Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

OLD AGE IN-LAWS CHIPPY TOUR 2024, pt 2

Went to Blackpool today and did a click n collect order at no extra cost from Yorkshire Fisheries for 11:45 slot, but was there for opening just after 11:30 to see all the builders getting their delightfully Northern late breakfasts/early lunches - sausage n chips, pie n chips all round. We ordered haddock and large chips again for her parents, curry sauce and tartare sauce (wife’s new thing) and Mrs raid convinced me, buoyed by successful experiments with hake, sea bass and lemon sole during the Fishymoon, that we should try the plaice. Plus I insisted on trying the “Smokey sausage.”

IMG_5132.thumb.jpeg.8926b4d2f9d4eaf2e5732d69b0627237.jpegIMG_5149.thumb.jpeg.91ca63a6d5df2318da1595855aa937f3.jpegIMG_5148.thumb.jpeg.1ad26c0a11054116a8f6c643cdb09de3.jpegIMG_5150.thumb.jpeg.fd3b1dedb9fd420d67457586c9926864.jpeg

Sausage looked like a chorizo, I expected to taste like saveloy, but wasn’t really either. Poland loved it, I thought it was OK. Chips had great flavour but I’d have liked them a little crispier. Curry was frutier than Barnacles the other day, the better half loved the tartare and it was probably the best I’ve tasted from a chippy. Plaice… wasn’t for me. It was clearly well cooked and fresh (great batter) but was the type of fish I think people who seriously love fish like, but it wasn’t right for a chippy casual like me. Am I glad I tried it? Yes, but we agreed we wouldn’t have it again. Her folks again loved the haddock. Not one of my top ten chippy visits ever, but better than any day with no chips at all, and £26 was very reasonable.

TBC

Edited by air_raid
Life in a Northern town…

• Paid Members

genuinely the happiest I've ever seen my Dad was when he went to a chippy in Jersey to pick up food for all the family that were visiting, and he returned with the biggest smile on his face after discovering they did scraps. 

• Paid Members

IMG_3322.thumb.jpeg.5680ee113f56f6ff4a1bfc8a00f6830a.jpeg

The latest “Scratch Special”, eaten on the beach about 5 minutes ago. If it didn’t harm my arteries or my bank account, I could eat this every day. Haddock was especially good today.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Those chips are paler than a gamer's leg.

Bad lighting I guess, they were truly immense.