Your Year In Music

Accident Prone

• Paid Members

I shudder to think how awful mine would look.

I have incredibly bad habbits when it comes to music. Instead of listening to albums like most normal people, I hear a song I like and play it death until I get sick of it and move on to something else.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

This thread has made me realise I haven't scrobbled anything to Last.fm since 2016. I have reactivated that on my phone and desktop so I'll have some stats this time next year....

I've been slowly digitising a lot of old cds this year so I can get rid of them and free up some space. As a result I've rediscovered some great old gems I haven't listened to in ages. The best of them has been the self-titled Radiator album. I bought it because I saw them supporting Pitchshifter back in the late 90s and the album has stood up really well and I completely forgot it existed. The closest thing I could compare them to is a bit like Ash or Feeder, but not complete shit.

Oh, here it is! Good old youtube... - 

ive got that album, probably haven't listened to it in close to 20 years.

I have a huge box of old cd's in my attic, theres some absolute gems in there.

Not on Spotify but this year for me has been quite a good one for discovering new stuff. Conjurer's "Mire" is an absolute masterwork so has had plenty of hammer, as has Slugdge's latest "Esoteric Malacology". Lastly I've fallen in love a bit with BongCauldron. Their "Tyke" EP was the biggest selling album through Bandcamp at one point so not just me. Just horrible, primitive, dirty doomy sludge.

• Paid Members

@waters44I don't think anyone is topping your list in terms of variety! From UK Garage to gangster rap to some marvellous orchestral soundtrack. That's a hell of a triple threat right there.

Here's my Top 100 most listened to list. Despacito is at #2 for the 2nd bloody year running due to my 9yo daughter. You can just about make out Thin Lizzy at the bottom, that's my 6yo son. Greatest Showman bollocks is my wife.

Screenshot_20181218-192915_Spotify.thumb.jpg.8f6dedafda3e6450627de368d17d43f9.jpg

16 hours ago, Merzbow said:

I feel like I'm meant to be into Conjurer but they do very little for me, now Vile Creature on the other hand are the future of doom/sludge imo. A wonderful pair of people too.

Vile Creature are cracking, was gutted I couldn't see them on tour the other week.

Conjurer sold me when I saw them live at Doom VS Stoner. Just visceral, nasty stuff, loads of stage presence despite not having much interaction with the crowd and a really natural intensity. I'd say to go and see them live while they're playing relatively small venues for affordable ticket prices, see if that changes your mind. They've just announced a big US tour so chances are they're going to be absolutely massive next year.

• Awards Moderator

image.thumb.png.e716400facdb9dd0f89419f86a0328b8.png

I listen to a lot of movie soundtracks. John Grant was my favourite find this year though, really dug his stuff. Emotional, cutting with insults and really earnest voice.

The Tastebreakers playlist is utter gibberish. Packed with things I listen to loads! EDIT: Oh, apart from this Bruce Forsyth album:

https://open.spotify.com/album/2WJcn4dRiq0Dbhmuvzz3Lq

It features a track called I'm Backing Britain which has a fascinating story.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

image.thumb.png.e716400facdb9dd0f89419f86a0328b8.png

I listen to a lot of movie soundtracks. John Grant was my favourite find this year though, really dug his stuff. Emotional, cutting with insults and really earnest voice.

The Tastebreakers playlist is utter gibberish. Packed with things I listen to loads!

Marz has been a favourite of mine for a long time. Cracking tune.

• Paid Members

I feel like I've been saying this every year for too long now, but I'm hopelessly out of touch. The last few years I've barely bought any new music, and in 2016 all my favourite artists died, which didn't help.

There's some odds and sods I've listened to, and I've started using Spotify a lot more than I have in the past.

e447c156d9.png&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=

The "big" releases for me have been - as somewhat reflected on the Spotify graphic - Juliana Hatfield's album of Olivia Newton-John covers, which was the soundtrack of my summer, and which I listened to fairly relentlessly for a couple of weeks, Prince's "Piano & A Microphone 1983", Eliza Carthy & Norma Waterson's "Anchor", and Dylan Carlson's "Conquistador". Probably other stuff I'm forgetting.

Otherwise, I've got big into The Long Winters - who had always been on my radar as one of many US indie-pop bands I had a handful of tracks by - as a result of listening to John Roderick's podcasts, rediscovered my love for They Might Be Giants, but aside from that, mostly business as usual.

3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

John Grant was my favourite find this year though, really dug his stuff. Emotional, cutting with insults and really earnest voice.

Yep, big fan of the GMF over here.  Sorry for going all UK Kat Von D but an old friend of mine plays keyboards for him so I get to go whenever he plays nearby.  Glacier in particular is a song that has gotten me through a very bad time in my life.

Archived