Confusion in Wrestling

Bus Surfer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The talk of "Patented Moves" confused me. I took it completely seriously and thought, like, Jake had gone to the patent office and filed some paperwork so that no one else could use the DDT. It made perfect sense to me because, otherwise, why wouldn't everybody do it? I was dumbfounded when Jannetty used it against Michaels at the '93 Royal Rumble. The fact that it wasn't even a finish just added to it.

The stupidest thing I've been confused by was Vince as a Commentator. I didn't have Sky so the vast majority of my WWF viewing came from Silvervision videos. Vince wasn't the Commentator on the PPV videos I had which meant I only ever heard him on compilation videos with no context about who was commentating. Thanks to his....odd style, particularly the way his voice would snap from totally manic to completely calm,Ā it took me ages to work out whether VinceĀ was one person or several.

• Paid Members

@unfitfinlay Finishers just not being finishers when other people did them absolutely blew my mind as a kid. I assumed a big finisher was a big finisher forever. When Owen gave Bret a Tombstone at Mania X and didn't immediately pin him, my world didn't make sense.

22 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

it took me ages to work out whether VinceĀ was one person or several.

Some of us are still working on that one.

• Paid Members
On 8/25/2018 at 11:03 PM, SpiritOfTheForest said:

After being questioned by my parents and his teacher, it emerged he had been watching too much WWF, in particular Tazz. He'dĀ actually been trying to call his classmate a "thug" (a word Tazz would regularly use at the time) only with his elementary diction it came out "fuck". After discovering this misunderstanding, my parents thought it was hilarious. I'd like to thank this thread for reminding me of this ridiculous memory.

I once worked a "family-friendly" show, after which a parent complained in very strong terms to the venue's entertainment manager, because a heel manager called someone a "thug" in his Danny Dyer voice, and she'd misheard it.

Ā 

I think I've mentioned before, but a friend of mine (now a wrestler) thought, from watching early '90s WCW names, that Brian Pillman's ring name wasn't "Flyin' Brian", but was in fact, "Brian Brian".

I'm another one who didn't figure out the Paul Bearer joke until I was probably in my late teens.

I had a mate at school who, despite being the same age as me and having watched wrestling at the same time as me, used to pronounce "Suplex" as "Su-play", like he was Gordon fucking Solie, and I have no idea where he got that from.

Ā 

I first started watching wrestling as a kid around '93/'94, not long after Hogan had left the WWF. The only wrestlers I'd heard of were Hulk Hogan, Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. I knew that Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks were British, and I think I weirdly got it into my head that Hogan must be English as well, because I'd heard of him, but he wasn't in the WWF stuff I was watching. So, by extension, I think maybe I assumed WCW was British, and that all the wrestlers I'd heard of, and who my Dad talked about (old World of Sport types) must work there?

• Paid Members

I can't figure out a time during his wrestling fandom in which he'd have heard Gordon Solie. He was a mid-90s to Attitude Era fan, and I'm not sure he ever really bothered with WCW, even if his wrestling viewing did skew earlier than I'm guessing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 8/28/2018 at 4:14 PM, BomberPat said:

I had a mate at school who, despite being the same age as me and having watched wrestling at the same time as me, used to pronounce "Suplex" as "Su-play", like he was Gordon fucking Solie, and I have no idea where he got that from.

Solie was doing commentary for NJPW shows on Eurosport in the early to mid 90s, so it could well be from there.Ā 

Its where Iā€™d first heard him as my WCW viewing mostly came with German commentary thanks to DSF.Ā 

I could never quite work out exactly how the atomic drop/inverted atomic drop hurt.

I figured it was like a knee to the arse but the wrestlers I would see taking it never seemed to hold their arse and the commentators never really explained how the move hurt. In the inverted move I figured it was like a knee to the balls but knew that was illegal.

It just seemed like an odd move.Ā 

• Paid Members

Ā 

5 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I could never quite work out exactly how the atomic drop/inverted atomic drop hurt.

I figured it was like a knee to the arse but the wrestlers I would see taking it never seemed to hold their arse and the commentators never really explained how the move hurt. In the inverted move I figured it was like a knee to the balls but knew that was illegal.

It just seemed like an odd move.Ā 

I always hated the atomic drop, I just looked it up to see what the actual explanation was and the picture they used to illustrate it was an interesting choiceĀ 

http://prowrestling.wikia.comļ»æ/wikiļ»æ/Atomic_Drļ»æoļ»æp

Ā 

Archived