Super Furry Animals appreciation thread.

PowerButchi

• Moderators

You can either read some thread about some shite germans called scooter.

Or alternatively we can sing the priases of SFA.

Between such joy as Something 4 the Weekend, Golden Retriever, but love as Juxtaposed With U (4 and U when it was cool), and the best football song of all time (all in Welsh)

Probably the only band ever as well to have a music video completely made from Actua Soccer 2, and then when they got annoyed with "Cool Britannia" made an entire album in Welsh called Mwng.

And Man Don't Give A Fuck samples Steely Dan, and SFA gave away 95% of the profits to Steeley Dan just to use that one line sample.

Super Furry Animals, the artisits bands wish they were. 

And for those on here who siarad cymraeg...

TRONS MISTAR URDD!!!

• Paid Members

I remember choosing to watch them headline a tent at a V Festival in the mid 00's over Oasis. But after 25 minutes of a bloke standing still in a power ranger mask with a microphone up to the neck hole of said mask, and having played most of the hits, we went off to see Oasis after all which I was please about as they split a few years later.

I did like their first few albums, but I was more into Pulp and Blur and Shed Seven and discovering older bands like The Kinks so they were never in my best bands list. Juxtapose is still a banger mind.

• Paid Members

Oh for fucks sake Butch, where am meant to put this picture of a lovely wee Koala now? 

A shrewd marketing ploy by this band. Make people think there are cute fluffy animals inside some dingy pub, and then when they arrive they get inflicted with that racket.  

maxresdefault.jpg

Once met Gruff Rhys in a pub. Pleasant chap. Think I spoke to him about Kurt Vonnegut. I never got into them massively but I always have a soft spot or any Welsh Anarchist band.

Its fair play to Creation Records what nutters they had on that label.

• Paid Members

I think the only band in the world where I've actually listened to and own all of their albums, watched them about half a dozen times. 

Pan Ddaw'r Wawr is my favourite song, and I realise I'm probably the only SFA fan in the world who holds that opinion.

It's often been said that the furries have done more to promote and help the Welsh language than any government initiative, and its always comforting that someone out there (Gruff) has made it in life with just as strong a north west Wales accent as the one I possess.

I've met Cian Ciaran a few times, and his dad who lives here on Anglesey, great bunch of lads. They're spending most of their time campaigning against a new nuclear plant here on the island (Wylfa Newydd) at the moment. 

They once headlined the Godiva Festival in Coventry, Playing at the same time were KRS-ONE and Ozomatli.  I opted for the latter but was told the Furries were spectacular.  I'd seen them before so that's why I went for Ozomatli as I didn't know if I'd get the chance to ever see them.

• Paid Members

Something 4 the weekend is one of those tracks you can't help but smile listening to and takes me straight back to school. They seemed to be the support act for every big Indie gig in the late 90s and were the default response to the question 'Oh, you're Welsh, you must like Catatonia?'

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

They once headlined the Godiva Festival in Coventry, Playing at the same time were KRS-ONE and Ozomatli.  I opted for the latter but was told the Furries were spectacular.  I'd seen them before so that's why I went for Ozomatli as I didn't know if I'd get the chance to ever see them.

Seeing as Ozomatli are legitimately one of the greatest live bands of all time, you definitely made the right choice.

• Paid Members

only ever saw them once, and that was recently as support to the Manics in Swansea. Never a massive fan but i think i owe it to myself to dip into the back catalogue.

the BBC documentary that came out about them a few years ago was a decent watch.

• Awards Moderator

Love 'em. Mrs Onyx saw them at Reading 96 and still says they were one of the best bands she's ever seen live. 

I owned the Rings Around the World DVD and used to leave it on repeat quite often. I particularly enjoyed the rudey cartoon video. 

Archived