Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

I saw a picture someone shared of Randy Orton about 15 years ago and Randy Orton on Friday pretty much reproducing it. Absolute art, cinema, etc. I'm not criticising them for doing it or anyone for liking it but it hammered home why this stuff just isn't for me anymore. 

The entire business feels like a parody. There's nothing original or exciting and no attempt to disguise it either. I dunno if that report about them using ChatWWE or something to write the shows was genuine but they definitely could and no-one would know. It's a rinse and repeat. Too many guys who've been on TV for way to long doing the same shit. To many guys who grew up watching the same stuff copying it. 

We just got Netflix so daughter number 2 can watch Stranger Things. I had a momentary think on Friday night about watching some of the 2026 Royal Rumble. The mere thought made me shudder. Imagine paying £200 a pop to watch it? Get the Jimmy Corkhill gif out.

(Apologies, second miserable post of the morning. Just a depressing state for something I've loved all my life. Without even contemplating anything off screen.) 

Posted (edited)

Big week for opening segments that might actually make you think it's Wrestlemania season.

Bad week for anyone who still thinks Drew should quit because he doesn't have a shiny belt and is somehow being misused.

I'm not a Drew guy, but this was a perfect use of him. Great, chaotic opening segment which will lead to a great, chaotic match at Mania I imagine. It will probably steal the show. Good for them.

It was a show full of people finding their level, really.

It's good to see Damian Priest relegated to a 'loves having fun' spot. Big belly laughs from a man who just loves having fun as he gets a prop title reign to further someone else's feud.

Danhausen fits his spot perfectly. He's somehow more suited to WWE than anywhere else he's been. Good for him. It'll wear thin in time, but good for him getting paid.

It's also tremendous to see Matt Cardona in exactly the same spot he was in 2012, as the main guy's mate who gets beat up by the evil heel. Fingers crossed next week he gets lobbed off the stage in a wheelchair.

It's hard to imagine how little spine you have to have to not at least say to the writers, 'maybe I shouldn't just lie there with my arm in a chair?'.

Ultimately, it'll lead to a disappointing match - the Orton curse - but, Lord help me, I love a main event heel Orton. They need to let them have a cod-Attitude era main event which is just smoke, mirrors and little else. Otherwise the chinlocks are going to be a big come down.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz
Posted
8 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Ultimately, it'll lead to a disappointing match - the Orton curse - but, Lord help me, I love a main event heel Orton. They need to let them have a cod-Attitude era main event which is just smoke, mirrors and little else. Otherwise the chinlocks are going to be a big come down.

Hopefully it'll be exactly like Cody/Roman 2 but this time we get run ins from Sami, KO, Cowboy Bob Orton, Ted Jr, Goldust and Brandi.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

This is how I intend on entering every conversation for the rest of the week.

IMG_5461.gif.873574e6a7dd9e4051bfae00ba4b609c.gif

It’s not even called WWE anymore. It’s the Danhausen Show, featuring everyone else.

A banner week for that Danhausen. Entering this shot so hilariously. Stealing twenty quid from Candice LaRae. Grayson Waller getting pushed in front of The Curse on Raw and taking his shirt off in a panic, as if he can somehow wash The Curse off.

And this. This all day long. I can’t even decide what’s the funniest bit. The way he keeps smiling at the camera, explaining how he’s fooled everyone, the way he runs off like a kid when he gets, “caught,” or the way he simulates the smashing of Stone Cold’s glass by stamping on a plastic fork. Amazing.

If Jelly Roll and Danhausen end up bonding over a bag of crisps and it’s the Miz & Kit Connection vs. JellyHausen at Wrestlemania, that’ll genuinely be my most anticipated match.

Edited by Supremo
Posted

His bits are genuinely the most I've enjoyed anyone new in WWE in a long time. I'd be so interested to know whether they have any input on him or if they've just let him get on with it.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It’s crazy how much of himself he’s seemingly bringing to it. Dahausen being allowed to immediately start on the main roster with an almost identical act to what he had previously is the biggest example yet of how much power CM Punk must now have in WWE.

Not the funniest example, though. The funniest example of Punk’s power are the ridiculous abs he’s somehow developed in the Wrestlemania graphics. Like they’ve Photoshopped his head onto Batista’s body!

IMG_5462.thumb.jpeg.4c1c90568d496913dfdf859e75090a6d.jpeg

Edited by Supremo
  • Paid Members
Posted
52 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

His bits are genuinely the most I've enjoyed anyone new in WWE in a long time. I'd be so interested to know whether they have any input on him or if they've just let him get on with it.

Yeah me too, he’s been a lot of fun. I really hope the direction of travel is for him to team with Jelly Roll at ‘Mania rather than the other name that’s been rumoured (I won’t say to avoid spoilers, in case they do make that wrong choice) - like @Supremo, it would be my most anticipated match. I’m really enjoying Danhausen, and Kit Wilson accusing him of having ‘toxic machismo’ made me laugh out loud. It’s fun stuff.

Posted

Was it just the three Morrissey references that Wade Barrett dropped in casually last night? You are the Quarry was slightly forced but Viva Hate and Ringleader of the Tormentors were seamless.

Posted
9 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

His bits are genuinely the most I've enjoyed anyone new in WWE in a long time. I'd be so interested to know whether they have any input on him or if they've just let him get on with it.

Agreed. I never "got" Danhausen before and thought WWE were crazy for bringing him in but he has been great so far and his stuff has genuinely got a smile out of me which makes me think WWE have let him get on with it as the company is not well renowned for the humour it scripts itself. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Well, I watched some of this in instalments stating Saturday morning around chores because I like to occasionally enforce my thoughts as a non regular viewer upon you - I had hoped to finish before the next episode airs but it clear I’m not going to, so this is what I watched and thought.

People arriving at the arena intro as always. I like “Irresistible Forces” as a tag name for Jax & Legend though I acknowledge subconsciously this may be because it reminds me of “Natural Disasters.” Car park ambush by McIntyre in one of my least favourite tropes, the athlete arriving at the building for a show already in progress. Speaks for how they’ve mishandled Jacob, in that he’s in a feud where “out of control” and “unpredictable” is the other guy.

Tag title match.. I did wonder why Bloodline Hollywood were carrying the Wyatts’ lamp, apparently their main ongoing feud, and yet in a rare televised title defence were fighting someone else, though the finish cleared that up. That said, if it’s not leading to a blow off actually at Mania then switching the titles to advance the aggro will feel totally pointless. I already considered Priest to have fallen in stock dramatically, off the top of my head I can only think of one match of note (vs Drew at Mania 41) he’s had since losing the Real Worlds Championship to Big Gunt, and this just confirmed it. Match felt a little rushed, Jeff Cobb Mateo is still fun to watch though. Another title win for the evergreen R-Truth. Good for him.

Speaking of acts that peaked in 2011.. the Bella bots. Much as I consider them overrated (Nikki) or just shite (Bri) it does at least make sense that they’d pursue the tag team title that didn’t exist in their, ahem, “prime.” I probably wouldn’t begrudge them it though it speaks volumes that when CharLexi interrupted them, Charlotte wasn’t the most “oh, fuck off”-invoking talent on screen for a change. Although another part of the production I hate, wrestlers casually wandering around the building when neither booked for a match or scheduled for an interview. Why are they there??

Danhausen seemed to get a good reaction in the building. I can’t make comment as I’m not familiar with his work in the minors. Second tag match was fine although it still narks me that it’s just “Motor City Machine Guns” and not “The”. And why the inconsistency of announcing weights? The Guns had theirs announced but neither team in the title match did. Ho hum. Could have done without seeing the Magic Killer just thrown out for a near fall, so few decent tandem finishers these days, they should be protected.

Commentators feigning shock that Randy Orton could do something diabolical after the career he’s had was quite frankly insulting but Orton himself did a very good post heel turn Magneto promo, though Raleigh seemed reluctant to actually boo him for it. Backstage Cardona made himself sound a moron confronting Orton, sounding like he hadn’t listened to a word Orton had said out in front of the crowd and utterly deserving of his verbal evisceration and getting decked. (Note - written prior to Zayn vs Black) I believe this sets up a match between them to instill more mo into Randy on the way to Vegas. At the half way point of the show we’ve already recapped McIntyre/Fatu TWICE - Christ, how attention-deficient do they consider their core audience??

Watching Aleister Black & Zelina walk out, I’m tempted to say that in a world without linear time, Kross & Scarlett are their act but bought off Ali Express, except actually I think Black & Scarlett would have been the most bankable pairing on average. If Scarlett had come round in the 90s I can see her on every lunchbox, mouse mat and beach towel you can imagine - license to print money. I like the “wrestler not been the same since big loss” story, simple but believable, but when the crowd seemed to be singing Tricks music despite him being positioned as antagonist to the beloved Sami, it made me irrational levels of annoyed. Our Ally pally (heh) looked decent even though he was mere garnish to the Zayn/Williams storyline progression, very shortly after the bell I forgot Zelina was there, which is an unfortunate metaphor for her WWE career. That Trick only cost Zayn the match because the latter was too stupid to leave well enough alone was AWFUL writing of a finish that should have been so simple, though I like Williams’ smugness. Sadly when they went backstage again my initial thought of “I’m glad he’s got more personality now” was quashed when I realised I’d actually been thinking of Carmelo. That’s what happens when you don’t keep up with NXT I guess. Or TNA. Or WWE.

Thats as far as I got. It was alright. Did the Bellas win? I’m guessing they did.

 

  • Paid Members
Posted

New MYSTERY over who Randy is talking to on the phone?

At the same time that the new Jumanji film wraps?

Bring it on! Pints of ket for everyone!

233FA36B-F864-4EAA-A6E9-17BAA1C9E629.thumb.jpeg.7b9ca08e0c1416b2c0bd218859c4b13b.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...