The Smackers Thread

PowerButchi

4 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Someone writing for the WWE isn't likely to have the credits for a current membership. The job in WWE itself probably could end up being categorised to qualify, but then that would require the writing staff to unionise to pursue it.

WWE have at many points had adverts for writers and hired soap opera and comedy writers with plenty of experience (they had the Days of their Lives associate head writer of staff at own point) so I am surprised that they have no WGA writers there unless Nick Khan saw the strike coking and made sure the building was clear of WGA members when May 1st came by. 

• Paid Members

WWE/TKO getting a lot of good luck at the right time, it seems. Just at the merger goes through and the exclusive negotiation period with Fox expires (which I think would have led to a fairly stacked Smackdown anyway):

- the strikes in Hollywood leave John Cena at a loose end and he comes back for his first extended run in years

- ESPN choose to take College Gameday to just down the road from Smackdown, bringing Pat McAfee to town

- The Rock also has a free schedule and is in town too - he is going to be the celebrity guest picker on Gameday today. I don't honestly know if WWE brought him to town allowing ESPN to use him or vice versa (suspect possibly the latter the due to his relationship with them through the XFL), but regardless he's there and goes on McAfee's (massively popular) show to tease both of them turning up to Smackdown.

One day, we might look back and cite Hollywood strikes & Colorado's decision to appoint Deion Sanders as head coach (and the circus that follows) as important moments in WWE/TKO making shedloads of money off a TV deal.

• Paid Members

So, in the spirit of "fucking NOTHING should pre-empt Cody taking the big belt from Roman at Mania" I'm throwing my full support behind them doing a Cena vs Rock rubber match at Mania. It's not going to harm anyone that's full time, it will be lots of fun, and there would be doubt as to the winner.

I'd personally promote it as "Rock vs Cena III : Once In A Lifetime" as a playful jab at the promotion of the first. It's certainly no dafter than saying "The Most Stupendous Two-Night Event In WrestleMania History" when you've only done two.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Roman is definitely beating Hogan's record isn't he? I think that would be around September 2024 time?

Ah, nobody should really give a shit though as making it to that point would only represent that long with the Universal title which effectively doesn't exist any more/has been unified. Roman only picked up THE belt, the WWE title, with all its legacy and the associated Hogan record of which you speak, at Mania 38. So, he can beat Hogan's duration holding a world title, but to truly beat "Hogan's record" with THE title, he needs to hold it until 2026.

To be fair, we're only holding Hogan's record as a benchmark because it's Hogan, given that it started one month after the end of Bob Backlund's first reign, which (uninterrupted, as far as company kayfabe goes) was longer. 

I can’t grasp what is going on with The Bloodline. Why would Jimmy not know how they operate in the segment of him agreeing to the contract signing and have to be educated on it? He’s been a member for years.

Edited by FUM

1 minute ago, FUM said:

I can’t grasp what is going on with The Bloodline. Why would Jimmy not know how they operate in the segment of him agreeing to the contract signing and have to be educated on it? He’s been a member for years.

If he's dumb enough to be back there with them then he's dumb enough to not know that.

They need to do some sort of brain damage or amnesia angle to explain what the fuck he's doing.

I know the Bloodline aren't too hot at the moment - and those completely invisible/edited type super bumps can be a bit naff - but I thought the backstage attack was a great bit of business. The sense of commotion afterwards, the cutting to and from it etc was well done and Cena played it off really well. A legend who has been through the wars and seen it all, suddenly realising how terribly dangerous these people are to fuck with, like nothing in his career before. 

One of the all time handling of What? chants as well from him. 

In terms of just accepting what WWE is and has been for years now, and who does that the best? He's the greatest. I'm sort of happy to just totally go along with their selling of that.