The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

No it’s a bollocks rumour that started on Twitter (by the terminally online Rovert) because she didn’t have a ring on one time or some shit. Kevin Nash talked about it on his podcast a few months ago. Saw the rumours on Twitter and got in touch with Triple H to find out. 

• Paid Members

Something I forgot to add about this weeks ‘Down - plenty of people happy to talk up what’s happening “at the Royal Rumble” without having to stress “event” as previously had happened (or “pay per view” formerly). So glad the dumbing down has eased off.

11 hours ago, air_raid said:

So glad the dumbing down has eased off.

There was a very brief moment about a year ago when people suddenly started saying "wrestling" rather than sports entertainment, but they seem to have gone back to sports entertainment, WWE universe, speak.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, Loki said:

There was a very brief moment about a year ago when people suddenly started saying "wrestling" rather than sports entertainment, but they seem to have gone back to sports entertainment, WWE universe, speak.

It’s a process. Graves did say “Royal Rumble match” once which is understandable if you’ve been saying it like that for years, or maybe it’s his preference rather than “this is how we all speak.” But equally when Logan Paul was rattling off the many stings to his bow, he included “wrestler.” Swings and roundabouts.

22 hours ago, air_raid said:

The contract signing was very well executed, with one obvious flaw which I’ll get to.

I really enjoyed this review of the show and potentially have overlooked it in the length of the post but did you get to the obvious flaw? I’m not sure what the obvious flaw is.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FUM said:

I really enjoyed this review of the show and potentially have overlooked it in the length of the post but did you get to the obvious flaw? I’m not sure what the obvious flaw is.

Whoops! I missed it. Peril of writing up all your thoughts after viewing rather than taking notes as you go!

The flaw is that the formality and “real sport” presentation every time they do a contract signing, as fun as it can be, flies in the face of how matches get arranged the other 95% of the time. Which I only mention specifically to this show because a couple of segments later, Styles walks up to Aldis and says “I want LA Knight TONIGHT” and after a brief pause Nick simply says “You got it.”  So… where’s the contract? Are they required or not?

Contract signing angles I didn’t mind in the days when all matches were pre arranged whether we saw them signed for, they were announced up front or not. But after 25+ years now of matches just happening spur of the moment, I feel there’s inconsistency in whether contracts are needed for matches or not.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Contract signing angles I didn’t mind in the days when all matches were pre arranged whether we saw them signed for, they were announced up front or not. But after 25+ years now of matches just happening spur of the moment, I feel there’s inconsistency in whether contracts are needed for matches or not.

Genuine question - is this a UFC thing? Do they do big production weigh-ins/confrontations for all fights on the show or just the main ones?

I'm just trying to figure out whether it is influenced by something like that.

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Genuine question - is this a UFC thing? Do they do big production weigh-ins/confrontations for all fights on the show or just the main ones?

Probably not, WWE/the WWF have done the occasional contract signing angle as long as I’ve been watching, back to Bret and Yoko for Mania IX, and back at least to Hogan and Andre signing for The Main Event at Royal Rumble 88.

My issue is not contract signings per se but that they establish contracts for matches exist and yet matches are seemingly allowed to be sanctioned adhoc nearly every week without them, often just because two wrestlers want to fight and a nearby referee lets them.

I shouldn’t be surprised given that surprise matches without signatures on contracts also at least go back to 1988 and Honky Tonk Man famously declaring “Get someone out here for me to wrestle, I don’t care who it is.” You’d have thought a weasel like him with a weasel like Jimmy Hart advising him would have known better.

I tell you what, if British Strong Style want to get over on Smackdown, they need to change their look.  Dunne going back to the caveman leotard is an awful idea, he looks so low rent.  And Bate appears to be wrestling in his tightie whities like it's an apartment gig.

Get some decent, preferably matching gear.  When you're wrestling Pretty Deadly and YOU are the ones looking like plonkers, it's not a good sign.

Edit: to add, Dunne's look is SO bad, it was mocked in a Hollywood movie, and they are STILL going to go back to it.  Madness.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members

that, again, is part of my problem with Triple H's "remember NXT in 2015?" approach to booking - everything is looking backward rather than forward. Fair enough, get rid of the name Butch and turn him back to Pete Dunne, but use that as a step toward reinvention and evolving the character rather than just pushing it back - same for Tyler Bate, it's his major TV debut, use it as an opportunity to freshen him up and change him up a bit, rather than asking him to still be the same character he was playing when he was 18. 

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I like Pete Dunne's look. He carries himself like a nasty piece of shit, and his general image reflects that. As far as the name change goes, I'm all for it. He was effectively presented as Scrappy Doo, and the name made him feel like a bit of a joke; which I'm assuming was the intention - a gimmick and identity designed specifically to amuse Vince McMahon. 

A name change can be a bit clunky to explain on screen, but if Triple H has visions of him being more important than he's been so far, I think a change of identity is unavoidable. I've no idea if Dunne has the skillset to move up the card, but I imagine he has a better chance of doing under this moniker than he did as 'Butch'. 

• Paid Members

To his credit, Dunne looked a lot more comfortable and confident coming out as, “himself.” He had a great scowl and the half-shaved undercut looks cool. You could tell he was super into it.

But yeah. Get rid of your nan’s swimming costume and your mums’s fury coat. Terrible look on the main roster.