Best crisps?

TheToeSucker

27 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Been munching through a bag of Lays Iconic Subway Teriyaki crisps. 

Very nice but too many in one go though as it gives a funny taste. Would buy again.

I do like a good rummage in the local foreign shops!

The Pizza Hut ones were meh. Better than our Max ones though. 

Right strap in. There's been a lot of crisp activity recently.

Let's start with the ones I've had from the incredibly expensive fruit and veg shop in the village.

Brown Bag Crisps - Oak Smoked Chilli.

spacer.png

Phenomenal. A really nice smack of spice and heat and turn your fingers yellow like you've smoked too many tabs. 9/10

Taylors - Pigs In Blankets

spacer.png

Formally Mackies? This was my first time trying these and the flavour was nice but quite light, but what impressed me was the thickness of the crisp. Proper. Reminded me of something and I can't remember. Maybe Brannigans. 8/10

Taylors - Boxing Day Curry

spacer.png

Same as before with the thickness, these tasted like a Korma. I liked them but can see them being dividing. 7/10

Peters Yard - Kashmiri Chilli Sourdough Bites

spacer.png

Technically not a crisp but I don't care. Incredible. Polished off the bag with a lemon flavour houmous which was heaven. 10/10

Walkers - Pigs In Blankets

spacer.png

Walkers are crap these days but these were great. Really nailed the flavour with the sausage really shining through (fnar fnar) 9/10

Walkers - Buttered Festive Turkey

spacer.png

A hate crime of a crisp. 0/10

Walkers Sensations - Beef Wellington

spacer.png

Really nice to start with but the deeper you get, it gets a bit sickly with a strange red wine taste which I didn't like. Obviously I finished them. 6/10

A couple of weeks ago we went to a new garden centre and one of the first things I saw was this. My ex told me to calm down as I was apparently embarrassing her with my reaction.

spacer.png

Have never tried Brets, and was beside myself but I'd forgotten my card! She said she would buy me one pack (readers I cannot bring myself to tell you the price,  hence why she would only buy the one packet) and she would come back and get me some for Xmas (I'm hard to buy for so she was incredibly pleased at discovering these) I really hope she gets me the Camembert ones.

Brets - Aioli 

spacer.png

Those smelly smelly French bastards have done it again. Mon dieu. That clip is needed as it stank out my whole house. 11/10

I've also tried Co-Op - Pigs In Blanket ones (OK but I'm not a fan of ridged crisps all that much) and some Piri Piri ones from Marks (wicked, would buy again) and that does look like a lot of crisps and the prices of some of them make me heave but YOLO, and I don't really spend much money on myself. Just crisps and coffee really. A simple man.

On 11/27/2023 at 10:24 PM, SuperBacon said:

Been suffering with incredibly bad heartburn/acid reflux recently.

God, I wonder why?

17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Technically not a crisp but I don't care. Incredible. Polished off the bag with a lemon flavour houmous which was heaven. 10/10

I LOVE Peter's Yard products, they're so bloody good. Also not a crisp, but I used to devour their rye and charcoal crackers without even putting anything on them, the flavour is just so good. 

I also love your posts in this thread - they've basically dictated my crisp buying habits for the past 12-months. 

I'm not with you on the pigs in blanket crisps, though. They do actually manage to capture the flavour pretty well, but they just weren't for me. Then again, I don't really like pigs in blankets so clearly I'm not the right person to be commenting on this. The turkey ones are also horrendous, but not anywhere near the level of awful brought by the Walkers Christmas Pudding flavour crisp. As soon as you open the packet, you get a strong whiff that resembles a Christmas Yankee Candle. I've never wanted to eat one of those, and consequently I didn't want to eat the crisp. 

I did though, and it's still haunting me. Don't even try it out of curiosity. Christmas pudding crisps sound like a bad idea, they are and I'll leave it at that. 

• Paid Members

My local hipster-fied Londis sells all sorts of brands, including Bret's. I was very much intrigued by the Tartiflette flavour (I think it's a sort of variation of a baked Camembert dish, going by the picture on the packet). Might pick them up when I'm next there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 12/7/2023 at 2:36 PM, Carbomb said:

My local hipster-fied Londis sells all sorts of brands, including Bret's. I was very much intrigued by the Tartiflette flavour (I think it's a sort of variation of a baked Camembert dish, going by the picture on the packet). Might pick them up when I'm next there.

IMG20231223182135.thumb.jpg.4798281eb64d2b6124f6a297bed92515.jpg

These were fuggin' delicious. Basically a sort of goat's cheese tart flavour. Addictive. Good, strong flavour, could taste cheese, cooked onion, and perhaps a little ham.

There was also a chilli and goat's cheese flavour one. Will try next time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Got the goat's cheese and chilli one - probably appropriate they're called "Bret's", because they're the Excellence of Execution (although I wouldn't necessarily say they're the best there are, was, and ever will be - they're up against a lot of competition).

Really addictive, very flavoursome. The saltiness of the cheese and the smokiness of the chilli combine nicely. As I understand it, Espelette chillis are one of those Protected Origin items. IMG_20240108_235600.thumb.jpg.6f0f4b8e53286e28b4bd91123d0d3cb2.jpg

8 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Got the goat's cheese and chilli one - probably appropriate they're called "Bret's", because they're the Excellence of Execution (although I wouldn't necessarily say they're the best there are, was, and ever will be - they're up against a lot of competition).

I really like goat's cheese, but I can't imagine it in a crisp at all - do they manage to replicate the flavour well? 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I really like goat's cheese, but I can't imagine it in a crisp at all - do they manage to replicate the flavour well? 

Yeh, it's pretty good - not quite as pungent, but it's definitely distinctive.

Spending my lunch break updating you all on the crisps I've eaten. Aren't you all lucky. Let's get some Christmas present related ones out of the way first. That's right, as you might have seen in another thread, my family got me a basket of crisps. The best lads.

Torres De La Vera Smoked Paprika

Actually these were a present to myself, when I ordered some expensive food items for my ex and my god what a disappointment. Bloody expensive for what they are, the oil used is horrendous and worst of all, within an hour they were chewy. CHEWY!!! Fuck off Spain. Brexit was the right thing to happen. 1/10

spacer.png

Brets Saveur Chevre piment d'Esplette

As Carbomb says, yeah these are wicked, and as per the Hitmans classic way of speaking, I'm referring to them as "the crisps" They absolutely stink though and even a clip hasn't helped pong out the cupboard. 9/10

spacer.png

Andy Capps Hot Fries

Nothing groundbreaking, they're spicy chipsticks after all, but they're great. It never ceases to amaze me that the States loves Andy Capp as to me its just always been a shit cartoon in the Mirror. 8/10

spacer.png

Howdah Onion Bhaji snacks 

Technically not a crisp, more a corn based snack, but these are amazing. If you ever see them, get them. Tastes just like a bhaji but without the onion being overwhelming. Vegan too. 9/10

spacer.png

Lays Pizza Hut Margherita 

Bit too Tomatoey for my liking, but decent enough. 6/10

spacer.png

Herrs Jalapeño Cheese Curls

Cannot stress how much I loved these. They were massive, so thick with the coating they were practically heavy and nails the spice level. 10/10 

spacer.png

So that's all the presents, but the fun doesn't stop. A trip to Southampton last week means football and arcades, but more importantly the Polish shops!

Crunchips Terrifying Jalapeño & Cream Cheese Inferno

Outstanding. Tastes exactly like a jalapeño popper or a jalapeño bite or whatever. God tier crisps. 10/10

spacer.png

Lays Strong Cheese & Cayenne

Again, just superb and slightly more spicy than the others. Like an absolute twat, I mistakenly threw out about a fifth of the bag as I thought I'd put my old coffee filters in it (had no bin bags and tend to put them in empty crisp packets when I run out so they dont drip) and have been fuming for about a week. 10/10

spacer.png

I had to contain myself as I'd already spent a shitload that day, and whilst they weren't expensive at all, even I have limits. But notes have been taken.

Current Rennies consumption: Between 4 and 6 a day. 

• Paid Members

I've never had the Torres paprika ones, but the black truffle ones are my absolute favourite. The fried egg ones are great too. And the caviar ones are very weird, but I quite like them.

4 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I've never had the Torres paprika ones, but the black truffle ones are my absolute favourite. The fried egg ones are great too. And the caviar ones are very weird, but I quite like them.

Will take your word for it as I'll never try them, having been burned on this occasion. 

I haven't been this disappointed in a Torres since he scored to put Chelsea in the CL final.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

I haven't been this disappointed in a Torres since he scored to put Chelsea in the CL final.

I think if you try them, you won't have been that pleased by a Torres since B'Elanna in Voyager.