Paul Hardcastle's Domestic Football 18/nuh nuh nuh 19

PowerButchi

Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Liked how that link said how much he does the Robben thing of cutting inside to his left foot, exactly what he did for his second against Everton.

Now that he's fit (and hopefully stays fit) he should be a cracking player for the Hammers, and another good addition to the Prem in general.

4 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Nah. He returned from injury in April and played in most of Dortmund's final Bundesliga fixtures. He played in both of Ukraine's international games in May/June and most of West Ham's pre season games as well.

Only played in two of Dortmund’s last twelve games. Didn’t play more than 20 minutes in each game.

You’re right about the latter though.

• Paid Members

Durham is a professional troll, his opinion changes to suit the necessity to enrage people to call in and call him a cunt. He's doing his job, barring his somewhat deep rooted hatred for all that is Tottenham Hotspurs.

The morning lot are abhorrent as is Jim 'I know Sir Alex' White (Jordan and Mills are decent though), I loathe Dean Saunders as it is but when he's around Brazil I just want to murder him. They have XPac heat.

Edited by Teedy Kay

Not having a dog in the fight this year, I really enjoyed watching the BT Champions League Goals show in the company of James Richardson and assorted foreign pundits last night. Highly recommended if you want to take in all the action and way less Gammon than Sky's Soccer Saturday. 

28 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Not having a dog in the fight this year, I really enjoyed watching the BT Champions League Goals show in the company of James Richardson and assorted foreign pundits last night. Highly recommended if you want to take in all the action and way less Gammon than Sky's Soccer Saturday. 

I watched this last year when there wasn't many interesting games and really enjoyed it. Has the european (I know it goes without saying) feel to it in that its mature football talk rather than the screaming, shouting & silly catchphrases ("It's hit the beans on toast Jeff") you get on Soccer Saturday.

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members

Plus, they actually know what they're talking about. You get the feeling the Sky Sports Saturday lot spend little to no time watching or following football unless they're paid to do so. For ex-footballers their knowledge of those playing the game today is limited. They're like twats down the pub that watch an hour of MOTD every week and think they have everything sussed. The likes of Rafa, Horncastle and Laurens know their shit because they love watching and studying football all the time. It's more than work for them.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Mr_Danger said:

Have any of them played the game at the highest level though? Not like Merse and Champaigne Charlie.

I wonder how much of it is a generational thing. I was watching The Debate on Sky Sports last week and you had Merse and Craig Bellamy on. Bellamy was a very good guest I thought, and you could tell he was getting frustrated with having to put up with Merse's 'back page of the The Sun' generic cliche opinions that exposes him as somebody that actually doesn't watch the games. Then I start to wonder how the fuck did somebody like him not only make it as a pro, but also do pretty well for himself (he was very good for us). Shit English league at the time I suppose.

Bellamy has always talked well when I've caught him on something. 

I think it's more of a case of Sky catering to it's core audience demo who are the people who seek out those headline types anyway. John Barnes is of that generation and he always talks well. Even Ian Wright has evolved as a pundit. He's better than Danny Murphy at least.

7 hours ago, PunkStep said:

I wonder how much of it is a generational thing. I was watching The Debate on Sky Sports last week and you had Merse and Craig Bellamy on. Bellamy was a very good guest I thought, and you could tell he was getting frustrated with having to put up with Merse's 'back page of the The Sun' generic cliche opinions that exposes him as somebody that actually doesn't watch the games. Then I start to wonder how the fuck did somebody like him not only make it as a pro, but also do pretty well for himself (he was very good for us). Shit English league at the time I suppose.

It's been probably well over a decade since I watched the Arse 96/97 season review, but the one thing that sticks in memory was just how good Merson was that year. As you say, everyone else was still crap 90's (apart from Man U), but I just remember being shocked because of a) how good he was, and b) that we sold him that summer. I know it worked out alright the next season, but still. I suppose if it was him or Overmars...

Terrible pundit, though, aye. 

• Paid Members

Ian Wright is solid nowadays. Cliche-ridden, but at least affable with it, whereas Merson plays a caricature of himself at this point.

It's slim pickings though for ex-pros who I like as pundits, especially on the Beeb. I get genuinely angry whenever I have to hear Danny Murphy, Phil Neville or Chris Sutton on anything. Jermaine Jenus comes across as a whiny 5 year old. 

I'm pretty certain none of the Soccer Saturday lot watch football outside of the studio apart from Tis and Stelling. Alan Brazil levels of contempt for your profession.