Chippy Tea

Onyx2

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Took the youth to the Black Country Museum this morning so legally obligated to get beef dripping fish at chips at 11am

From where? Dudley borough is the family home, I'm there on Saturday.

42 minutes ago, air_raid said:

From where? Dudley borough is the family home, I'm there on Saturday.

just the one at the museum. There's two (the food is identical at both) and weirdly the one on the main street by the Bottle & Glass pub is always quieter than the one at the top, the bigger one that they filmed in for Stan and Ollie. That always has a huge queue by 12 o'clock.

Be ready to get annoyed by stupidly expensive chips but I actually like this old posh lad, he's far less of a snob than his accent would have you think and tries food from all price ranges and even fell in love with the Greggs vegan range.

• Paid Members

That's probably my favourite YouTube channel at the moment. He's very down to earth and unpretentious, I'd really like to try some of the restaurants/cafes he's reviewed (most of them are in or around London if anyone's interested). Seeing him try to manage a phall is good for a laugh.

• Paid Members

I've also been greatly enjoying Gary Eats lately - came up on my recommended videos and haven't stopped watching since. A very affable chap who makes very watchable videos and actually seems like a real person unlike, say, Rate My Takeaway who seems far more of an act. Actually find Gary's videos quite relaxing even having on in the background.  Glad to see others know about him!

He popped up in my recommends a few times too and I enjoyed them. He does seem down to earth and likeable. I think the first review of his I saw was a Wimpy and he gave it fair review.

On the other hand I fucking hate Rate My Takeaway. I blame Covid for his success.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I actually like this old posh lad, he's far less of a snob than his accent would have you think 

Jesus, you must be from a long line of half-rat sewer people to go on about how "posh" that completely ordinary bloke is.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I was at the family home yesterday, for (among other reasons) collecting Silver Vision tapes for our herbie, and that meant as ever a trip to Kings. Mother and partner had their usual mixed chicken/chicken tikka kebab meat with hot chilli and garlic mayo, bag of mixed chips for each couple. Mrs raid wanted a fish, and decided to go as ever for haddock, which it hadn’t crossed my mind would be available so instead of augmenting the order with curry sauce and a battered sausage as planned, last moment I threw on the “Kings Special” - mini cod, small sausage and chips with curry sauce, which I’ve been having since the days it cost a mere £1.60 (!). Plus on impulse a scallop because Mrs raid had never tried one - and gentle reader, this time it’s the truth, not a repeat of the battered sausage fiasco.

IMG_4857.thumb.jpeg.586f56fdd1d1cdf5c69e5c742669592d.jpegIMG_4859.thumb.jpeg.8370ed08fba61e1aa5c47d06d0bfea9d.jpegIMG_4860.thumb.jpeg.cac3b9739aef84d919c72ff2ba736028.jpegIMG_4863.thumb.jpeg.9175f683756394c118abd3b6901ec817.jpegIMG_4861.thumb.jpeg.358591b0b5c7e761aed25f2a163d396e.jpegIMG_4862.thumb.jpeg.8ce66a1c3a12e368d835aa17c7cd56f2.jpegIMG_4858.thumb.jpeg.990fcc196469462e0a1c218a4891ec93.jpeg

Nearly everything was excellent as always, except the scallop must have been sat out long because the underside batter had gone tough and chewy. Mrs raid insisted the cod was drier than the haddock but I’m still happy I had it…. really enjoyed my special. Sausages always taste the same and I’m convinced my school used to buy the same, and prices may have gone up but it was generous for a “mini cod.” £28 something for food for 4 that could have fed 6.

EDIT - we’ve got the Old Age In-laws coming in a few weeks, with both a week in Cornwall AND two nights in Paignton booked - hoping for a trip to either Rockfish in Brixham or Saltwater in Torquay.

Edited by air_raid
Fishy on a little dishy when the boat comes in

• Paid Members
On 7/10/2024 at 1:33 PM, Merzbow said:

Be ready to get annoyed by stupidly expensive chips...

I've only ever been by it on the weekend, but on a Saturday lunchtime the queue goes up the road for that place.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

On our way back from Morrison's at Scarborough on Monday might we just managed to catch a chippy before they closed. They ou had chips left, but they were delish. Cooked in beef dripping as well. They were reet gradely, as I believe the locals say. 

20240715_201325.JPG

Edited by Jazzy G
Always proofread when you're posting at 4am.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

just managed to catch a chippy before they shit.

UKFF on brand as ever.