Best crisps?

TheToeSucker

12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I've never had the Torres paprika ones, but the black truffle ones are my absolute favourite. The fried egg ones are great too. And the caviar ones are very weird, but I quite like them.

@SuperBacon is right, the Paprika flavour is rough - but I agree with you too, the truffle ones are fantastic, and I always buy the fried egg crisps any time I see them for sale. They absolutely nail the flavour. I've not tried the caviar crisps, although I have seen them about. I can imagine what they'd taste like - extremely salty - and the thought alone is enough to put my off. Based on your recommendation - generally very reliable - I might give them a go, though. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

@SuperBacon is right, the Paprika flavour is rough - but I agree with you too, the truffle ones are fantastic, and I always buy the fried egg crisps any time I see them for sale. They absolutely nail the flavour. I've not tried the caviar crisps, although I have seen them about. I can imagine what they'd taste like - extremely salty - and the thought alone is enough to put my off. Based on your recommendation - generally very reliable - I might give them a go, though. 

I should emphasise that I think the caviar ones are likely to be very divisive - I like them, but I can easily see why others wouldn't. Essentially, if you're not a fan of fish roe in general, I don't think you'll like them. Quite salty, with a hint of fish. 

15 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

@SuperBacon Where did you get those cheese & cayenne Lays?

Polish shop in Southampton. Well, I say Polish as most of the products in there I recognise as being that, but I've just checked and its just called Euro Store.

Not sure if that's a chain or not, but it was stacked with things from all over, and crisps/drinks I've never seen over here.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

Polish shop in Southampton. Well, I say Polish as most of the products in there I recognise as being that, but I've just checked and its just called Euro Store.

Not sure if that's a chain or not, but it was stacked with things from all over, and crisps/drinks I've never seen over here.

I don't think it is a chain but there is a shop called that in Manchester. There's also a couple of skleps in Stockport, I'll see if they have them, ta.

71J4LwubGSL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I picked these up in Iceland. They're...fine. The wagyu part of the name cunningly lured me in, but these taste like any other beef crisp, with a punch of mustard hitting you as an aftertaste. Rather than the two flavours combining, bizarrely, it ends up feeling like two separate flavours that you experience consecutively. Although I'm not a huge fan of the mustard flavour, it's pretty accurate so if you like the idea of that in a crisp, you'll probably enjoy these. Me? I wouldn't buy them again. I'm not even sure I'll finish the pack. 

867799_NA_1__79190.1700167785.jpg?c=1

Another Iceland special. They were dirt cheap where I am, so regardless of what I'm about to say, they're probably worth trying. The only way that I can describe the taste is like that of a smokey bacon crisp that got a bit confused. I suppose. if I'm being kinder, I could say they taste a bit like a premium quality smokey bacon crisp, and the ham flavour isn't inaccurate; but I'm not detecting much of a truffle taste. They're certainly better than the Wagyu Beef and Mustard Crisps, but I wouldn't go as far as to recommend them...at full price. They're pretty cheap right now given that it's not Christmas time anymore, so maybe it's worth it. If you like the idea and aren't too arsed about the fact there's only the slightest hint of truffle, you might like this. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Has anybody's Premier offy suddenly decided to stock half its shelves with Irish products or is just Raja Brothers near us?

The offshoot of this is that ours has tons of Tayto crisps and they're very good. Probably just a notch above Golden Wonder for me. I don't know what's inspired this 'Irish Product Festival' they have going on but I'm not complaining.

5 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Has anybody's Premier offy suddenly decided to stock half its shelves with Irish products or is just Raja Brothers near us?

The offshoot of this is that ours has tons of Tayto crisps and they're very good. Probably just a notch above Golden Wonder for me. I don't know what's inspired this 'Irish Product Festival' they have going on but I'm not complaining.

Ours has sold Tayto crisps for a few years now. They’re decent, but as far as the flavours I’ve tried go, I think I prefer Walkers; especially when it comes to the cheese and onion flavour.

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Am I now going to bloody Fareham on Monday just because there is a Premier? Yes. #GarthCrisping

• Paid Members

I found some in Aldi the other week that were Wagyu dripping roast potato flavour, and they were so bland. Roast potato flavoured crisps are an odd idea anyway, but they just tasted like fat. I thought there might have been a slight hint of beef to them, but nothing.

I've tried those Herr's. They had them at the Cash and Carry by the box, and I'd keep trying to scan an individual bag but it'd never let me, and everywhere I saw them they were like £5 which I'm not paying for crisps until the cost of living forces me to. They started selling them at this little place near home that has all these end of line and "back of a lorry" products they knock out on the cheap for a quid, and they were decent. 

I've been enjoying those Takis whenever I find them at an affordable price. There's various levels of heat and flavour to them, but they're decent.

2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I found some in Aldi the other week that were Wagyu dripping roast potato flavour, and they were so bland. Roast potato flavoured crisps are an odd idea anyway, but they just tasted like fat. I thought there might have been a slight hint of beef to them, but nothing.

I had these and really liked them. I was expecting more of a rich ready salted flavour, but found them surprisingly beefy!

Likewise we had those Wagyu and Mustard Savoursmiths and really loved them although my wife described them as 'Lady Fame Brannigans'.

• Paid Members

I was quite dismayed that I couldn't find any Mackie's haggis flavour with it having been Burns night the other night. 

33 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I was quite dismayed that I couldn't find any Mackie's haggis flavour with it having been Burns night the other night. 

Mackie’s crisps are no more - they’ve rebranded as Taylor’s. As far as I know they still do the haggis crisps, so hopefully you’ll be able to pick some up if you’re craving a bag.