Confusion in Wrestling

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members

As a kid, I could never understand why Gene Okerlund was nicknamed 'Mean'. In my eyes he was a little old bloke that just interviewed the Wrestlers. Nothing bad about him at all. Proper unfair label. 

How all the people Undertaker was burying at his funeral parlour were called 'RIP'. The only other time I'd heard  that name was in No Holds Barred. My tiny brain couldn't process that at all. 

Anyone else? 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I saw him wrestle or even knew of the profession he was named for, I assumed The Undertaker would take his opponents under the ring and do unspeakable things to them.

Which, now that I think about it, he actually did a few times later in his career, so everything's coming up Zeb.

• Paid Members

Watching Mania VI as I child I couldn't understand why everyone was cheering for Dusty and Sapphire cheating so much and at the finish. Or Duggan resorting to hitting his opponent with a plank. What a bastard.

• Paid Members

The one that springs to mind for me, was when Jim Ross made his announcing debut for WWF at 'Mania 9.

I wasn't used to either his announcing style or his thick Oklahoma accent, and whenever he proclaimed someone was going for a "high risk maneuver", I honestly thought he was saying"Irish Maneuver". Confused the hell out of me at the time...

Dean Malenko inexplicably becoming a bit of a lady killer overnight. I was 9, I'd just started watching and he was de facto the first abrupt gimmick change that I saw happen on TV. I just couldn't figure out why this previously mute guy who loved fights and looked a bit sneaky now had James Bond music. 

His tron is still amazing. I miss silly trons.

Among all these adjectives for him that appear on the screen, 'loveable' flashes up and then his head appears in a little circle. 

• Paid Members

I was always confused as to why a wrestler's net worth was announced as they walked down the aisle. I legit had no idea that 'pounds' was used a measurement of weight until I learnt about it at school way later than I should've done. Hence why whenever I played with my wrestling figures I'd announced them like, "Coming down the aisle...weighing in at one million pounds...Lex Luger!". 

• Paid Members

Why Beefcake wasn’t called Brutus the Gardener Beefcake.

I didn’t get why he carried a fucking huge set of hedge sheers about with him. What kind of hair is he cutting?

Then.... when he eventually did cut people’s hair, like Adonis & Ron Bass, he pulled out a tiny pair of toe nail scissors.

What a pure cock tease, click bait bell end.

Archived