The Wrestler - 10 years on

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Simply, it's one of the very best films of the 00s. Its strength is despite doing a good job representing that life, the wrestling stuff is fairly inconsequential to the overall heft of the film. What I mean by that is you can think wrestling is for kids and weirdos and still be completely gripped and moved by the story of The Ram. Of course, it's held together by a painful performance by Rourke.

I've not watched it in 5 years or so. This has got me in the mood.

It's on Prime, for those that want to do the same.

• Paid Members

Like a lot of people here, at the time I was buzzing that a Hollywood movie was being made about wrestling and picking up so many awards nominations to boot. I thought it was brilliant, worthy of all the praise it received, but I haven't watched it since I first saw it. It's rare that I'll make an effort to revisit a sad film.

• Paid Members

I'm another that did the Wrestler/Black Swan double not long ago and agree, both fantastic. Watched with my non fan mate and absolutely its a brilliant movie, not just "brilliant for a movie about wrestling."

1 minute ago, air_raid said:

I'm another that did the Wrestler/Black Swan double not long ago and agree, both fantastic. Watched with my non fan mate and absolutely its a brilliant movie, not just "brilliant for a movie about wrestling."

Aronofsky is a bit hit and miss for me but I loved The Wrestler, watched it several times. Black Swan really disappointed me though, with all the hype I was not expecting a remake of Showgirls!

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, boytoy said:

Aronofsky is a bit hit and miss for me but I loved The Wrestler, watched it several times. Black Swan really disappointed me though, with all the hype I was not expecting a remake of Showgirls!

Showgirls was awesome.

• Paid Members

One thing I love about The Wrestler is Mickey Rourke busting out slingshot headscissors and shining wizards during the final scene. The image of this old, grizzled veteran still having to throw in indy spots because he's working an ROH show is fantastic.

9 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

One thing I love about The Wrestler is Mickey Rourke busting out slingshot headscissors and shining wizards during the final scene. The image of this old, grizzled veteran still having to throw in indy spots because he's working an ROH show is fantastic.

Nevermind the ambiguous “did he have a heart-attack” ending, the only real mystery was whether or not the Green Lantern Fan got the match time on his stopwatch

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Nevermind the ambiguous “did he have a heart-attack” ending, the only real mystery was whether or not the Green Lantern Fan got the match time on his stopwatch

Rated 2 and half stars due to the blatant spot calling and a botched finishing sequence. Post-match angle was superb though.

Its great as it mirrors Rourke's career in a lot of ways. His performance is great, but then again he was always great (his face though..fucking hell) He should have won the Oscar that year. I like Penn, but he seems to have won both Oscars for films that he shouldn't have won them for.

Its a good film that I'll watch if its on. And yes, Tomei makes this film so much better.

• Paid Members

As a kid I really loved Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man, so I was glad to see Rourke back, especially as we got to see him in Sin City and (shit though it was) Iron Man 2. Plus, Cantona's a massive fan of his, so he's clearly a good man, a great man.

I really enjoyed The Wrestler, and a big part of that was probably because the character of Randy was so recognisable to me. Obviously, the thread of Jake Roberts' life runs heavily through it, but there are also bits of Savage, Flair, Virgil, and maybe even of Kerry von Erich in there. The now iconic "I'm just a broken-down piece of meat" scene is heart-rending; it's Rourke's performance that stops it from feeling too Oscar-baiting too. The bleakness of it all at the end, that the only thing Randy's got left is what drove him down this road and will end up killing him, is probably one of the reasons I haven't watched it more than I have. It's not often there are films I don't want to watch because they're that good, rather than terrible.

Archived