Hell In A Cell is next week apparently

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

I suppose I wouldn’t really have known it was so soon since I’m not even watching highlights of Raw or Smackers at the moment, but when the ad came on before this week’s NXT I was surprised to see this show is next weekend!

Is there anything worth discussing on the show?

Here’s the card, which is (again, as a non-watcher) is looking surprisingly complete, at least on the SD side:

Daniel Bryan & Brie Bella vs Miz & Maryse

The New Day defending the Tag titles

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe for the WWE Title

Charlotte Flair vs Becky Lynch for the Women’s Title

Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy in a Cell match.

The Raw side’s a little smaller:

Ronda Rousey vs Alexa Bliss for the Women’s title

Roman Reigns vs Braun Strowman, cashing in the MITB in a Cell match.

Looks to be shaping up as a decent card, even if the show’s sneaked up on me. Anyone particularly looking forward to it?

And the poster:

EDEDF9D8-46E1-4B1E-9D12-16A5A3D5397A.jpeg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Last year: I stayed spoiler free throughout Monday at work, couldn't watch due to things popping up in the evening, then managed to watch half on Tuesday morning and the rest on Tuesday evening. Still managed it spoiler free too, with the extra added effort of Twitter muting and everything.

This year: I'll skim the results at work and I'll catch some GIFs of the big spots.

Incredible how much my interest has plummeted, especially considering that I used to enjoy sticking to just the PPVs. A bi-monthly fix of WWE used to be perfect post-work Monday evening fodder. Now I just read a report and browse Twitter a bit whilst on the bog.

The introduction of the wives into this Bryan/Miz thing is absolute shite I reckon. Brie has less personality than Nick Aldis, it's frightening. You get this awkward thing where the crowd wanna cheer Bryan but then she starts talking and they go "arghhh give the mic back to Bryan you're a bit boring" and the whole thing suffers.

Jeff Hardy is going to break some bones in his body isn't he?

• Paid Members

When I was a young warthog the build up to the six-man at Armageddon felt like the biggest fucking deal ever at the time. You had Austin who’d not long been back after injury, The Rock who I was desperately hoping would regain the WWF title, Undertaker who was another one of my favourites (I know he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea at this point but as a kid I thought he was the bollocks), then you had Rikishi who’d been revealed as the guy who ran over Stone Cold, you had Triple H who was the top heel in the business and the man who’d orchestrated the running over of Stone Cold, and everyone’s favourite Olympian in Kurt Angle who was two months in to his first WWF title run. It felt absolutely massive. A six-pack challenge in it’s own right for the gold was a big deal, but back then in the relatively early days of the cell when it had never been done before? Blow me down! 

With the exception of maybe HHH/Undertaker at Mania, no cell match has come close for me when it comes to the actual build-up. It just felt like an absolutely massive spectacle leading into it. Can’t remember a great deal about the match itself other than the Rikishi spot, mind. 

Yeah, that's basically been the downfall of the cell over the past few years. Long gone are the days where you'd have wrestlers fighting in the cell because the situation, feud and wrestlers in question called for it, now it all just hinges on the date and PPV name giving them an excuse to bust out the cell, which they'll continue to do until the HIAC gimmick stops being an attraction, or until they're unable to wheel out Foley to warble on about the dangers of the thing, both of which I can't see happening for a while.

Surprised that AJ/Joe doesn't warrant the cell given how their Summerslam match ended mind, would've made logical sense, but with that in mind we are discussing WWE.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

Yeah, that's basically been the downfall of the cell over the past few years. Long gone are the days where you'd have wrestlers fighting in the cell because the situation, feud and wrestlers in question called for it, now it all just hinges on the date and PPV name giving them an excuse to bust out the cell, which they'll continue to do until the HIAC gimmick stops being an attraction, or until they're unable to wheel out Foley to warble on about the dangers of the thing, both of which I can't see happening for a while.

Surprised that AJ/Joe doesn't warrant the cell given how their Summerslam match ended mind, would've made logical sense, but with that in mind we are discussing WWE.

I think Joe and AJ may also be booked to wrestle each other on the Australia show already, as well as at HIAC (I may have dreamed this, mind). That could be why they aren't inside the cell, as they are going to run it back again in a couple of weeks, but what gimmick do you go to after the cell? 

• Paid Members

I don't know if it's why they're doing it but Joe/Angle is great enough on its own and doesn't feel like it needs a stipulation. Hardy/Orton needs something and the obvious suggestion that Hardy might jump off shit makes it sensible to stick it on HIAC.

Archived