Avengers End Game contains spoiler n stuff

chokeout

• Paid Members

Way too many spoiler tags in the other thread. 

As a film on its own it's probably not as strong as Infinity War but as a close to the MCU it was as close to perfect as I could have hoped. 

The reaction in the screening to Cap with Mjolnor was insane, loudest reaction I've ever heard watching a film. 

And the shot of Cap standing on his own facing down Thanos and his army was a thing of beauty, up there with the charge of the Valkyries in Ragnorak for one of the most beautiful shots they've but put in a Marvel Movie. 

Thoughts people. 

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

Continued from the Comics thread...

26 minutes ago, chokeout said:

that didn't bother me at all. I just saw it as him finally living his own life and having something for himself. Something that he hasn't had through any of the other films 

I totally get that, and love the way they ended Cap's arc. I'm just one for the 'Show, don't tell' school of thought when it concern movies like this. Telling me that Cap went through the giant task of placing all the stones back (who knows what zany hi-jinks happened there??) felt lazy. Even an extended montage would've be fine but it wasn't going to happen in one movie.

Again, it's probably just me. Feels weird to want MORE from a three hour movie but it just speaks to how dynamic and still fresh the stories could be.

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Louch said:

All that spoiler chat and not one mention of the bottle of Irn Bru

I noticed it in Thor’s cabin. What’s the deal with the Scottish references? As Infinity War had Scarlet Witch and Vision stood in front of a sign for deep-fried Mars bars or something, didn’t it?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I noticed it in Thor’s cabin. What’s the deal with the Scottish references? As Infinity War had Scarlet Witch and Vision stood in front of a sign for deep-fried Mars bars or something, didn’t it?

They filmed in Edinburgh. I'm assuming quite a few of the crew were locals. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, chokeout said:

The biggest thing from that is that he would have had to face Red Skull to return one of them which was a huge arch in itself. 

I didn't even think of that. Mind blowing that they skimmed over something as huge, but I guess it's understandable due to Chris Evan's departure. There must've been a way they could've gone about it though. You can have Cap's wonderful ending AND have him not go through time on another go-around without showing it.

You could've have Ant Man tasked with taking all the stones back (his ability to shrink would make it easy for him to sneak back and forth). Have the exact same scene out in the woods only with him in Cap's place.

Then he returns five seconds later, and as he his heading back to Hulk and Co, they hear the time machine go into action behind them. They realise Cap has disappeared and Bucky, being in the know about Cap's sneaky plan, is stood behind the time machine control panel and directs Sam to the lake where old man Cap is sitting for the brilliant passing-of-the-torch scene. Paul Rudd is still on tap so you can show his adventures time travelling later on down the line if needed.

• Paid Members

Hence my feelings of the film being a hodgepodge of quick fixes and hastily tying up the loose ends before we move on. Maybe I need another watch to really get over that and I hope that the following movies delve a little deeper into what I feel was missing from End Game. 

Again, I really enjoyed the movie but I shouldn't be left wanting more after three hours.

• Paid Members

Loved the film. I seem to be in the minority of disliking the fat Thor stuff, felt lazy to me. Loved Captain Marvel tearing shit up, though when all the women teamed up around her it seemed very forced and cheesy even for Marvel. Cool visual though. 

Paul Rudd was far and away the MVP of the film for me. Every scene he was in he stole. 

Despite not being an Iron Man fan I was utterly broken at his end. The writing was perfect, Pepper telling him he could finally rest left me in bits. 

Guess the Black Widow film is going to be a prequel then?

• Paid Members

I've just seen it a second time and if anything I like it more. A few issues I have are,

I don't like Bruce Hulk. It might a uncanny valley thing a little but also they finally got Hulk to work well in movies with the formula from Avengers onwards. If it ain't broke and all that. It just didn't work for me.

But it really irked me that it wasn't remedied by Black Widows death. Bruce was barely bothered by it. Wrongly or rightly he should have been FURIOUS with serial killer Hawkeye and the true Hulk should have come out to play. Instead he basically seemed indifferent. The whole character doesn't work going forward.

Other than that it's magic. I'm a bit of an action junkie so first time round I found the lack of fisty cuffs until the third act a little frustrating but second time round i can see why they did that. The scale of that battle is pretty huge.

I love Cap's ending in so much as I love Cap and think he deserves it. However I have a hard time believing that he simply stopped being Captain America once he had dropped of the Stones. In my mind Captain America cannot possibly walk away from doing the right thing and beating up injustice etc. No doubt somewhere in the world something really bad was happening whilst he was retired and happily married. Now I realise he could have been Cap and been living happily ever after simultaneously but I really think it was implied he didn't. That's really just fanboy not picking though.

Fat Thor is utterly brilliant. Simultaneously tragic and funny. The moment where Hulk mentions Thanos in his gaff is top notch acting. It said so much with so little.

Re the girl power bit. I did think it was a bit out of nowhere and heavy handed but if it pops my little girl then I don't give a fuck as A) I'm not the one that should identify with that and B) even if it was a little wedged in it was still badass.

Edited by DEF

Saw it again and I agree, I like it even more.

The bit where Spidey comes back and Tony hugs him had me in near floods. RDJ is an exceptional actor. I hope now he's done with all these he goes on to do some top class stuff.

Cap grabbing the hammer, jesus amazing. Fucking chills. Especially as they had slightly set it up in Ultron. I love Chris Evans' Cap. Marvel have made the perfect Superman character and its not even bloody Superman.

Thor Lebowski was great. Hemsworth is an annoyingly brilliant comedic actor. I liked his arc in the film, how he's struggling to come to terms with everything that's now happened to him and his failure. Looking forward to Asgardians of The Galaxy.

Once Tony was getting the hero death, I was intrigued as to how they were going to deal with Cap. You knew he was going but another death would have taken away from Tony's. I kind of didn't need to see the dance at the end. Old Cap giving the shield and just sitting there with his 3 mates would have been a lovely way to go. Though he's still alive in the MCU. Old man Rodgers returns in New Avengers!

All in all it was a great experience to watch it in the cinema. The audiences just love the characters and every moment felt earned. Bravo to all involved.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, DEF said:

Re the girl power bit. I did think it was a bit out of nowhere and heavy handed but if it pops my little girl then I don't give a fuck as A) I'm not the one that should identify with that and B) even if it was a little wedged in it was still badass.

For the record I fully get this, and I wont say it shouldnt be there for this very reason. Its bloody great that they are embracing superheroes that aren't all muscular white blokes. 

• Paid Members

I booked in to see it again next wednesday. I couldn't emotionally deal with it again so quickly. Me and my wife saw it seperately, because in the last few weeks shes gone from "i suppose I'll watch this film with you" to " I NEED TO SEE ENDGAME! So she went midnight, and I went first thing yesterday as the kids were going off. She cried a lot, but I think I may have cried even more. It got so bad I actually got bunged up and couldnt breathe because I couldn't justify blowing my nose.

I made some pre predictions and the only one I got right was that Thor would end up back in space, but didnt see it being with the guardians. And fuck Vol 3, I want Asgardians of The Galaxy now. While I can definetly get some criticisms, it delivery more emotion, and more fan service then I could of hoped for. You could be crying one minute and laughing the next. And the way they went back to previous films was particularly well done. Especially loved Cap gatting in the lift with the Hydra agents as a nod back to Winter Soldier (even though it was not that same scene unless I got my timelines messed up).

Overall, I think Infinity War is possibly the better film, because the bad guy won and that never happens. BUT this was the most epic cinematic experience I have ever had and we will never likely see something like that ever again (As a massive SW Fan looking forward to IX, even I admit that will fall short of this in terms of satisfaction of closure). Plot holes be damned they absolutely nailed it and I hope we do get more Hemsworth if nothing else in the future. Loved it 3000.

Also, to the Girl Power bit. My wife watched Captain Marvel Wednesday morning so she was caught up, and I warned her of the mixed response. But she loved it because of the fact it was a Superhero film she could really feel represented her (especially with the soundtrack as well) and said she cannot wait for our daughter to be old enough to watch it. That was when I understood how important that moment was, regardless if it came off a little cheesy.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch