UKFF Top 50 Games: 10th Anniversary Edition

Onyx2

10 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I liked it, but I was always a Final Fight guy (no pun intended). Probably because of Mike Haggar, what a character. Did he ever make his way into any of the Street Fighter games? I know the other two did (the weird convict incarnation of Cody that threw potatoes at people was shit).

They threw him in Saturday Night Slam Masters instead, he was also in Marvel Vs Capcom 3

5 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Interested in seeing Loki's. I'm hoping due to his involvement in the industry that his top 10 might be from a different perspective to the rest of us.

I'd love to say that's true, but it's really just a list of the games I've lost most hours playing  😄  I kind of ran out of time writing it as well this morning.  Happy to have it posted afterwards though. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I liked it, but I was always a Final Fight guy (no pun intended). Probably because of Mike Haggar, what a character. Did he ever make his way into any of the Street Fighter games? I know the other two did (the weird convict incarnation of Cody that threw potatoes at people was shit).

As Tilde said he's in MVC3 and the Slammasters series. I imagine they're holding off on the Haggar/Zangief dream match. 

Without Final Fight there'd arguably be no Streets Of Rage, or it'd be very different from how we know it. There were so many great Capcom beat 'em ups off the back of it as well. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

My take is that while THSP2 was incredible and I played the hell out of it, I much prefer THPS3 because it introduced the game-changing 'revert' ability and THUG had the first proper story with larger levels. I spent HOURS on THPS2 on the Dreamcast, but I spent DAYS on THSP3 and THUG on the PS2.

I’d love to say fair enough, but I’d be lying to you, haha. 3 and THUG are great games in fairness.

Since submitting my list I’ve always assumed that I had several interchangeable numbers 1’s. I’ve thought about it and I truly think that my favourite game of all time is Tony Hawks 2. We had that game set up at house parties, I skipped a moc exam day because I was 5 goals away from game completion.

I’ve told the daft long story on here before (first dates thread I think) about how I met my now wife. Part of that story was about meeting each other as teens on holiday and months later me having a crackers dream with her in it, that managed to combine Alice in Wonderland & Tony Hawks pro skater. 

What I didn’t say was that it was in fact Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, specifically the Venice Beach level that infiltrated my dream, lending the setting for the madness that ensued, leading me to phone the girl, who I’m now married too.

So yeah, I think THPS2 wins the battle of best game for me. 

I think how bad recent Tony Hawk's games have been has completely clouded for me just how fantastic the first few were, because I didn't even think of the absolutely stonking phenomenal THPS3 until seeing the above posts... after submitting my list :(

Just discovered it was also the last game released for the N64? I assume that was a massively different version to the sprawling levels that were in the PS2 version - always remember 3 seeming like the first properly 'next gen' game I'd played upon getting my PS2.

• Paid Members

I was awful at the mainline console ones, but I almost managed to 100% Tony Hawk 3 on GameBoy Advance it did a decent job recreating the levels in an isometric viewpoint. I got the first THUG as well. Didn't play it as much. It was a great game.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I had that too!  A surprisingly good game.

The GBA was a smart piece of kit. The flip lid one was way cool, I still  play mine occasionally.

• Paid Members

the SP was better than the GBA in that it had a backlit screen, but the layout of the buttons wasn't as good. Had a great version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo. Impressive version of Alpha 3 as well. FirePro was fantastic.

• Awards Moderator
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Without Final Fight there'd arguably be no Streets Of Rage

No arguably about it. Sega commissioned it as a direct response to Final Fight being a SNES exclusive. As it turns out Megadrive got the better deal. Final Fight had no multiplayer and not even all the characters on one cartridge! 

• Paid Members

It wasn't until the MegaCD that they got a version. I'm surprised they didn't do a MegaCD version of SOR2. That  soundtrack as CD Audio would  have sounded even better. I know the first one turned up on that 5 game compilation.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’d love to say fair enough, but I’d be lying to you, haha. 3 and THUG are great games in fairness.

Since submitting my list I’ve always assumed that I had several interchangeable numbers 1’s. I’ve thought about it and I truly think that my favourite game of all time is Tony Hawks 2. We had that game set up at house parties, I skipped a moc exam day because I was 5 goals away from game completion.

I’ve told the daft long story on here before (first dates thread I think) about how I met my now wife. Part of that story was about meeting each other as teens on holiday and months later me having a crackers dream with her in it, that managed to combine Alice in Wonderland & Tony Hawks pro skater. 

What I didn’t say was that it was in fact Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, specifically the Venice Beach level that infiltrated my dream, lending the setting for the madness that ensued, leading me to phone the girl, who I’m now married too.

So yeah, I think THPS2 wins the battle of best game for me. 

Yep, I can't really argue with an emotional backstory like that! Top stuff!

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Accident Prone said:

Yep, I can't really argue with an emotional backstory like that! Top stuff!

I’m sure my wife really appreciates the fact that I’m telling people our relationship developed from Tony Hawks 2.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I’m sure my wife really appreciates the fact that I’m telling people our relationship developed from Tony Hawks 2.

Tony Hawks 1 played a role in me and my wife's relationship! During the summer holidays back in 2000, not long after we started seeing each other, we played it quite a lot with Marshall Mathers LP playing on repeat.