secret -- though he's locked up the mystery venue where it will take place for 2 months and plans on pumping out fights every week.

But, after that, White says he's planning to move the Octagon to the island -- where he will set up shop and host fights involving massive international fighters.

White says the deal for Fight Island isn't done yet -- but it's very close. And, no, we don't know what part of the world it's in.

White also revealed the rest of the card for UFC 249 ... which includes some pretty big fights including Rose Namajunas vs. Jessica Andrade and Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik.

Greg Hardy will also be on the card as well as Ray Borg, Jeremy Stephens and more.

I'm torn on Ferguson vs Gaethje. 

It would be a shame if Khabib vs Ferguson never happened. I adore Khabib as a fighter and believe him to be the best fighter in the world on current form. For me, he's the only serious contender to dethrone GSP as the GOAT.  However, while I don't completely buy into it myself, the general perception is that Ferguson would be Khabib's toughest fight. Therefore, to solidify his legacy, Khabib could really do with a decisive victory over Ferguson.

On the other hand, I prefer Gaethje to Ferguson on a personal level and think that he could give Khabib a few issues. It would be interesting to see how Khabib would deal with Gaethje's wrestling. I would pick Khabib - as his striking game is a bit underrated - but by no means would a Khabib victory be a formality. 

Luke Thomas reaction is brilliant. 

His first words on the fight was to express that it isn't 100% sure to happen, then he went into a huge rant about how it won't do all that well on PPV. 

Honestly, if I was as negative has he is about the sport I'd just pack it in and go do something else.

• Paid Members

I like Luke Thomas, ive become a fan over the course of the last year or so and his Morning Kombat show is excellent but ive had to ignore him during this pandemic thing. 

If that's the real card above, its an excellent one. I still dont like the idea of it happening without the traditional fight week build and hype cause it'll just feel abit weird and i also dont like the idea of it happening when everyone involved will have had limited camps, but if it happening, i guess im watching.

Edited by Egg Shen

36 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Private islands & weekly fights? This whole thing is gloriously batshit & is exactly what I need right now. 

If it isn’t called Fyte festival and descends into GAD offering a blowie for a bottle of water it’ll be a missed opportunity.