The Supermarket Sweep

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

Our shopping is a mix - I try to avoid the usual supermarkets, because they’re well overpriced in the city. We order the bulk of our groceries on Amazon Price Fresh, they have some crazy deals and the delivery is a bit ropey, which leads to discounts and refunds galore. Also, 5% cashback. Most of the rest I get from Trader Joe, which has nice bread and fresh food. The remaining balance is from various supermarkets in the projects, that I tend to cycle past on the way home. About $140 a week.

• Paid Members

Tesco home delivery because I hate having to walk around a supermarket on any morning battling the great unwashed hordes. Lidl's every 3-4 weeks for a range of things, usually early in the morning as they first open to avoid other shoppers 

The joy of Lidl is the middle aisles of insanity. It is the only place you are likely to find a chainsaw, a wetsuit, and a pair of grandad trainers one week, and the next week a food mixer, a compressor, and a dressing gown. 

Aldi is 5 minutes up the road and is our weekly shop. Can only moan about the lack of certain branded products but it's cheap and cheerful. I love the no nonsense approach to the tills and hate other supermarkets when the checkout personnel dawdle. Oh, and pack using the packing shelf. Don't be that arsehole who attempts to pack at the till. 

Morrisons in second place for their hot food counter. 

Asda and Tesco are overpriced and the till service is so slow. Sainsbury's redeem themselves for having the fastest self scan checkouts.

I love doing the weekly shop but it all goes out of the window when I'm on holiday. Be glad to get back to work next week to save money.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, deathrey said:

On a slightly unrelated note, how does this work then? Does it literally add it to your shopping cart or just creates a list for you that you then add to your shopping cart?

Sadly not as sexy as it could be. It's two stages, anything barked at Google Home gets sent to shoppinglists.google.com (useful when I'm cooking or just noticing I've run out of something) then I transfer it to Tesco when I get a minute. Tesco has an API but it doesn't work with Google Home. Love it if it would though.

As cool as it sounds I'm not sure how it would work in real life. Just asking for 'sugar' - white sugar? Demerara? Icing? 500g? 1kg? Whitworths or Tate&Lyle? Same with bread or just about any other item. 

• Paid Members

Aldi and Asda for us - though the home delivery arm of the latter at my local store is absolutely fucking appalling*.

Even worse than that is their click and collect system (i.e. order everything online and have it ready in store for you to collect, via a parking bay). Admittedly a lazy thing to do anyway - after all if you’re driving all that way why not just spend the extra few minutes going round collecting your contraband? But the three times we’ve used it (once bitten, twice shy, three times eat shit and die) we’ve had to wait an age before someone has even answered the buzzer, and there’s always tons of shit missing. I thought the staff at the Norwich branch were slow as per my home county’s relaxed pace of life, but at least they were competent. The mouth-breathers working at the Old Kent Road store need a smack. 

*With sincerest apologies to the poster who’s other half works st Asda head office! 

The missus does a Lidl shop every Tuesday or Wednesday and it costs somewhere between £40 and £50 for the week for the three of us. Money wise, I think that's fantastic. The only extra thing we have to buy (I'm not counting nappies, wipes, etc) is lactose free milk from one of the bigger supermarkets but that's usually done in bulk. I think a big reason we do well with it is that I get free lunch with work everyday which obviously saves the pennies. 

Yeah Aldi's entire brioche range is heart attack inducing. I go for the sliced, toasted with shed loads of real but on. I could eat an entire loaf if the kids weren't so greedy, demanding breakfast every day and what not.

I did a Lidl shop last week but was really off put by the fact they didn't sell pickled onions and lack of refrigeration on most of the produce aisle.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, I worked for Tesco for near on 9 years, so the staff discount, and being able to pick bits up rather than do a full weekly shop, was perfect.

Now though, with things taking a turn, I'm a Lidl's man. I can fill a trolley for £40, stuff myself with off-brand Buenos and Kitkats, and occasionally come home with anything from the Aladdin's cave of the centre aisles.

That said, I will venture up the road to our Walmart Supacenter (formerly ASDA Hypermarket), if only for the huge range of World Foods, and the like.

Unless Tesco keep sending me £8 off £40...then it's online.

Fun fact I literally found out while researching this post - It's officially the "Middle of Lidl", not Aladdin's Cave

• Paid Members

We do our weekly shop online, usually Tesco, sometimes Amazon Fresh. We get all our meat, veg, fruit, cereals, milk, all that stuff in the weekly shop. Then I usually hit the Turkish shop on the corner on the way home from work for some Pepsi Max Cherry and Haribo strawberry straws. We worked out that during a span of about two and a half months, we'd spent nearly £2,000 in the cornershop. No wonder they like us so much.

• 2 years later...