The Supermarket Sweep

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

1856.jpg

Me and the misses do our weekly shop in Lidl. Max spend is usually about 70 quid, which covers us for everything we need, so we don't tend to spend anything midweek in work and stuff. 

Lidl is pretty good overall in my eyes. The meat is usually of a quite decent quality,  their fruit and veg is usually passable but doesn't last too long before it gets a bit 'offish'. Snacks and stuff are priced very well too. They also have a great on site bakery which is always a bonus. 

My only complaint is that you find they have stuff one week, but not the next, which can be slightly infuriating

Edited by Silky Kisser

I alternate between Asda and Aldi. The Asda near me is actually branded as a Wal-Mart presents Asda and is huge, and has a great selection of everything at good prices. I love the fresh produce at Aldi but can't get all my shopping there so usually alternate between Aldi and Asda on a weekly basis.

I'll occasionally pop to Sainsbury's too. I can see the local Tesco out of my bedroom window but I have an irrational hatred of Tesco so rarely ever go there. Whenever I buy fruit or veg from Tesco it's always past it's best, and on far too many occasions I've opened things like bags of onions to find mouldy ones in there. I don't know if it's better elsewhere but I always have bad experiences with them.

I haven’t done a weekly shop in ages as I’m only shopping for myself really and I’ll pick up a few things for the girlfriend when she is staying over.

Sainsburys for me as it’s the closest but I generally go to my local shop round the corner which is basically a mini Tesco

• Paid Members

We use Sainsburys. We do it online. The shop is only a mile away but the hour or so it takes to wander around is something i find fucking suicide inducing so I'd rather get it delivered. Plus, I find we spend a minimum of £20 more if we go around the shop and pick up shit we don't really need because it's on offer or on display or whatever.

• Awards Moderator

The past year, weekly food shop was my Friday evening after work job and I’d really enjoy it. Stick a podcast on, have the list ready and I was off. Majority was done at Aldi with the bits you can’t get in there picked up afterwards at Sainsbury’s.

Since we’ve moved and I became the commuter of the two of us, she’s been doing Lidl and Tesco. It just ain’t right but there’s no Aldi anywhere near us anymore.

• Paid Members

I use Sainsburys - preferably the handheld scanner thing, but the Banbury scanners are shit. 

I save up the nectar points for Xmas, where I then buy loads of stuff for the food banks and the homeless shelters. I might start changing that to using x amount of them a month to do it instead, rather than the influx at Xmas. 

• Paid Members

We're Morrison's people. We have a Tesco Extra, Morrisons, Asda, a Lidl and two Aldi's within a 15 minute drive of us, but we prefer Morrisons' layout and it just feel's a nicer place to walk around...

• Awards Moderator

I've been having deliveries from Tesco for nearly ten years. About £90 a week. 

The ease of just dropping stuff into an online order through the week vastly outweighs the tedium of battling morons with a trolley. I keep a shopping list going via Google Home ("hey Google, put forks on the shopping list"). 

When I get the chance to wander around Aldi or Lidl I like the unusual things they have. Asda is a fucking curse on mankind though. Their appalling meat and mealy, dust-covered bread deserves firing into the sun. 

• Paid Members

Tesco’s, purely due to convinience.  Prefer the other stores for almost everything, but I have 2 of the big T’s within 10 minutes walk, where I would have to put effort in to attend the others.

I've got an Aldi and Tesco right next to each other so usually go to both, Aldi is great for the "Super 6" and that pretty much defines my meals and fruit for the week and I find that most of their stuff is better than Tescos own brand, their alcohol is great too with the fake Newkie Brown being as good if not better than the real thing. The Tesco shop is more of a deal/offer hunt, find whatever is half price.

26 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I've been having deliveries from Tesco for nearly ten years. About £90 a week. 

The ease of just dropping stuff into an online order through the week vastly outweighs the tedium of battling morons with a trolley. I keep a shopping list going via Google Home ("hey Google, put forks on the shopping list"). 

On a slightly unrelated note, how does this work then? Does it literally add it to your shopping cart or just creates a list for you that you then add to your shopping cart?

Usually Morrisons/Tescos as they are the closest.

I don't really like Tescos but there is like 5/6 all within a 10-15 minute drive so its more of a popping in for a quick shop than choosing to go there.

Morrisons though is literally mental with all old people not having a clue what they are doing with there trolleys so can only manage about 10 minutes in there.

I live like 25 minutes from a massive Sainsbury's which is amazing with its Deli Counter and fresh bread and would be my go to choice but we do end up buying lots of nice things and then realising how expensive it is at the check out. 

There is no Asda near me sadly, but is the go to place (50 min drive) at Easter/Christmas with the chocolates, sweets and all the festive stuff. 

Aldis for the european experience every so often as well. It just feels like your in a supermarket abroad in there which I don't actually mind. 

Edited by Briefcase