VeganMania

UK Kat Von D

13 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

To be fair, this thread snowballed the second "I believe the whole world will be vegan by 2030" was posted without a moments hesitation. If it weren't for that, and the insinuation that an entire industry can crumble without any massive negative effects to the working classes, then this thread would be coming along nicely with photos of food and recipe suggestions. 

I belive I actually said that by 2030 it would be the norm. So more vegans than meat eaters. Posted without a moments hesitation because as you can see, it’s a topic I’m happy to spend vast amounts of time discussing with anyone who wants to talk about it. Years of research and critical thinking have lead me to the stance I have. I understand it could seem a bit mental if you are reading it for the first time, but if you are open to it then the more you think about it the more it’ll make sense. It is totally within the realms of possibility and I genuinely think it is the probably outcome. 

On 9/25/2018 at 4:23 AM, UK Kat Von D said:

I reckon by 2030 it’ll be the norm. It’s already changed and moved a lot in the last five years, and it has a snowball effect. The main deterants are lack of options, price and availability. The more people hop on board then more places will offer it as a serious alternative. The more places that do that then the more people will hop on board. 

• Paid Members

@UK Kat Von D That's not much better, to be fair. You can pin point the moment the thread took an ugly spill, and that's it right there. Veganism may have increased awareness by 2030 but to say it will be the norm (as in the majority will be practicing it) is a bit daft. Fair play for having the passion to believe it though.

16 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

like I said I haven’t actually watched it and also haven’t spent any time fact checking it.

Jesus Christ lad.  Why should I watch a bunch you youtube videos if you've not even bothered to.  Don't just type words into Google and post the first thing that comes up that you think supports your argument, it's transparent and makes you look like a fool.

I think it's great that you want to save the world one tofu burger at a time, but your inability to process facts and arguments that are in contrast to your own beliefs makes you about the worst advocate for veganism I've ever met.  You're not going to convince anyone that way, let alone insulting them as you have done with Rey Piste, who's been very patiently trying to open your horizons a touch, nominative determinism aside.

Veganism of the type you ascribe too will almost certainly never be the norm, there's no point in marching to that destination.  If people and market forces can be persuaded to reduce significantly the amount of meat that people eat per capita, and we move drastically to sustainable and local farming, that would be a huge result in itself.  But people are never going to stop cooking with eggs and butter, or drinking milk.  They've been fundamentals of our civilisation for hundreds of thousands of years.  That's not going to change, certainly not in a decade.

• Paid Members
On 9/24/2018 at 8:09 PM, Carbomb said:

That does look good, SK, and it reminds me that my sister's been doing something similar recently: cubes of sweet potato with chopped onion, peppers, and mushrooms, seasoned with garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and ground cumin/jeerah, and all tossed in olive oil. She also puts feta cheese in, which is nice, but it's not absolutely necessary. Roast in the oven and you have a delicious dish.

So my sister made this dish again yesterday, minus the mushrooms - it's become a bit of a staple with us now. Before going in the oven:

IMG_20180925_172336.thumb.jpg.ead9ab4e1064b3c6b724e79235d400f1.jpg

And after (she's added feta here, but for the purposes of this thread, vegan cheese will work just as well):

IMG_20180925_181037.thumb.jpg.9e8258709ce62c793d8afacae5fb1b5d.jpg

EDIT: Just remembered - if you make this, put a bit of water in the bottom of the tray, so that the veg can steam a bit and not go totally dry.

Edited by Carbomb

1 hour ago, Freddie-hartland said:

Going vegan is clearly the right thing to do for environmental reasons and for ethical reasons. There is no way to get around it despite what facts you can find on the internet. 

However the world and mankind are fucked either way so stop arguing and do what you want

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Jesus Christ lad.  Why should I watch a bunch you youtube videos if you've not even bothered to.  Don't just type words into Google and post the first thing that comes up that you think supports your argument, it's transparent and makes you look like a fool.

I think it's great that you want to save the world one tofu burger at a time, but your inability to process facts and arguments that are in contrast to your own beliefs makes you about the worst advocate for veganism I've ever met.  You're not going to convince anyone that way, let alone insulting them as you have done with Rey Piste, who's been very patiently trying to open your horizons a touch, nominative determinism aside.

Veganism of the type you ascribe too will almost certainly never be the norm, there's no point in marching to that destination.  If people and market forces can be persuaded to reduce significantly the amount of meat that people eat per capita, and we move drastically to sustainable and local farming, that would be a huge result in itself.  But people are never going to stop cooking with eggs and butter, or drinking milk.  They've been fundamentals of our civilisation for hundreds of thousands of years.  That's not going to change, certainly not in a decade.

Because I’m already fucking vegan, I don’t need to watch stuff to make me go vegan. I just know it’s one well reviewed film that a lot of people give credit to. I’ve said numerous times that I’m not particularly bothered about the health benefits, so I’m not going to spend my time watching films about it. You aren’t going to watch the videos I have watched so why does it matter to you either way? Also, I didn’t just randomly type stuff into google. Everything I linked to are trailers for well known critically acclaimed films. Stop making stupid assumptions.

I keep explaining to you, the facts are on my side. Literally some of the smartest people ever agree with me. That’s another fact if you wanna go check it out.  

You just saying it isn’t going to change because it won’t is lazy and full of holes. I never thought I’d be Vegan at one point, but here we are 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

5 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

I keep explaining to you, the facts are on my side

I reckon for keeping tabs, you should say what "Your side" is, because I'm not sure anyone has disagreed about the morality nor the global impact the meat industry has.  So what would you sum up "Your side" as?

I think David was bang on earlier about people know where their dinner comes from, they just don't give enough of a fuck to do anything about it.  And I think we both agreed that it's more a case of changing societal norms would bring about mass veganism.

9 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Literally some of the smartest people ever agree with me.

It's more a case of you agreeing with them, but semantics.

1 minute ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Yeah fair point, Einstein and Da Vinci didn’t read my rantings and say “that Max bloke has a point.” 

But they would now if they read them.  Da Vinci in particular would be a huge Rancid fan.