R.I.P Silver King

RIDDUM_N_STYLE

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Christ, the footage is horrible to watch. And the ref and Juvi dont cover themselves in glory at all. The referee especially is just standing there like a cunt. What a horrible situation.

I can't believe they insist on rolling him over to cover him. I can only assume and hope they both thought he was having a laugh or something because surely the minute you know he's in trouble so bad he's dead weight on his front and not responding all bets are off and you get someone who knows what they are doing double quick. 

I would like to think the kick from Juve was more a "The fuck you doing sandbagging me?" rather than anything more deliberate, given that with some old school stars, the show must go on, so it's not beyond possibility King said he was "ok, just buy me some time". 

The moment Juve tries to roll him over, the ref should have stepped in, waved it off. Fuck it, call it a KO finish. The delay in getting him any attention, I'm afraid to say, took any chance he had away from him. 

LLW posted on their FB that they "believe he suffered a cardiac arrest"

Edited by bigfoote

Remember when a few people were up in arms when the news came out the WWE wanted every show with one of their NXT guys to have a paramedic there? One of the instances where they were completely in the right. Obviously we won't know until more details emerge, but this could have been an entirely avoidable situation. 

Horrible for all involved. RIP.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

but this could have been an entirely avoidable situation.

You're 100% right there. Assuming that this is indeed a case of someone having a heart attack whilst taking part in a strenuous activity, this should have been one of the 'best' places to have it.

He could have just as easily been out running/cycling/whatever alone, miles from help and collapsed just the same. But at a wrestling event, where the risk of severe (even life threatening) injury is always there, surely some competent help should have been at hand?

Poor bloke. RIP.

Was the referee Black Terry? 

I would assume the venue would have had first aid trained staff as well as the show itself. Not that first aiders equate to professionals obviously. As for Juvi and the referee, I haven't seen the footage, but having dealt with first aid incidents at work you don't always respond logically. I've used a landline phone to call an ambulance and yelled across at another first aider dealing with a casualty despite both of us having mobile phones in our pockets. It just didn't dawn on us. I can't even imagine what it's like when you add the confusion of a wrestling match. Not to mention that it was probably ingrained into both King and Juvi to finish the match. Wrongly, obviously, but if that's what you've been taught then that's going to be hard to shake when the instincts kick in.

Whatever you think of the way it was handled, it's obviously a tragic incident. I've seen Silver King live a few times and watched him more on screen and he was one of those guys who just looked and acted like a superstar. 

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm under the impression that having first aid is a condition of getting public liability insurance for events like this. Is this not the case?

Not at all, public liability insurance is just there to cover the costs if a member of the public gets hurt. Venues ask for it to cover the public coming into a building. Not the people that will be working there. Whenever I applied/renewed mine there was no question about having first aid provision etc. 

I was at a AJPW show in Kyoto, Japan in 2008 whilst Silver King was on tour with them. After his match he came out and stood at the back of the hall to watch the other matches - seemed like a really nice, easy going and modest bloke who loved wrestling. 

3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

To the people that chose to watch this video - why, exactly?

You know they’d rather have footage of the Owen Hart incident uncovered than the Bret Hart Tom Magee match. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

Curiosity, as morbid as that is. And a desire to see the "reality" rather than wading through all the bullshit and hyperbole the dirtsheets usually drag up.

Much rather wade through the hyperbole and bullshit of this forum and Twitter instead?

For those moaning about the referee I can only hope that you never have to deal with a dead person. From my experience when something happens like this 90% of people will just stand there looking stunned, hoping someone else will intervene. We must remember that most people never expect to have to resuscitate someone especially when 99.9% of days you will never have a single time when someone will keel over and die in front of you.

I haven't seen the video but if Juvi did kick the guy it can't have been malicious. Having wrestled for a short time I know a lot of guys tend to rib each other, mess about etc and a gentle 'fuck you, JUMP YOU BASTARD!' kick is hardly the worst offence in the world. 

Its shit all round though. 

Interestingly this has happened twice involving Lucha talent in recent years. I remember that match with Mysterio where one guy died and now this. Interesting to see why there have been two in a few years but none in the other big leagues like WWE. ?wellbeing needs addressing for these guys?