Confusion in Wrestling

Bus Surfer

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Did Sheamus usedĀ to shout "Fella!" as he came down the aisle, or was he shouting an Irish word that sounded similar?

Because if he was just shouting 'Fella', that's a confusing thing to shout.

I always thought that's what he shouted as well, so you aren't alone there Pinc.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I went on holiday to Florida at the beginning of May 2002. When I left, it was the WWF. When I watched RAW on (I think) TNN the next Monday in real time~! the scratch logo was missing the ā€œFā€ bit. My mum asked me if it was ā€œjust ā€˜WWā€™ now?ā€ and I genuinely couldnā€™t answer her as I didnā€™t know about it renaming to WWE.

But on that front, I donā€™t understand why the scratch WWE logo was just two ā€˜Wā€™s, and why it still is when they stylised to coincide with the WWE Network launch.

• Paid Members

Not really confusion because I just assumed it was a name but it didn't click that Paul Bearer was a takeĀ on Pallbearer until I was about 28.

Edit* didn't realise Hannibal posted the same thing on page 1 šŸ˜‚

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

The one that springs to mind for me, was when Jim Ross made his announcing debut for WWF at 'Mania 9.

I wasn't used to either his announcing style or his thick Oklahoma accent, and whenever he proclaimed someone was going for a "high risk maneuver", I honestly thought he was saying"Irish Maneuver". Confused the hell out of me at the time...

Sticking to the WM9 theme, I remember asking my Dad what a 'slobberknocker' was, thinking it was a boxing term or something. Unsurprisingly he didn't have a fucking clue.

For some reason, as WM9 was the first PPV I'd ever watched 'live', I'd got it into my head that all PPV's would be held outdoors from then on in. I was pissed off when King of the Ring was held in a boring old arena like all the other shows.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, GPW Kristian Zane said:

John Cena challenging Rey Mysterio for the WWE Title immediately after Rey won it.

What a babyface, right?

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

I still donā€™t know why Undertaker murdered Paul Bearer by burying him in cement.

For that matter, who brought him.back to life??

2 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I went on holiday to Florida at the beginning of May 2002. When I left, it was the WWF. When I watched RAW on (I think) TNN the next Monday in real time~! the scratch logo was missing the ā€œFā€ bit. My mum asked me if it was ā€œjust ā€˜WWā€™ now?ā€ and I genuinely couldnā€™t answer her as I didnā€™t know about it renaming to WWE.

But on that front, I donā€™t understand why the scratch WWE logo was just two ā€˜Wā€™s, and why it still is when they stylised to coincide with the WWE Network launch.

I remember Sky used to have Smackdown as WWFE Smackdown sometimes on their EPG so when I saw it as WWE I just assumed there'd been a typo. It seemed really odd and shocking as a kidĀ not knowing anything about it in the build up and it suddenly changing.

• Paid Members

I suppose I speak for all of us when the WWF wheeled out ā€˜celebritiesā€™Ā in the mid 90ā€™s, after the money to attract proper A-listers had run out, it was a case of ā€œWho the fuck are you?ā€

Even the marquee big name for Wrestlemania 11, Lawrence Taylor, meant the square root of fuck all to 90% of peopleĀ living outside of north America.

Iā€™d have shown more interest in Bobby Davro or Bob Carolgees topping the bill.

Half the time I just took the WWFā€™s word that whoever they wheeled out were meant to be famous.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I suppose I speak for all of us when the WWF wheeled out ā€˜celebritiesā€™Ā in the mid 90ā€™s, after the money to attract proper A-listers had run out, it was a case of ā€œWho the fuck are you?ā€

Even the marquee big name for Wrestlemania 11, Lawrence Taylor, meant the square root of fuck all to 90% of peopleĀ living outside of north America.

Iā€™d have shown more interest in Bobby Davro or Bob Carolgees topping the bill.

Half the time I just took the WWFā€™s word that whoever they wheeled out were meant to be famous.

See, itā€™s the opposite for me. Because of WWE, I know the names of random U.S. celebs like Pete Rose and Drew Carey.Ā 

For the longest time I'd never seen Vince McMahon's name written down or on the screen, I didn't know what it was, and as a kid it never occured to me that Americans could have "Mc" in their last name. So each time Ventura or whoever said "McMahon!" I thought they were saying "Big Man", but in some weird YankeeĀ slang I didn't understand...

The original World of Sport wrestling - ā€œSeconds outā€¦Round 2ā€. For years, I thought was an odd way of monitoring time, as opposed to, will the weary looking geeks with the towel, bucket & sponge, get out of the ring. This would often be shown around the same time as horseracing on BBC1 with the unfathomable ā€œwritten byā€, which of course was ridden by.

Archived