Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I've seen both done incredibly well, i've seen both done incredibly badly.

Oddisee w/ live band was a highlight of gigs last year. They all worked really well together and friends who had gone not knowing much about Oddisee assumed they were always a band

Roni Size w/ live orchestra was tonnes of fun. Again, the original musician collaborating with the additionals.

Jeff Mills w/ orchestra was an interesting excercise in joining the dots between 20th century classical minimalism and techno minimalism (didn't actually see this one in person though, i heard it was maybe a bit less involving live because no-one quite knew what to do with themselves)

 

Any of these "full orchestra covers XXX band or YYY genre classics" tend to be fairly crap, probably due to the usual issues of cover bands. It's a copy not a recreation. Basically turning blue monday into a MIDI reconstruction. Whereas generally with original person involved their writing a variation on their music with additional tools in the toolbox

Edited by organizedkaos
  • Members
Posted
3 minutes ago, organizedkaos said:

Oddisee w/ live band was a highlight of gigs last year. They all worked really well together and friends who had gone not knowing much about Oddisee assumed they were always a band

Yeah he's an excellent performer but his music is mostly live band recorded and/or with that very much in mind, similar to The Roots, so it's always going to sound good.

I think what Chest hates (and sorry for speaking for you) is live band applied to rap that was never made with that in mind, as it just sounds horrific. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I think what Chest hates (and sorry for speaking for you) is live band applied to rap that was never made with that in mind, as it just sounds horrific. 

There’s a happy hybrid. Public Enemy perform with a live band and obviously a DJ and they’re incredible live. 

  • Members
Posted
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

There’s a happy hybrid. Public Enemy perform with a live band and obviously a DJ and they’re incredible live. 

Don't think I've ever seen them perform with a full band. Or have I? I dunno, it's been a long day.

Erm, fight the power.

Posted
15 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Don't think I've ever seen them perform with a full band. Or have I? I dunno, it's been a long day.

Erm, fight the power.

I suppose it’s your definition of a full band. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'm pretty sure Argylle is going to be shit, but we have souvenir popcorn buckets and drink cups that, along with $7 cinema tickets, make going to the pictures very cheap, so popcorn for dinner with a shite movie it is on Friday. 

  • Moderators
Posted
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

There’s a happy hybrid. Public Enemy perform with a live band and obviously a DJ and they’re incredible live. 

Yeah, no thanks. Can just imagine how shit it would be having a live guitarist playing the riff on she watch channel zero.

Apart from for bring the noise that sounds wholly unnecessary and bad.

  • Paid Members
Posted
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Dr Dre

I’d completely forgotten about him.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Sergio Mendacious said:

I'm pretty sure Argylle is going to be shit

I'm so sure that even I'm not going to see it, even with Dua Lipa in it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...