Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I'm baffled by the result in that poll regarding Everton fans. Can anyone give any background as to why so many more of them would back Leave than Liverpool fans? 

Am I right in thinking that an Everton/Liverpool supporter split is ideologically similar to Rangers/Celtic, with the Rangers fanbase predominantly being staunch pro-Britain protestants? I'm sure I read the Everton and Liverpool fanbases are similar in that respect. If so, that might at least explain some of the difference in Brexit views, if Everton fans are more likely to be patriotic.

Everton fans (the shit ones) always bleat on about our "oot" supporters and rip us about our big Norwegian following although I'm not sure that represents politics more than it just being straw grasping. Is it based on supporters in the city or just supporters in general? 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Am I right in thinking that an Everton/Liverpool supporter split is ideologically similar to Rangers/Celtic, with the Rangers fanbase predominantly being staunch pro-Britain protestants? I'm sure I read the Everton and Liverpool fanbases are similar in that respect. If so, that might at least explain some of the difference in Brexit views, if Everton fans are more likely to be patriotic.

When I was young I was once told that a long time ago most Everton supporters in the city were from Catholic, mainly Irish, residents while Liverpool were supported by Protestants, i particular those from Scotland that came down to work. But for the last few decades Liverpool have had a strong Irish following and there's never been any controversy when they've signed anyone known or thought to be a Catholic, while I've also never heard of the reverse happening with Everton. So these days that excuse is definitely bollocks. The perceived gap in Everton and Liverpool supporters on their Brexit views is very odd looking especially when you consider how physically close Anfield and Goodison Park are. I do remember reading in the aftermath of the vote that they reckoned the constituencies in the city which overall saw Liverpool vote remain, as opposed to the likes of other grim, run down northern English cities like Sunderland and Grimsby, was that since few people in the city buy The Sun thanks to the boycott since Hillsboro, it hadn't poisoned the minds of voters there/

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I’d also consider that Everton fans are more likely to be local to the area, whereas Liverpool’s fan base will include more people from across the country.

That's what makes it weirder though, surely? Liverpool, as expected, was quite strongly in favour of Remain. So why would Everton fans be 50/50 on it if they're mostly from the city?

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I’d also consider that Everton fans are more likely to be local to the area, whereas Liverpool’s fan base will include more people from across the country.

Liverpool as a city had quite the EU stance.

• Paid Members

It's probably akin to being at Goodison really, Stavo. The fans these days genuinely don't know what they want or what they're supposedly doing there at the best of times.
Take the Everton fans' opinion of Seamus Coleman for example. Two weeks ago, he was unanimously our greatest hero. A pillar of strength and passion. Captain Fantastic. 
After Sunday he's deemed past it - and a cunt - by the same people that adored him before kick off.

That Brexit question might have been asked by one surveyor to Gary from Netherfield Road before he went the shops and his answer was "leave". Gary could have seen his missus talk to a man of differing ethnicity and changed his mind to "Remain" on the way back when asked by a different surveyor.

Just a quick heads up for those of you who may (or may not) have seen Bands F.C. at any point recently, they're currently running a 24hr offer on the rather beautiful Pulp-inspired Sheffield Wednesday style shirt below. The cost is £50 with £7 delivery but all proceeds go to Sheffield Children's Hospital, a truly fantastic cause that I have personal experience of when our son was there shortly after he was born, so it'd be fantastic to see them sell well. They're being made to order (sizings on the Twitter linked above) and whether you're a Wednesday fan like me, a Pulp fan or simply keen on an interesting bit of memorabilia, you could certainly do far worse than throw your cash towards this.

zKuEM5i.jpg img%5D

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Just a quick heads up for those of you who may (or may not) have seen Bands F.C. at any point recently, they're currently running a 24hr offer on the rather beautiful Pulp-inspired Sheffield Wednesday style shirt below. The cost is £50 with £7 delivery but all proceeds go to Sheffield Children's Hospital, a truly fantastic cause that I have personal experience of when our son was there shortly after he was born, so it'd be fantastic to see them sell well. They're being made to order (sizings on the Twitter linked above) and whether you're a Wednesday fan like me, a Pulp fan or simply keen on an interesting bit of memorabilia, you could certainly do far worse than throw your cash towards this.

zKuEM5i.jpg img%5D

It's a good cause, but there isn't a charity out there could make be buy and wear anything inspired by any Sheffield club...