Post An Unpopular Opinion

Keith Houchen

Clarify please. Do you mean the 3 part special from last Christmas was awful, or that the 17 year old series has aged badly? I mean you're wrong either way but good to be sure of which you're wrong about.

6 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Clarify please. Do you mean the 3 part special from last Christmas was awful, or that the 17 year old series has aged badly? I mean you're wrong either way but good to be sure of which you're wrong about.

I mean only the first series was good (and it was very good to be fair). I remember the series going downhill fast after that and I didn’t like the film at the time either. I also saw the first episode from the latest series and didn’t see any improvement. The series stopped entertaining me and didn’t make me laugh anymore. 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, waters44 said:

Almost scared to post this one....

The Tim Burton Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is far superior to the original 

Burtons is more faithful to the book, but the Oompahs and Wonka are superior in the original. Frankly I hope Netflix get it right in their adaptation 

7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Burtons is more faithful to the book, but the Oompahs and Wonka are superior in the original. Frankly I hope Netflix get it right in their adaptation 

I must have missed the bits in the book about Wonka’s childhood and the Oompah Loompah origin story. It has been decades since I read it though so I could be wrong. 

Edited by wordsfromlee

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I must have missed the bits in the book about Wonka’s childhood and the Oompah Loompah origin story. It has been decades since I read it though so I could be wrong. 

I said more faithful. Wonka’s childhood was new for the film, but he does talk about the origins of the Oompah’s in the book I’m almost certain 

• Paid Members

Lots of authors do that, though. Stephen King hated The Shining (although he had good reason, as there were personal issues tied up in that), and merely announcing the cinematisation of any Alan Moore work is 100% guaranteed to draw his ire.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Lots of authors do that, though. Stephen King hated The Shining (although he had good reason, as there were personal issues tied up in that)

I've never bought that reason and I'm still not. King has always been a terrible judge of adaptations of his own work. He absolutely does not understand cinema at all.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Here's one then. The Shining is fucking boring. I appreciate it for its artistic merits but it's a bloody slog.

That’s how I felt about Alien. I like Shining as a work of art but do not find it scary in the slightest. Same with The Exorcist 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I've never bought that reason and I'm still not. King has always been a terrible judge of adaptations of his own work. He absolutely does not understand cinema at all.

Would you mind elaborating on that viewpoint? Genuinely interested, as whilst I personally like the film, I could also see why his emotional investment in the book might cause him to react badly to the film's divergence at the time. I'd definitely welcome another perspective on that.

53 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He is also a terrible writer.