• Paid Members

DOUBLE POST KLAXON, ALERT KOOL KEITH

Dortmund have spent a similar amount they received for Pulisic (who was kept out of the starting XI last season by Sancho) on three players- left back Nico Schulz and wingers/forwards Thorgan Hazard & Julian Brandt. Brandt only cost €25m, that's a steal. Imagine if English clubs were able to get their business done this early rather getting into a blind panic on deadline day like a bunch of amateurs.

• Paid Members
On 5/22/2019 at 9:21 AM, tiger_rick said:

Dunno how I have no memory of this but Old School Panini posted a pic yesterday of a Fiorentina side featuring Batistuta, Brian Laudrup and Steffen Effenburg that got relegated! 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992–93_Serie_A

Brian Laudrup only really turned it on at Rangers (and Denmark) though. Got rid of him quick smart everywhere else he went.

I miss the old Cup Winners Cup too. It would be shit now, but still, memories and all that. I still love reading about it.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

2 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Brian Laudrup only really turned it on at Rangers (and Denmark) though. Got rid of him quick smart everywhere else he went.

I miss the old Cup Winners Cup too. It would be shit now, but still, memories and all that. I still love reading about it.

The These Football Times podcast did an excellent episode on the CWC. Well worth checking out

• Paid Members

Zlatan Ibrahimović (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈslaːtan ɪbraˈhiːmʊvɪtɕ], Bosnian: [zlǎtan ibraxǐːmoʋitɕ]; born 3 October 1981) is a Swedish professional footballer who plays as a forward for LA Galaxy. Primarily a striker, he is a prolific goalscorer, who is best known for his technique, creativity, strength, ability in the air, and his powerful and accurate striking ability. He is currently the third-most decorated active footballer in the world,[note 1] having won 31 trophies in his career.[5] He has scored over 520 senior career goals for club and country.[6]

• Paid Members

I'm still having a 4 year argument with my West Ham supporting mate, who insists that Andy Carroll would've been better than Zlatan if he remained injury free. I mean, where the fuck do you even begin with that?

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

I'm still having a 4 year argument with my West Ham supporting mate, who insists that Andy Carroll would've been better than Zlatan if he remained injury free. I mean, where the fuck do you even begin with that?

Yeah that  is lunacy, however i was having a conversation about Carroll with somebody last week and i think he's a very very unrated striker, but his injury record is just atrocious, a fully fit Carroll in a side with a winger who could actually cross a ball (which seems to be disappearing from football in general) would get you 25/30 a season i'm convinced

Edited by The British Bushwacker

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, The British Bushwacker said:

Yeah that  is lunacy, however i was having a conversation about Carroll with somebody last week and i think he's a very very unrated striker, but his injury record is just atrocious, a fully fit Carroll in a side with a winger who could actually cross a ball (which seems to be disappearing from football in general) would get you 25/30 a season i'm convinced

He got over 20 in that first full season with Newcastle didn't he? I was convinced he was going to be a massive star at that point, but injuries stopped him becoming a top level striker (not Zlatan level obviously, but certainly pretty good).

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, mim731 said:

He got over 20 in that first full season with Newcastle didn't he?

Nope. He managed 19 in all competitions when they were in the Championship but his best in the Premier League is 13 (both PL and all competitions), when he scored 11 for Newcastle and then 2 for Liverpool after his transfer.

• Paid Members

Nope. He managed 19 in all competitions when they were in the Championship but his best in the Premier League is 13 (both PL and all competitions), when he scored 11 for Newcastle and then 2 for Liverpool after his transfer.

13 is an incredible return from a guy who starts 4 matches a season.

Carroll is wasted potential. Clearly a laughable argument that he's better than Zlatan but a striker like him seems to be a dying breed at the top level and he's very good at what he does. He's outstanding in the air in both boxes and has really under-rated technical ability. He's scared of nothing. The irony being that he'd run through a brick wall but then trip over a kerb and be out for 6 months.

I'll never not hear his name and think of this goal. One of my favourite ever headers and I fucking love a header. Apart from Rudd Gullit in the '88 Euro Final which is clearly the best header of all time (shut it, Keith), I'm having a hard time thinking of a better one. Just the angle of the ball coming in and the skill and neck muscle required to head it powerfully at that angle in that direction and into the ground. It's both text book and so unusual that it's never going to be in any text book. And in a major tournament too. Great stuff.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Bloody hell. I was convinced it was more than that but I was miles off.