Studio Ghibli

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Were you looking to go any particular date? There seems to still be plenty of tickets available for the dates in July.

There also doesn’t seem to be the queue on the booking link anymore so you should be able to get straight through 

Ah, thanks for that. That's what I get for giving up too early.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

UK showings at the London Film Festival October 8th and 15th, so a full release can't be far away.

Tickets for those on sale Septmber 12th by the way.

Thought about going with my daughter but it's not dubbed and she can barely read, the idiot. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

UK showings at the London Film Festival October 8th and 15th, so a full release can't be far away.

Tickets for those on sale Septmber 12th by the way.

This idiot did a double post. 

Edited by Weezenal

2 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Does anyone know where Studio Ghibli was shown over here late 80s/early 90s? Always remember having Castle in the Sky and others recorded by my dad.

I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that it would be Channel 4, who showed a lot of late night anime.

I remember watching both Akira and Ghost In The Shell, at about 3am on random Friday or Saturday nights. 

Here is a review of The Boy & The Heron if anyone is interested (I haven't read it)

I see that this might not be Miyazakis final film after all. Truly the Terry Funk of animation.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that it would be Channel 4, who showed a lot of late night anime.

I remember watching both Akira and Ghost In The Shell, at about 3am on random Friday or Saturday nights. 

Here is a review of The Boy & The Heron if anyone is interested (I haven't read it)

I see that this might not be Miyazakis final film after all. Truly the Terry Funk of animation.

I can’t imagine anyone else showing it other than Channel 4, not on terrestrial TV at least.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Miyazaki was secretly still working during his “retirement”.  Not necessarily him doing it and then putting someone else’s name on it, but secretly consulting on certain aspects

Channel 4 did have a block of anime films as part of 4Later. Some of the Ghibli films might have been there. I didn't get FilmFour until after it became ad supported in the early 00s. Don't think i've seen Ghibli films on any other broadcaster. Chances are they've always had the rights.

https://www.geek-pride.co.uk/insomnia-channel-4-the-90s-and-an-introduction-to-anime/

Sci-Fi Channel also had an anime night, but don't think they ever had Ghibli films. Maybe Miyazki though. As i'm sure that's where I first saw Castle of Cagliostro and possibly Nausicaa.

• Paid Members

I remember BBC2 doing a mini-anime season (would have been at some point in 97-99 I guess) where they showed Akira, Roujin Z, something else and Nausica, Valley of The Wind. It was curated by Jonathan Ross. They showed Akira first and everything else kind of paled in comparison to that.

Edited by LaGoosh

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I got last minute tickets to see Joe Hisaishi in concert on Friday, playing music from every Miyazaki Ghibli film. An absolute joyous event, so glad I got to see it. 

In terms of when I first saw Ghibli, that I can remember, it was Princess Mononoke, which must have been early '00s on Channel 4. I didn't know what Ghibli was then, was just aware of "anime" or "manga" as a bit of a cultural bloc - so would have seen it around the time I first saw Akira, which I bought on DVD while working in HMV in 2001/2. It was probably another four or five years later that I became aware of Ghibli and Miyazaki specifically, rather than just seeing anime in general as just one big thing.

That said, I can't rule out that I saw Miyazaki's stuff years before I even knew what anime was, and just saw it as another cartoon - my ex-girlfriend's entry route into Ghibli is that she'd watched Sherlock Hound as a kid, and while I don't remember watching it, maybe I did? Same with some other pre-Ghibli Miyazaki projects, or early Ghibli international versions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...