The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They definitely need something for Hangman to sink his teeth into as champ, which he hasn't had at the moment. 

The problem is he can't really measure up to Daniel Bryan. I'm sure they'll have a great match, but the gulf in personality is gigantic. 

13 minutes ago, gmoney said:

The problem is he can't really measure up to Daniel Bryan. I'm sure they'll have a great match, but the gulf in personality is gigantic. 

It's a tough call because Hangman's personality has never really been one of his selling points. They managed to deal with his character in a subtle way that he didn't need to have a BIG personality or anything like that. It was all told in the quiet moments and the story itself. Is he the guy you want on commentary or having long promo battles or whatever? No, absolutely not. But above all else he was made into someone that people genuinely cared about. So the real question is how do they maintain that emotional connection with him when people have already seen him succeed? Once he's moved on from Bryan he'll still have the same personality issues with a lot of the rest of the roster.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Supremo said:

Whisper it quietly.

I think I want Bryan Danielson to win the title at Winter is Coming.

FICKLE!

Nah, but in all seriousness Hangman needs to start showing some proper fire or acts like Danielson, Punk and Moxley are going to eat him alive.

Pretty bad show this week overall. Most things not Bryan Danielson seemed off. MJF was shockingly bad. Favourite bit was the glorious Wardlow squash, more of that and he's going to be a hot babyface in no time. Cody Rhodes is just the fucking worst. What an idiot he is.

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Favourite bit was the glorious Wardlow squash, more of that and he's going to be a hot babyface in no time.

I forgot about that while I was writing my post, that was a load of fun. It might be difficult to fit in, given that MJF is feuding with Punk right now, but I wonder if Wardlow will end up being the one to win the Dynamite Diamond this year, even if it does culminate in him giving the diamond to MJF after the fact?

I'm going to agree with most people here in saying that something felt off about this show. It was *weird*. Like I was high or something.

Going against the grain, however, I will say I enjoyed the shit out of the main event. The flame retardant whatver Cody and Andrade had on (I spent half the match wondering why the both of them had got so sun burned they were peeling during this match) aside, it was just stupid chaos and, as I said previously, I'm kind of into the Codyverse now because of the chaos. Also, it was double odd for me because I was watching a FITE TV grab and the match cut out for 10 minutes, in the middle of a pretty normal street fight, and comes back with Jose running around all buff, Cody has a golden shovel and Brandi sets shit on fire. It was very much "well, that escalated quickly".

But, yes, Cody went through the flaming table, Andrade just kinda went over it. That was silly. The golden shovel is a Triple H reference, right? If it was just that, I'd still be leaning towards Cody turning eventually, but with everything else in the match, I'm not so sure.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

I blame everyone who praised last week’s effort for that shit we got from MJF last night. You all encouraged his worst traits. Try-hard edge lord dunking. The Britt Baker lines were some of his worst ever. Barely even made sense. Punk’s feuds with Kingston and MJF are like the opposite ends of the want-to-see-them-fight spectrum.

I’m glad it’s not just me who’s found Hangman a bit underwhelming as Champion. I almost feel bad saying it because I was so invested in the chase, but the only thing separating this from the worst Wrestlemania comedowns is that he’s feuding with Danielson rather than Kane. He absolutely shat the bed at the announcers desk this week, too. Proper Britt Baker’d it. I dunno. I think the awkward, stilted delivery was endearing when he was the underdog, but it doesn’t sit right now that he’s the Champion. It also doesn’t help that Danielson is the fucking man. He’s completely dwarfing Hangman in his feud. I genuinely think I’d prefer Bryan to take the belt to make Hangman interesting again.

• Paid Members

What got Hangman over initially was doing great stuff like coming to the ring with a pint, making Nick Jackson hold it, hitting the Buckshot then taking his pint back and fucking off. He needs to go back to doing that shit now he's Champion. 

Bloody hell the poor fucker hasn't even defended the strap once. 

Edit. 

Also imo Hangman trying to bait Danielson into a match when he's already had a match and this week into hitting him and risking the match being prosponed/called off is pretty interesting stuff.

Seems likes he's deliberately being portrayed as still lacking confidence and imo insecure about being a weak champion. 

Omega was only the first hurdle. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

It's very early days for Hangman. Once he has a less transitional feud to sink his teeth into, he'll be absolutely fine. Part of his strength as a character is his ability to show vulnerability and act human. When he's defending the Dark Order against a bully, he's not really having to do that. I suspect the sentiment would have been different had his first opponent been Moxley. Although Danielson is a great heel, Moxley has the ability to come across as truly sinister, violent and dangerous. I think the Hangman character needs an opponent like that in order to thrive. That's exactly what Miro will be, if and when that feud happens. Malaki Black too. Given that this feud was a backup plan, I think it can be excused for any shortcomings. On the whole, I think it's enjoyable - just not as red hot as what came before it. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think Hangman is suffering the negative effects of plans changing. Crazy, violent Moxley would have been the perfect feud after the winning the belt.

I also think there’s a sense of post-nut-clarity here, too. The chase was so good and the crescendo was so incredible, I wonder if anything could have followed it. It was perhaps inevitable that whatever came after beating Omega was always going to feel like a disappointment.

I’m sure the momentum will come. No need to start setting yourself on fire just yet.

Here's a twist....

Hangman wins at Winter is Coming, but then batters Danielson after the match. DO come down and try to stop it telling Page that's enough. Page then turns on the DO and goes through them but they get the upper hand and start a beatdown....only for him to be saved by the Bucks and Cole and Page is then 'crowned' the new leader of the Elite/SuperKliq and opens up loads of feuds with the faces. Especiallyafter the nod from Jackson to Page during the title match. I still think that will become important down the line. Roll on 4 months and the DO are starting to lose regularly to the Elite and they need some fresh blood and momentum. Enter Kenny Omega. Theres a perfect set up for the title rematch as well as perhaps Stadium Stampede 3.

Or something like that....