VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

• Paid Members

Haven't watched it yet, but this week on the Great British Bake Off was Vegan Week. Really looking forward to see what they use in place of the regular stuff. I'm not much of a Baker myself so I'm wondering what they'd use to bind the bakes instead of eggs. 

No spoilers please! 

• Awards Moderator
Just now, Silky Kisser said:

Haven't watched it yet, but this week on the Great British Bake Off was Vegan Week. Really looking forward to see what they use in place of the regular stuff. I'm not much of a Baker myself so I'm wondering what they'd use to bind the bakes instead of eggs. 

No spoilers please! 

No spoilers but it's really enjoyable, and hopefully opened a few eyes to the egg- and dairy-free possibilities. I'm definitely going to try the meringue. Even hardcore meat-and-two-veg type Paul Hollywood admits there's some great products out there.

• Paid Members

No spoilers please! 

Was gonna mention this. We were two weeks behin so we've watched two episodes this week and the first 10-15 minutes of the Vegan one. It's interesting. Although they're already using loads of stuff I've recently discovered is non-Vegan due to the poor bees being exploited.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Was gonna mention this. We were two weeks behin so we've watched two episodes this week and the first 10-15 minutes of the Vegan one. It's interesting. Although they're already using loads of stuff I've recently discovered is non-Vegan due to the poor bees being exploited.

I've seen this on a clip from 'QI' doing the rounds too & found it interesting. I assume it depends how strict an individuals veganism is as to whether they class honey, avocado's & butternut squash as 'truly' vegan.

• Paid Members

Dayum, I never even thought about Honey and the like. 

Avocado and butternut squash not Vegan friendly? Can someone shed some light on that for me please? 

Commercial growers manually transport & keep 'farmed' bees for the pollination of these foods as leaving it to nature wouldn't produce the volumes required (or something like that?).

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I've seen this on a clip from 'QI' doing the rounds too & found it interesting. I assume it depends how strict an individuals veganism is as to whether they class honey, avocado's & butternut squash as 'truly' vegan.

Mentioned it to a Vegan friend yesterday - who doesn't eat honey - to see what they thought. Haven't heard back yet. Genuinely interested in their thoughts on the ethics of that. Would make Veganism near impossible if all of those fruits and veg were off the table wouldn't it?

• Paid Members

Even if I were to go, in my eyes, "full vegan", I don't think I'd ever cut out things like honey or plants that are pollinated by farmed bees. I know vegans who don't eat honey, but can't imagine they'd stretch to cutting out fruit!

I've often wanted to keep bees, though recent studies suggest that cultivating honey bees is actually to the detriment of wild pollinators and other bee species - which is at odds with previous advice on urban beekeeping being an environmental net gain. So who the fuck knows any more?

@tiger_rick - I don't know about "impossible", but damn near it. It would require a move towards more sustainable farming, on a much smaller scale. Possible at an individual level, but en masse, surely unworkable, certainly in the short term.

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

Mentioned it to a Vegan friend yesterday - who doesn't eat honey - to see what they thought. Haven't heard back yet. Genuinely interested in their thoughts on the ethics of that. Would make Veganism near impossible if all of those fruits and veg were off the table wouldn't it?

Not sure tbh, I reckon it all comes down to the individual & how strict they are? I know some Vegans who wont wear any leather/animal products & others who will. I guess it all comes down to best efforts & practicality?

On a separate note I had a Seitan Doner Kebab at the weekend & it was fucking delicious.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

In regards people asking questions about Vegan diets, i get similar questions asked when i have to bring up the fact that i cant eat gluten, soy protein, dairy or fructose, it can be frustrating. I think some people take it the wrong way (ooo errr) when i say i cant eat it, i get the impression that they think i am pretending or something.

I can identify with this. As much as i take the piss because I know a few over-bearing vegans and some Gluten intolereables, as someone who has just never really liked meat (I've never liked Bacon and still don't), I've always had to explain myself. It's even more difficult now. "Are you vegan? No. A Veggie then? No. What are you then?"

• Paid Members

I've seen the Bake Off Vegan week show now. The technical challenge, Vegan Pavlova was really interesting. Most of them looked absolutely belting. The tarts in the opening round were almost entirely fantastic looking too. It was a decent "advert" for veganism although tarts, pavlova and cake aren't exactly the basis of anyone's diet - though the curry that went into a couple of the tarts clearly could be. I'd be interested in a series where they cookedpractical vegan dishes to replace what most people eat day in, day out. I found it really interesting.

I'm planning some Apple & Cinnamon cookies for the weekend. I looked into making vegan ones, just for a challenge really, but the amount of shite you need put me off. Maybe one day that sort of stuff will be part of my store cupboard but it's massively excessive currently compared to butter, eggs and flour that I have anyway.