Facts that make you feel old

Chilly McFreeze

• Paid Members
On 3/24/2024 at 8:44 AM, Statto said:

All the twentysomethings answered with an act who had (in my opinion) peaked before the fan had turned 4, most of the acts had been active long before that fan had been born. 

I live in an area of London that has a pretty high kids/teenagers population and lots of green spaces near schools and colleges so when it's sunny there's always loads of them about and often listening to music and it never fails to blow my mind that the music they all seem to exclusively listen to is stuff from when I was in my early 20s, a teenager or before. I once saw a large group of teenagers getting drunk in the park all going crazy for "Bonkers" by Dizzee Rascal, for example. The equivalent for me would have been me as a teenager and my mates pissed on cider at the local golf course banging out Luther Vandross or something which would have never happened in a million years.

I always just think "don't you kids have your own music?". Each generation having their own specific hits and fresh new scenes that they can later tie with certain periods of their lives is important, and it's a shame that they don't seem to have that.

• Members
32 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Each generation having their own specific hits and fresh new scenes that they can later tie with certain periods of their lives is important, and it's a shame that they don't seem to have that.

Of course they do. It's just that you're not aware of it as you're older now and not their peer.

When I was my eldests age, I was listening to rap and rock that was current but I was also listening to a lot of Public Enemy and Led Zeppelin.

My eldests two favourite acts are probably Taylor Swift and Nirvana. Nothing ever changes.

If anything I'd say because they have easier access to much older music than we did, it creates much more interesting tastes than we ever had.

• Paid Members

One for the football fans. When Baddiel and Skinner reminisced about "that tackle by Moore" in the lyrics to Three Lions, it was 26 years previous and "when Lineker scored" in Italia 90 despite feeling an age previous, was in fact only 6 years. Three Lions itself and the pain of the Euro 96 semi final exit are already now 28 years old.

In two summers time, we'll have had 30 more years of hurt since the original song of 30 years of hurt.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I've got a vague feeling that BomberPat might have advanced this theory (my memory is utter dogshit though, so I'm most likely wrong), but it could also be that one of the reasons why younger generations listen to older music together is because the internet has now made the consumption of music a highly personal and individuated experience, to the point where young people may feel that the only music they're comfortable playing in gathering/party situations is songs which everybody knows, i.e. were played in clubs, bars, at festivals, etc., and bonded over.

2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

One for the football fans. When Baddiel and Skinner reminisced about "that tackle by Moore" in the lyrics to Three Lions, it was 26 years previous and "when Lineker scored" in Italia 90 despite feeling an age previous, was in fact only 6 years. Three Lions itself and the pain of the Euro 96 semi final exit are already now 28 years old.

In two summers time, we'll have had 30 more years of hurt since the original song of 30 years of hurt.

Fun fAcT: We are now further away from England's World Cup win than it is from the building of the Pyramids

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I've got a vague feeling that BomberPat might have advanced this theory (my memory is utter dogshit though, so I'm most likely wrong), but it could also be that one of the reasons why younger generations listen to older music together is because the internet has now made the consumption of music a highly personal and individuated experience, to the point where young people may feel that the only music they're comfortable playing in gathering/party situations is songs which everybody knows, i.e. were played in clubs, bars, at festivals, etc., and bonded over.

Yeah, that's basically it, I think - if you're not getting your music from radio, magazines, music TV, Top Of The Pops, and so on, it's a lot harder for music to become so much of a social, communal experience. Similarly, music just isn't tied to time any more - there were teenagers posting the "you're not ready for this, but your kids are going to love it" meme about Kate Bush after Stranger Things, as if she hadn't been one of the biggest stars of her era, but just in general, the way music consumption works now is that a song from 20 or 40 years ago is just as likely to become a hit as a song that came out last week.

That said, it does feel like that whole theory is missing something, and the general "the young people don't have their own music" vibe doesn't work when Taylor Swift is one of the biggest stars of all-time. 

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah I think this started pre-pandemic but because of that slowing everything down the trend is still going now and if anything is even bigger, I've said it before but it's impossible to walk into town without seeing a million mini moshers in 2000's era goth gear. But there's also the more mainstream Britney/Xtina styles going around, too

I am embracing this a little bit, initially I felt I was too old to do fashions the second time round and then I thought fuck it and went and bought some 90s All Saints style cargos and a carbon copy of my beloved 90's/early 2000's baggy jeans that sweep the road as I walk down the street and will end up wet to the knees when it rains. I probably look embarrassing to any teenagers that know me but I'm so happy to be comfortable again.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That said, it does feel like that whole theory is missing something, and the general "the young people don't have their own music" vibe doesn't work when Taylor Swift is one of the biggest stars of all-time. 

Thing is, Taylor Swift has been knocking about since 2006. The argument could be made that she's not "young people's music" any more than, say, The Killers or Lady Gaga - she essentially built the foundations of her career in the vinegar strokes of "the old system", so to speak. I wouldn't swear to this, but I'd be willing to bet that it's very unlikely for someone to be as big a star as she is if her career had started in the last five to ten years or so.

As regards a general principle of what young people listen to, I really do think it comes down to the internet democratising culture (as always, to a limited degree, taking into account economic and social constraints), and that perhaps the reason why we don't know what's down with the young whippersnappers is simply that it's not an easily-identifiable monolith any more. They listen to what they like by looking specifically for it, and they consume it with like-minded other people, and so you're only likely to spot one aspect of youth music culture at any one time.

Edited by Carbomb

I haven't gone back to full on JNCO jeans but I've got myself more than one pair of baggy cargo camo pants (one being a proper realtree looking pair), plus I never stopped wearing band shirts and Vans anyway.. the only real difference is I'm not repping Slipknot on my chest, it's Lingua Ignota instead.

I think one thing that blows the "kids not having their own music" thing out off the water is bloody K-Pop.

Edited by Merzbow

I still have band shirts and get annoyed when I see knock offs in H&M (saw an Alice in Chains one last week) - mainly because I don't think the bands actually get any money out of it.

I have started listening to Linkin Park again whilst working out at the gym so I'm really embracing this.

• Paid Members

I was in a Euro 2024 prediction league at work and was in a big WhatsApp group for it. I came last and posted in the group that my excuse was not watching much football since El Hadji Diouf burst on to the scene at 2002 World Cup. Hardly anyone had heard of him and half the group hadn’t even been born then