The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

41 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Remember when everyone was saying Cody had to "finish his story" so he could be the face of the company and carry it forwards.

What an absolute bore the man has become.

To be fair, what has he got to work with on that Smackdown roster? Who, outside of Reigns, could you see beat him? There’s no sense of jeopardy in his matches. He’s been put in a difficult position.

I don't think he's even been that boring, just a regular babyface champion. They're often really boring up until they enter into the feud that will see them relieved of their title.

I also think that the Cody/Roman/Rock thing elevated Cody, and to an extent Roman, where it's really hard to care seeing them interact with mere mortals. I want Cody/Rock, Cody/Roman, I'd take a Cody/Punk in a pinch, but Cody vs Fauxman or AJ Styles or even Logan Paul is never going to be quite as exciting now.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don't think he's even been that boring, just a regular babyface champion. They're often really boring up until they enter into the feud that will see them relieved of their title.

I also think that the Cody/Roman/Rock thing elevated Cody, and to an extent Roman, where it's really hard to care seeing them interact with mere mortals. I want Cody/Rock, Cody/Roman, I'd take a Cody/Punk in a pinch, but Cody vs Fauxman or AJ Styles or even Logan Paul is never going to be quite as exciting now.

I don't know it's so much the elevation of Cody so much as all the people they sacrificed to Roman over the years. The people that didn't get stacked up like cornwood you can count on one hand, and one of them is the champion of the other brand.  If no one could beat Roman, other than Cody, who could beat Cody? They've got work to do to get the next proper threat built, but Jacob Fatu feels high on that list. 

They could do with sticking Punk or Drew on Smackdown for a bit. Maybe have a loser leaves town kind of stip with the last Drew vs Punk match. Probably makes more sense to have Drew move given the lack of interesting villains on Smackdown. Then again we’ll be getting the Randy vs Cody feud for a few months soon which would leave Drew to go cold in the mean time.

3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Then again we’ll be getting the Randy vs Cody feud for a few months soon which would leave Drew to go cold in the mean time.

Perhaps Punk would be a better choice for that very reason - it’s a struggle to think of opponents for Drew outside of wrestlers he’s already faced. Put Punk on Smackdown, and you have Punk/Cody, Punk/Owens, Punk/Reigns, Punk/Logan Paul and even Punk/Knight (granted, Punk/Reigns is unlikely at the moment).

But I could see Punk/Owens being a feud that could sustain itself for quite a while without it feeling old. Smackdown needs more of that right now.

• Paid Members

It does feel like Owens is trying to sow seeds for that with Punk. 

Every sound bite from most top names seems to be very "we hadn't really spoke, but we have now and it's good hes back". Owens I'm sure did an interview where he said they don't talk, they have no reason to talk. Wouldn't be the worst plot for a feud that a guy who made his name on the indies when Punk was around originally and then made his WWE name when Punk took his ball and went home that always feels overlooked could turn heel that Punk's back to "steal his thunder". In terms of safe hands as well, Owens would be a good worker who could have those wild brawls like he did with Shane or Roman but not be too taxing on Punk having to bump around or do too much. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, I Bent My Wookie said:

It does feel like Owens is trying to sow seeds for that with Punk

I don't think he is. Owens genuinely doesn't like him at all based on experiences from the indies and Owens is a close friend of the Young Bucks and Co. So that probably doesn't help.

I'm sure KO would do business with complete professionalism if asked but I really don't think he'd be thrilled about working with him.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I don't think he is. Owens genuinely doesn't like him at all based on experiences from the indies and Owens is a close friend of the Young Bucks and Co. So that probably doesn't help.

I'm sure KO would do business with complete professionalism if asked but I really don't think he'd be thrilled about working with him.

To be honest I forgot how close Owens and the Bucks were back when they were doing PWG together. 

I just took it on face value that Owens always seems to be switched on in interviews about what he says maybe leading to something. 

My apologies. 

• Paid Members

I love the story that it was Kevin Owens who introduced Cody to The Young Bucks, asking them to take care of Cody on the Independent scene. Not only brilliant in his own right own, but Kevin Owens being a good egg indirectly created The Elite, which in turn broke a monopoly with AEW, and saved the entire industry from the Dark Ages. Imagine the state of pro-wrestling in North America right now if he doesn’t send that text. Statues should be built in his honour.

It’ll be interesting what Kevin does when his contract comes due in 2025. Last time, it made all the sense in the world to re-sign. A Wrestlemania main event against Stone Cold Steve Austin on the table? Where’s the fucking pen? Now though, you wonder what’s left for him to do. He seems to have floundered as a background figure in the Bloodline saga for ages now. He might benefit from a new environment the same way Copeland did.

• Paid Members
On 9/7/2024 at 11:02 AM, Duke said:

I don't know it's so much the elevation of Cody so much as all the people they sacrificed to Roman over the years. 

23 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

They could do with sticking Punk or Drew on Smackdown for a bit.

This is the problem. In the build to Mania and for the 72 hours around it, the thrill was Cody getting inserted into a main event mix involving Roman, Rock, Punk, Drew and even Silver Seth’s in that conversation based on his shift over Mania weekend. Ever since, none of those men have really been in Cody’s orbit and the “mix” has been trying to get other people to look at that level when we’ve barely established since that the champ is at that level. It’s the equivalent of during the Attitude Era, building up HHH by having him look competitive with Taker, Steve Austin and The Rock, him winning the title then his first PPV challengers being X-Pac, Test and Edge.

Edited by air_raid
Sphere. I meant sphere.

12 hours ago, Supremo said:

It’ll be interesting what Kevin does when his contract comes due in 2025. Last time, it made all the sense in the world to re-sign. A Wrestlemania main event against Stone Cold Steve Austin on the table? Where’s the fucking pen? Now though, you wonder what’s left for him to do. He seems to have floundered as a background figure in the Bloodline saga for ages now. He might benefit from a new environment the same way Copeland did.

I'd love to see Eddie Kingston versus Kevin Owens/Steen - the match would be good I'm sure, but the thought of both of them going head-to-head on the mic is really exciting. I'd love to see Owens/Punk - but Owens has, sadly, become someone I just don't look forward to seeing anymore in WWE. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

I'd love to see Eddie Kingston versus Kevin Owens/Steen - the match would be good I'm sure, but the thought of both of them going head-to-head on the mic is really exciting. I'd love to see Owens/Punk - but Owens has, sadly, become someone I just don't look forward to seeing anymore in WWE. 

It was a long time ago, and so very different to where both men are at now, but they had a feud across CHIKARA and ROH about 12 years ago that I remember having some great promo work, if you can track any of that down. 

On 9/7/2024 at 8:48 AM, RedTwoster said:

To be fair, what has he got to work with on that Smackdown roster? Who, outside of Reigns, could you see beat him? There’s no sense of jeopardy in his matches. He’s been put in a difficult position.

Yeah true,

Also, Cody just isn't good enough to elevate the guys he's working with either to make it look like there's a chance he could get beat.

Hopefully a feud with Randy and the eventual match with The Rock will heat him back up again.

Cody/Cena at Mania?