Studio Ghibli

Devon Malcolm

• 1 month later...

New Miyazaki film How Do You Live is out in Japan tomorrow. No international release date as of yet. Absolutely, definitely, 100% his last film. Until the next.

Also, this is an absolutely wonderful long read on Ghibli and Miyazaki.

Originally in The New York Review behind a paywall, but I've freed it as thats what Hayao would do :)

https://archive.ph/Q1leI

Edit: a few initial reactions: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/jul/14/studio-ghibli-release-japan-anime-hayao-miyazaki

Edited by SuperBacon

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Another stage adaptation coming to London.

Dam. I’m already going to see My Neighbour Totoro on its second run in February, no way I can afford a second London trip so soon afterwards. 
If it’s a success I’m sure it’ll be back so I’ll have to catch it then

4 hours ago, Carbomb said:

😲

My favourite Miyazaki film! Got to see it.

It’s not my favourite (although I would say it is excellent for the most part) but I’ve had a change of thought since this morning. Fuck it, this is what credit cards are made for. Registered for when tickets go on sale and that’ll be the wife’s Wedding Anniversary present

• 4 weeks later...

Spirited Away London tickets go on sale September 5th (next Tuesday) to those who signed up for Priority, then on general sale on September 7th.

Dates also confirmed as running from April 30th to July 20th.

Also worth noting that the show is being presented in Japanese with English captions, as Mone Kamishiraishi is reprising the role of Chihiro

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I managed to get five tickets in the pre-sale yesterday. Got on the site 5 minutes before the sale started, at 10am I was automatically redirected to the actual site and was 24,000th in the queue. Hour and a half wait later I selected my tickets and the page decided to refresh itself. Another panicked 20 minute wait later and I'd bagged the seats I wanted. We'll be going the day after my youngest son's birthday and it's one of his favourite films so I can't wait to experience it with him. My two older kids are coming too because I didn't want to leave them out of a London trip but they've not seen the film yet so it could go either way.

On 8/30/2023 at 2:07 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Also worth noting that the show is being presented in Japanese with English captions

Oh. Oh fuck. I genuinely didn't know the stage version was in Japanese. Not an issue for me, my Mrs or my youngest son as we've seen the film in to double figures but my older kids are going to hate every second of this aren't they? The real question is, do I tell them in advance or save it as a fun surprise for when the show starts?

• Paid Members

I got tickets yesterday, but it was a bit of an ordeal - the queue was 30,000+, and the site went to a Cloudflare error screen almost immediately after I'd booked. I then had to get back in a queue just to get on to the Coliseum website in general to see if the tickets showed in my account, as I got no confirmation email. That eventually came through after about 45 minutes, but it was a tense moment. 

I also didn't know the play was in Japanese with translation, but I see that on the website now.

First teaser trailer for The Boy and the Heron should be out at 5pm today!

10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I got no confirmation email. That eventually came through after about 45 minutes, but it was a tense moment. 

I still haven't had one but I've took a screenshot of the confirmation page and order number and they show on my account so fingers crossed it's all OK.

7 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

I still haven't had one but I've took a screenshot of the confirmation page and order number and they show on my account so fingers crossed it's all OK.

They mention yesterday that due to the high demand it was slowing down confirmation emails being sent (mine didn’t come through until an hour after purchasing). They’ve said it could be a couple of days before they all get sent through, and to contact the London Coliseum Box Office via email if you still haven’t received it- 

https://x.com/spiritedldn/status/1699445173069992241?s=46&t=bCmXfcTWMg7CMw2PJ8-yLw

If it’s showing in your account and you took a screen shot you should be fine, but drop them an email if you’ve not received it in the next couple of days. I’m willing to give them some leeway as it’s been a massive launch. They tweeted earlier they’ve sold over 100,000 tickets just in the pre-sale

Edited by WyattSheepMask

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I missed out on tickets, so if anyone here for any reason finds they can't go and would like to sell, please drop me a line.

Were you looking to go any particular date? There seems to still be plenty of tickets available for the dates in July.

There also doesn’t seem to be the queue on the booking link anymore so you should be able to get straight through 

Edited by WyattSheepMask