Best Wrestler: 2019

Onyx2

Best Wrestler: 2019  

102 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Will Ospreay Easily.

Imagine the entire forum shitting on Jericho for practically 3/4s of the year and then voting him for best wrestler.

Although I absolutely agree with you that Ospreay is the best wrester of the year (incredible runs in both the BOSJ, NJC and G1, superb non-tourney matches with the likes of ELP, Ibuhsi, Amazing Red, Kyle Fletcher and Bandido, AND had the match with SHINGO that has been rightfully voted MOTY in many circles, forums and websites), you should know by now that this place is a different kettle of fish (Bizzaro World!) and that's part the reason why I like it here.

• Paid Members

It was a tough call between Jericho, Brock or Cody. They’ve all offered something this year to say they’re the best. I went with Brock though because he’s so diverse.

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Imagine the entire forum shitting on Jericho for practically 3/4s of the year and then voting him for best wrestler.

Same thing happened last year: Becky Lynch did fuck all until September and comfortably won Wrestler of The Year.

• Paid Members

In the ring, bell-to-bell, it's Ospreay by a mile. And outside of the ring, in terms of promos and character, it's Cody by a mile.

Professional wrestling is a mixture of both though, which is why Chris Jericho gets my vote this year. There's no-one in the business who's proven themselves to be as valuable and has delivered the goods more consistently than Jericho.

Despite getting older and developing the gut he's still had good to great matches with the likes of Cody, Omega, Naito, Okada, Jungle Boy and Darby Allin. Loads of fun tag matches with the Inner Circle, too. He's managed to do far less than ever before, yet make everything mean just as much. I love Ospreay flipping around like a maniac as much as anyone. I love Chris Jericho on a skateboard more though.

His aging rockstar character is one of the best of the last few years, he's delivered more incredible promos and segments in his short time in AEW than anyone has in years in any other promotion and, quite frankly, just imagine AEW without Chris Jericho. It'd be dead in the water. He's elevated that entire show and given the rub to countless guys. From Darby Allin, to Jungle Boy, to Scorpio Sky, to the entire Inner Circle. All of them have gone from relative obscurity to superstar status thanks to their interactions with Chris. Just go back and watch Sammy Guevara on that first show. He felt like a faceless jobber straight out of the rebooted World of Sport on ITV. And yet now? Absolute star.

Beside, even if we ignored what an absolute stonking year Jericho has had, where even on fucking commentary he's proven to be a level above practically everyone else, this vignette alone would be enough to win the award. Genuinely one of the best things anyone in the business has produced in decades.

7 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Will Ospreay Easily.

That's what's made Jericho's AEW run all the more enjoyable. For years he's spoken about himself as an all-time great and everyone has been laughing behind his back. Well, no fucker is laughing now. Sure, he'll never be as big a star as The Rock, Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold. But seriously, can you name another wrestler in history who could walk into a brand new company and produce this amount of good stuff, seemingly coming up with all of it himself? Yeah, there might be better performers, and yeah, there might be bigger stars, but in terms of being the full package? A phenomenal talent and having one of the best minds for this stuff? He might actually be as good as he thinks he is!

Edited by Supremo

My reasoning was simple.

Brock: I've watched barely any WWE since last year's Wrestlemania so that ruled him out.

Osprey: I've watched barely any New Japan since last year's Wrestle Kingdom (though slightly more than WWE) so that ruled him out as well. Plus he's a bellend.

So that left it close between Cody and Jericho for me. Thanks Tilde for helping me make my mind up.

• Paid Members

Tilde's post is great. One thing that just struck me about this year's awards though - my impression is that he's always been thought of as pretty average, so who would have thought Cody would end up being up for Best Wrestler, Best Babyface, Best Feud (twice) and Best Match?

• Onyx2 locked this topic