Avengers End Game contains spoiler n stuff

chokeout

• Paid Members

I might be miss remembering but did he not shoot a ton of them for use in future films after he passes? I thought I read that somewhere. 

To me this was an infinitely better film than Infinity War. I didn't buy any of the deaths in that film and expected them all to be reversed, as is the lack of credibility Marvel really has in that regard. Every moment that was intended to have an impact here had one. They finally, finally did a film with actual stakes and consequences. 

I'm expecting some of the characters we think are goners to come back in the inevitable multiverse story they're setting up. Don't buy that we've seen the last of Vision or Black Widow. 

Wonder if Captain America told Agent Carter about that time he snogged her daughter/granddaughter/niece. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, johnnyboy said:

I thought it was only Captain Marvel and Endgame that were in the can prior to his death.  It was said to be his final one by Marvel, but on first glance I thought it wasn't even him.

Rightio. That's a shame as it really wasn't his best but it's always lovely to see him. I wondered if they'd done that anti-ageing CGI thing to him because he did seem to look a bit weird.

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Vamp said:

I'm expecting some of the characters we think are goners to come back in the inevitable multiverse story they're setting up. Don't buy that we've seen the last of Vision or Black Widow. 

They announced a Vision and Scarlet Witch series for the Disney+ streaming channel before EndGame was released so we'll be seeing him again. They've said it's set in the 50s so think it might be a 'what if' stand alone series based on one of the weird Vision miniseries where he has a family. 

• Paid Members

Warning: massive wall of text

Thought endgame was pretty awesome in scale, I love that they pulled it off and the world was so crazy for it. Didn't mind how long the running time was, had a bit too much talking for my tastes. So much of it was great but for me it wasn't perfect and the fact that it takes itself quite seriously and presents itself as such a grand epic makes it more open to criticism.

On 4/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, DEF said:

I love Cap's ending in so much as I love Cap and think he deserves it. However I have a hard time believing that he simply stopped being Captain America once he had dropped of the Stones. In my mind Captain America cannot possibly walk away from doing the right thing and beating up injustice etc. No doubt somewhere in the world something really bad was happening whilst he was retired and happily married. Now I realise he could have been Cap and been living happily ever after simultaneously but I really think it was implied he didn't.

This is how I feel, but in general I don't really enjoy seeing any kind of proper ending for these characters, it's not really how superheroes have always worked ethically or pacing wise. No one watches a new James Bond film thinking "I hope this is the one where he finally dies or gets married and retires" and I'd prefer these movies to have that feel over the desire to give everything a proper ending.

This movie was very much an ending, but it was really well done. Having said that, if after easily being the most successful film ever, they do decide to bring Evans, RDJ, ScarJo and everyone back again somehow to face an even bigger threat it would be the most comic like thing they could do.

Despite DEF's issues with him retiring, Cap's ending was sweet if indeed you need to give him one, loved him and Peggy since the beginning.

The best death of all was the Vision in the last one, they spent the whole film trying to save him then had no option other than to destroy him to save the world, then after all that Thanos turns back time and caves his head in, that was great.

I didn't like Iron Man's death but mainly because I really didn't want it to happen. In a universe with that much crazy tech and supernatural stuff the richest most powerful tech wizard in the world probably shouldn't be lying there dying. I'm sure if doctor strange knew what was going to happen arranging some aftercare for tony for after he beat thanos wouldn't have gone amiss. Surely at least Stark's intelligence is fully uploaded somewhere and he could still exist in iron man suits like Jarvis, then RDJ can still play him recording the lines on his phone while he's on the beach.

Hulk is my fave and smart Hulk is the sort of thing I'm often not keen on but I loved It, thought his new cocky smart character was brilliant. Fat Thor not so much, was ok for a quick laugh but wanted him to get his mojo back sharpish. Reckon Hemsworth would be mad not to negotiate another Thor film when he's in crazy shape to play Hogan.

I have no problem seeing all the girls together, if the film didn't take itself so seriously it wouldn't even have stood out. Having said that I think killing Black Widow is stupid, she's the OG badass girl of the whole thing AND she's got her own film coming out so it's not like Scarlett was leaving. Even if her film is a prequel that raises lots of questions as well, and it seems a shame for all those aforementioned little girls who want to see their female superheroes in action to watch a film knowing Black Widow is on course for a sad death later.

Obviously loved all the action scenes, that final battle and the next episode of game of thrones in the same week will be a bit of a treat hopefully.

• Paid Members

Pop After Dark is the podcast where myself and a bunch of mates discuss Endgame in detail. Episodes 10 and 11 if anyone to listen to some ramblings and opinions we’ve all had.

@Bellenda Carlisle whilst I know what you mean in terms of closure for Cap, I think some characters did need an ending and that Captain America getting closure by living his live with Peggy was pretty perfect. Also in the comics characters die/retire/pass on the mantle so again I think it’s ok for them to do that.

Stark/Strange I figure that because Dr Strange can see what happens in the future and he saw all the scenarios that play out and mentioned there was only 1 where they could win, there could have been a version where everything happened and he saved Tony but that caused something else to happen. I’m sure there was a reason why he couldn’t save him. That’s my conclusion to that arc anyway.

I have no idea if Gunn’s Vol 3 script involved Thor and the Guardians originally but I agree they need to sign him back up for future films, and being one of the youngest actors of the OG Avengers, I can see him getting a shit load of money offered for an extra few films.

$300 million projected opening weekend in the US,  plus other international markets ($600 million+) means it could break $1billion worldwide by Monday. That’s Insane 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Despite it's silly length, the film does a great job holding your interest.

As a stand alone bit of film making, I'm not sure it was excellent - I felt they fumbled things like Iron Man's death. Some of the story is a bit ropey too, which they even take the piss out of.

However, it's impossible not to smile like a tit throughout the film if you've bothered to watch most of their universe. Pleasingly, Captain America is the one that gets the better moments to shine in this. From "America's ass" to that incredible moment when he picks up Thor's hammer (what a pay off) to the beautifully handled ending of his character arc.

So many Cap callbacks, loved the lift scene, him getting annoyed at being on the receiving end of an 'I can do this all day', 'On your left' 'How can I when you took all the stupid with you'

The final battle was incredible, even Howard the Duck got in on the action.

"We'll be fine, you can rest now" was as much Kevin Feige to RDJ as it was Pepper to Tony.

"Avengers.......assemble" is possibly the best moment of the MCU so far.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

The final battle was incredible, even Howard the Duck got in on the action.

Wait. How did I miss that?

7 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

They've definitely got enough loose threads hanging to do a full alternate timeline set of movies with Loki nicking the Tesseract during the time of Avengers Assemble.

It sets up the Loki series coming to Disney+ really well

Enjoyed it more than Infinity War.

Not as emotionally invested as most (have yet to watch a single Iron Man or Cap movie) but the scene where everyone returns almost got to me. Loved how almost everyone got a moment.

AsGuardians of The Galaxy has to bloody happen. They were my favourite part of Infinity War and showed great chemistry.

Thor had already gone all in on the comedy with Ragnarok anyway.

• Awards Moderator

$1.2 billion in the first five days. 

Saw it for a second time tonight using the freebies I got for there being a fire alarm during the first showing I was in. Quibbles were lessened this time round. Partner was annoyed that Widow died instead of Hawkeye, I am now not as convinced she’s dead, Red Skull was quite clear about it being a ‘soul for a soul’ exchange, so I think putting the stone back would bring a soul back. Only fair.

Also, how did Evil Nebula get Thanos’ ship and gang forward in time, as well as herself, when they only had enough Pym Particles for ‘one round trip’? They arrive separately...

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

I'm a real sucker for time travel stories and I'm the same - never overthink them and they're always fun. Were there plotholes here? Sure. Did I come away thinking about them or caring? Absolutely not. One of the most compelling, emotional and rewarding cinema experiences I've had.