The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

My main takeaway from catching up on the happenings on SmackDown is that as pleased as I was that I might finally see the Io vs Kairi vs Asuka match they never put on first time round… I see I’ll probably be waiting quite a while for it, still.

• Paid Members

Road Dogg on guest commentary all night might sound like a terrible idea, but the whole thing was worth it for Michael Cole’s brutal backhanded compliment in the main event. Something to the effect of, “LA Knight is similar to the Road Dogg actually, in that he wallowed in mediocrity for years and years before finally finding a catchphrase that got him over and made him rich.” Brilliant.

Damage Control v2.0 look the absolute business as a faction. Really fun idea with everyone except Bayley realising her days are numbered, too. Some brilliant tension seeing her try and play along with the cool kids. Shades of Sami in the Bloodline.

Becky was the most obvious, boring choice as the mystery partner, but it still got the desired big reaction. Not sure teasing it throughout the show was the best idea though. By the time it was finally revealed I was already fantasy booking Sasha Banks or Jade Cargill in the spot, so Becky felt like a relative disappointment. Super awkward final few minutes to the brawl though. Charlotte and Io just starting at each other for a solid minute or so, before presumably someone shouted they were still on the air, at which point everyone suddenly jumped up and started fighting again to fill time. You can always count on Charlotte to look like a rabbit in the headlights whenever something doesn’t go exactly as scripted.

Highlight of the show was Escobar going in two-footed on Rey, saying he hopes his surgery goes wrong, he gets an infection and needs to have his leg amputated. Jesus! Tell us what you really think! Quality heel work. Proper bastard.

They’ve got L.A. Knight doing rhymes and making Dukes of Hazzard references (that I had to google). The dream is over.

It shouldn’t be surprising, but Smacky D has lost a lot of steam with Roman and Cena gone again. No major men’s singles title on the show with Logan off too is a shame.

Cody being introduced is interesting, though I could do without Cody being part of another makeshift tag team.

The Carlito stuff is weird. It’s like they had an idea for a veteran superstar of Hispanic heritage to come in and play spoiler for the LWO, and then avenging Angel for Rey, without really thinking who that could be. Because, Carlito doesn’t seem to suit the role at all. For me, he’s a low-card comedy act but he’s stomping about (albeit with ever worsening mobility) in a cool black t-shirt and mean mugging like he’s a big shot. Very weird.

Paul Heyman saying ‘no one stays gone forever’; Escobar correcting himself awkwardly from ‘I’ve got something I want to talk about… to get off my chest’; the official Survivor Series t-shirt featuring lightning bolts. I mean, it means nothing but it’s sure funny to watch Twitter have a meltdown.

If I was playing long-term booking, I'd have Damage Ctrl turn on Bayley at War Games, leading to Damage Ctrl versus 3 of the 4 Horsewomen... and then get on the blower to Sasha Banks.

On 11/18/2023 at 7:30 PM, Supremo said:

Super awkward final few minutes to the brawl though. Charlotte and Io just starting at each other for a solid minute or so, before presumably someone shouted they were still on the air, at which point everyone suddenly jumped up and started fighting again to fill time. 

Oh it's worse than that. That was a contrived "this is your future WrestleMania match, start cheering" spot.

2 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Shotzi is up there with the worst characters they have ever had.

That opening segment was horrible.

I had it on in the background, and her mic work, characterisation, and tone, just felt like “I am a crazy, whacky character me, muahahhaha”.

Get rid of her ASAP.

Really dull show.

They’ve lost so much momentum since ‘Big Match John’ and ‘Often the Same Match Roman’ went away again.

I’ve expected it for a while, but now convinced that KO is going to turn heel and they’ll run a LA Knight/KO feud through the end of the year.