Confusion in Wrestling

Bus Surfer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 hours ago, KingofSports said:

The original World of Sport wrestling - “Seconds out…Round 2”. For years, I thought was an odd way of monitoring time, as opposed to, will the weary looking geeks with the towel, bucket & sponge, get out of the ring.

I‘m fairly certain I’ve heard announcements made at shows (where the wrestlers didn’t have seconds) of “seconds AWAY, round two”.

So either they continued to misunderstand it, or deliberately corrupted it!

7 minutes ago, Statto said:

I‘m fairly certain I’ve heard announcements made at shows (where the wrestlers didn’t have seconds) of “seconds AWAY, round two”.

So either they continued to misunderstand it, or deliberately corrupted it!

Thinking on, it may well have been "away", possibly both. Even now, I'm only assuming it did actually refer to the bucket guys. Took me about 5 years to come to that conclusion, either way.

17 hours ago, Pinc said:

Did Sheamus used to shout "Fella!" as he came down the aisle, or was he shouting an Irish word that sounded similar?

Because if he was just shouting 'Fella', that's a confusing thing to shout.

He's actually shouting "Faugh A Ballagh". Though they don't tend to catch the whole lot so I too thought it was "Fella" for ages.

58 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

He's actually shouting "Faugh A Ballagh". Though they don't tend to catch the whole lot so I too thought it was "Fella" for ages.

That's what he shouts these days, and to his credit it's much less confusing, but back when he had his old music he did in fact shout 'Fella'. I even found a tweet from 2014 where he confirms it himself.

A very confusing thing to shout.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, KingofSports said:

Thinking on, it may well have been "away", possibly both. Even now, I'm only assuming it did actually refer to the bucket guys. Took me about 5 years to come to that conclusion, either way.

Old WoS, and boxing, use the "seconds out" announcement - which are you rightly state, means "anyone who isn't competing, please get out of the ring so we can start again".

I've seen wrestling where there haven't been any seconds use the announcement "seconds away", presumably meaning "the next round is only seconds away from starting". Which I assume is either a misinterpretation or a deliberate corruption of the 'proper' announcement.

22 hours ago, Supremo said:

I still don’t know why Undertaker murdered Paul Bearer by burying him in cement.

Are you telling me you've never killed a half-sibling's parent to prevent your enemies from exploiting your fear for their safety as a weakness?

That must be why people don't burst into cheers when you enter the room.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Are you telling me you've never killed a half-sibling's parent to prevent your enemies from exploiting your fear for their safety as a weakness?

That must be why people don't burst into cheers when you enter the room.

In fairness, I still haven't a clue how anyone could 'kill' their own manager and yet it isn't even considered to be a heel turn!

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Mr.Showtime said:

For the longest time I'd never seen Vince McMahon's name written down or on the screen, I didn't know what it was, and as a kid it never occured to me that Americans could have "Mc" in their last name. So each time Ventura or whoever said "McMahon!" I thought they were saying "Big Man", but in some weird Yankee slang I didn't understand...

I was similar, but I heard it as more like 'MacMan', which I took as being an American accented 'Mic Man', as in 'Microphone Man' - which I thought referring to his commentary job. He was the microphone man.

Archived