2018 Wrestling Nominations: Positive

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

We've had 2018's last PPV, so nominations are now open for the UKFF Awards 2018!

You can nominate until New Year's Day, at which point I'll launch the voting proper.

If your nominations change between now and then due to anything great happening, please post your changes in a separate post, otherwise I'll probably miss them.

Please nominate up to three choices for each of the following awards, clearly stating the specific award your nominations are for.

If you want to give reasons or arguments why you've made your picks, please do.

Best pro wrestler - this can be any male or female singles wrestler. Tag combinations also acceptable if their combined work can't be separated or made distinct from each other

Best women's wrestler

Match of the Year

Best wrestling event - this is a single event. So 'All In' counts, but 'Being The Elite' doesn't. 'NXT September 14th' counts, but 'NXT' doesn't

Best wrestling show - TV, Network Exclusive, YouTube or web show. One off broadcasts like HBO's Andre documentary also count

Best feud or angle

Moment of the Year

Best babyface

Best heel

Funniest moment of the year

Best tag team

Best wrestling podcast

• Awards Moderator

To start us off, here are my choices:

Best pro wrestler

The first and obvious choice is BECKY LYNCH. I also nominate BUDDY MURPHY - no fucker other than me watches 205 anymore but all year he's never been less than excellent. So pleased he got his Bulldog Moment in Melbourne. Finally, the VELVETEEN DREAM because I'm happy each time he appears on NXT.

Best women's wrestler

Again, you have to go with BECKY LYNCH first. Second is SHAYNA BASZLER whose character work is just phenomenal and backed up by her actions in her matches. Finally, you can't ignore RONDA ROUSEY here.

Match of the Year

For the dramas, GARGANO VS CIAMPA AT TAKEOVER New Orleans (their first match). For the surprise at just how great it was, JEFF HARDY VS RANDY ORTON AT HELL IN A CELL. For the workrate... it's maybe Gargano/Almas ... but actually, I'm going with STORM VS SATOMURA IN THE MYC SEMI-FINALS.

Best wrestling event 

I'll pick ROYAL RUMBLE and TAKEOVER New Orleans.

Best wrestling show 

NXT I still enjoy almost every week. And I usually watch a decent number of clips from SMACKERS each week.

Best feud or angle

For Detective William Regal if nothing else, WHO ATTACKED ALEISTER BLACK? And even though it wasn't wholly satisfying, I'll pick SAMOA JOE VS AJ STYLES.

Moment of the Year

First and best, RICOCHET FLIPS OUT OF THE RING TO CONFRONT VELVETEEN DREAM. Properly brilliant. Second, ELIAS AND KEVIN OWENS GET BOOED TO FUCK because it was brilliant and aaah isn't it just lovely to hear heels being booed? Finally, MARK HENRY'S HOF SPEECH because he's a wonderful man.

Best babyface

Well, until he turned heel it was JOHNNY GARGANO. Otherwise, yeah, just BECKY LYNCH again.

Best heel

There've been loads of good ones this year. I can't even fit The New Daniel Bryan in because I'm going with TOMASSO CIAMPA, SHAYNA BASZLER and SAMOA JOE.

Funniest moment of the year

Two come to mind. TITUS FACEPLANTS AT THE GRR and, naturally, "PAIGE HERE!"

Best tag team

Forget all the great matches, I could justify UNDISPUTED ERA just for the "BOOM" moment in their entrance and Kyle O'Reilly's belt guitar.

Best wrestling podcast

It's WRESTLE ME's year.

• Paid Members

Best pro wrestler Becky Lynch, Brawn Strowman, Samoa Joe

Best women's wrestler - Becky Lynch, Charlotte Flair, Ronda Rousey

Moment of the Year - Anything Becky Lynch did

Best babyface - Becky Lynch, Brawn Strowman

Best heel - Becky Lynch, Samoa Joe, Drew McIntyre

Funniest moment of the year - The Anvil's face on a table

Best tag team - Anyone but the two fat lads and Spud

Best Wrestler - Hard to ignore my girl Becky here, although special mention to Velveteen Dream for having a string of consistently good to great matches in NXT

Best Women's Wrestler - Becky or Ronda for me, the latter has made an awesomely smooth transition into wrestling this year and will only get better

Best Match - Any of the Ciampa/Gargano matches or the WarGames match from last month

Best Event - Takeover WarGames or Evolution 

Best TV Show - NXT is still the top dog of weekly TV, NXT UK gets a nod also for a solid start despite the crazy delay between taping and airing

Best Feud/Angle - Who Attacked Alister Black?

Moment of the Year - Daniel Bryan returning to the ring 2 years after everyone thought his career was done, Daniel Bryan turning heel and making it work

Best Face - Seth Rollins or Toni Storm

Best Heel - Shayna Basler

Funniest Moment - Titus Worldslide or Matt Riddle knocking out Fattius Ohno in 5 seconds

Best Tag Team - Undisputed Era's Strong and O'Reilly, Moustache Mountain

• Awards Moderator

Best pro wrestler - Ronda has been must see every time. What a stratospheric rise. And I like her eye make up. 

Best women's wrestler - see above. 

Match of the Year - Ronda/Angle v Steph/HHH. Pure sports entertainment, the way I like it. 

Best wrestling event - NXT UK Championship Tournament. Wish I'd known tickets were being thrown away the night before! 

Best wrestling show - NXT. Then, now, forever. 

Best feud or angle - Bryan's heel tirn

Moment of the Year - Bryan returns. Tears all round. 

Best baby face - Becky. 

Best heel - Ciampa. 

Funniest moment of the year - Titus, the big goon. 

Best tag team - Moustache Mountain (my phone autocorrected this to Michael Moustache, who must be their manager) 

Best wrestling podcast - WrestleMe, if only because it isn't 8 hours long. Brevity people! It is super entertaining though. 

Not much of a fan of WWE as a joke this year so most of my nominations are Japan based.

Best pro wrestler: Zack Sabre Jr, Minoru Suzuki, Velveteen Dream

Best women's wrestler: Becky Lynch, Hazuki, Kairi Sane

Match of the Year: Kazuchika Okada Vs Zack Sabre Jr - Sakura Genesis 01/04/2018, Will Ospreay Vs Marty Scurll - Sakura Genesis 01/04/2018, Kagetsu and Hazuki Vs Dash Chisako and Chihiro Hashimoto 16/11/2018 (Special Stardom Vs Sendai Girls Tag Match, ended in a double count out but they went at it for a full 30mins very entertaining)

Best wrestling event - NJPW Sakura Genesis, All In, NXT Takeover War Games II

Best wrestling show - NXT

Best feud or angle: Ciampa Vs Gargano, White Vs Okada, 

Moment of the Year: Daniel Bryan Return, Zack Sabre Jr’s New Japan Cup Win

Best babyface: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Becky Lynch

Best heel: Jay White, Tomasso Ciampa, Minoru Suzuki

Funniest moment of the year: Titus O’Neill

Best tag team: Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi (hard to pick out a good one this year, I’ve gone for the Golden Lovers only because they haven’t been in a bad match)

Best wrestling podcast: OSW Review

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

Best pro wrestler - WALTER, Tanahashi, Ciampa

Best women's wrestler - Becky Lynch, Meiko, Jordynne Grace

Match of the Year - PCO vs WALTER (Spring Break II), Gargano vs Almas (Takeover: Philly), Omega vs Okada (Dominion)

Best wrestling event - All In, Slammiversary, Dominion

Best wrestling show - NXT, MLW, WXW Shotgun

Best feud or angle - Zabre Jr's run through the New Japan cup, David Starr vs Joey Janela, WALTER vs Jordan Devlin

Moment of the Year - Golden Lovers hug it out (NJPW New Beginning In Sapporo), Becky stands defiantly in the crowd whilst covered in blood, WALTER and PCO chop the fuck out of each other at Spring Break II

Best babyface - Becky Lynch, PCO, Bandido 

Best heel - WALTER, Ciampa, Daniel Bryan

Funniest moment of the year - Titus trips at GRR, YOSHI-HASHI trips at Destruction In Kobe, Braun walks past Trent Seven whilst looking for a partner (WrestleMania)

Best tag team - KOR & Roddy, Young Bucks, Rascalz

Best wrestling podcast - POST Wrestling, Attitude Era Podcast, SCG

Edited by Accident Prone

Best pro wrestler:  Pete Dunne, Zack Sabre Jr, Tomasso Ciampa 

Best women's wrestler: Charlotte Flair, Ronda Rousey, Becky Lynch (I must mention Shayna Baszler, she had a fantastic year. She would've been in my top 3 without question if these choices were being made just a few months back) 

Match of the Year: Johnny Gargano vs. Tomasso Ciampa (NXT TakeOver: New Orleans), Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW Wrestling Dontaku:Night 2), Pete Dunne, Ricochet, and The War Raiders vs. The Undisputed Era (NXT TakeOver: WarGames)  ...Some other strong considerations: Last Woman Standing Match:Charlotte vs. Becky Lynch (WWE Evolution), Charlotte vs. Ronda Rousey (WWE Survivor Series), Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll (NJPW Sakura Genesis), Kenny Omega vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW Dominion), Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Kazuchika Okada (NJPW Sakura Genesis), Minoru Suzuki vs. Kazuchika Okada (Minoru Suzuki 30th Anniversary Great Pirate Festival) Moustache Mountain vs. The Undisputed Era (NXT TV), Kushida vs. Sho (NJPW Best of the Super Juniors Day 8) Tomohiro Ishii vs. Kenny Omega (NJPW G1 Climax) Tomohiro Ishii vs. Hirooki Goto (NJPW G1 Climax), NXT North American Title Ladder Match: Adam Cole vs. EC3 vs. Killian Dain vs. Lars Sullivan vs. Ricochet vs. Velveteen Dream (NXT TakeOver: New Orleans) ......I could go on but I'll stop myself there. It's been a good year!

Best wrestling event - NXT TakeOver: New Orleans, All In, NJPW Sakura Genesis

Best wrestling show - NXT, MLW

Best feud or angle: Tomasso Ciampa Vs Johnny Gargano, Who Attacked Aleister Black

Moment of the Year:  1)Hiroshi Tanahashi's comeback trail, leading to his G1 Climax victory. 2)The Return of Daniel Bryan  3)Zack Sabre Jr. winning the New Japan Cup 

Best babyface: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Becky Lynch, Toni Storm 

Best heel: Tomasso Ciampa, Minoru Suzuki, Drew McIntyre 

Funniest moment of the year: Titus O’Neil, The backstage segments of Nikki Cross on NXT during the "Who Attacked Aleister Black" angle, especially some of her interactions with William Regal.

Best tag team: Moustache Mountain 

Edited by Mattyc

• Paid Members

Best pro wrestler Becky Lynch, Velveteen Dream

Best women's wrestler - Lynch, Toni Storm

Best wrestling event WWE Evolution

Best wrestling show NXT, SmackDown, Can I suggest GLOW on Netflix?

Best feud or angle - Hardy vs Orton, Ciampa vs Gargano

Moment of the Year - Bryan killing the Yes Movement "Fickle", Velveteen Dream manages to get a headband more over than half the roster at TakeOver while also calling out Hogan, Elias gets booed out the building with Owens.

Best babyface - Mustapha Ali, Velveteen Dream, Rusev

Best heel - Randy Orton, Tomasso Ciampa 

Funniest moment of the year - Titus' face plant

Best tag team - Braun and Nicholas, Roppongi 3K, Moustache Mountain

Edited by Shy Dad

Best pro wrestler Becky Lynch, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Will Ospreay.

Best women's wrestler - Becky Lynch, Ronda Rousey, Meiko Satomura.

Match of the Year - Omega vs Okada IV (Dominion), Tanahashi vs Ibushi (G1 Climax Finals), Daniel Bryan vs Brock Lesnar (Survivor Series)

Best wrestling event Dominion, G1 Climax Night 18, Royal Rumble.

Best wrestling show NXT, MLW, NXT UK.

Best feud or angle - Omega vs Okada, Styles vs Joe, Becky vs everyone.

Moment of the Year - Tanahashi wins the G1 Climax with Shibata in his corner, Daniel Bryan's heroic return, Golden Lovers reunite.

Best babyface - Will Ospreay, Becky Lynch, Hiroshi Tanahashi

Best heel - Shayna Baszler, Minoru Suzuki, Daniel Bryan

Funniest moment of the year - SANADA beating Yano by tying him up on the ramp, Titus falling over, Rousey's expression after being put through a table.

Best tag team - Young Bucks, Roppongi 3K, RingKampf

Best wrestling podcast - OSW Review (only one I listen to)

Edited by AdamTH17

• Paid Members

Best pro wrestler - Becky Lynch

Best women's wrestler - Becky Lynch

Match of the Year - Meh

Best wrestling event - All the Takeovers

Best wrestling show - NXT

Best feud or angle - Who attacked Black?

Moment of the Year - Bryan's return.

Best babyface - Becky Lynch

Best heel - Ciampa

Funniest moment of the year - Titus

• Paid Members

Best Pro Wrestler

Shayna Baszler - Highly impressed by her, struggles to have a bad match, the most legit bad ass by a mile, she deserves as much praise as possible before they ruin the illusion after her inevitable call up.

Velveteen Dream - Most charismatic and entertaining wrestler on the planet. His development has been spectacular. Truly the total package.

Samoa Joe - He is the most convincing male wrestler in terms of believability, continuity and overall quality. He’s an absolute master of his trade. It’s a shame they are lacking in top baby face, as Joe is the best utter bastard they have.

(Lynch narrowly missing out)

Best women's wrestler

Baszler - See above 

Flair - She puts on consistently brilliant matches and she is the owner of the best beat down of the year in my opinion.

Lynch - Where to start, sheer class. Talk about taking the flower by the thorns.

Best Match

NXT New Orleans - 6 way ladder match

Evolution - Lynch vs Flair

(Fuck, torn between 2 for my 3rd choice. Either Joe vs AJ at Summerslam, or Baszler vs Sane at Wargames, I’m going to go and watch both of them back & confirm later).

Best wrestling show 

NXT

UpUp DownDown

Figure it Out

Best wrestling podcast

Something to Wrestle With

Squared Circle

Broken But Glorious (for interviews)

Edited by Kaz Hayashi