BritWres Pests

tiger_rick

1 minute ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Any daft bollock can call himself a promoter by hiring a ring and emailing a few lads and lasses on a forum asking them to work for a fiver.

Any other daft bollock can wear a vest and pants, reply to that email saying “aye go on then” and call themselves a wrestler.

If by bringing in tighter rules, licenses and regulation for promoters and wrestlers means that some of these knackers find themselves not performing in front of 8 people in a WMC on a Sunday afternoon... that’s sound with me.

More to the point, If that is the consequence of doing ‘something’ to try and safeguard kids and potentially vulnerable people, again.. sound with me.

All very good points but back to my ORIGINAL point...

What if you are a promoter who has a)never done any wrong doing and b)Nobody in your promotion has done any wrong doing but then find yourself having your shows cancelled by the venues because of the actions? The trend seems to be 'If you are in the wrestling business then you are guilty of wrong doing'.Most of guys in the business would pass a CRB check with flying colors.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

What if you are a promoter who has a)never done any wrong doing and b)Nobody in your promotion has done any wrong doing but then find yourself having your shows cancelled by the venues because of the actions? The trend seems to be 'If you are in the wrestling business then you are guilty of wrong doing'.Most of guys in the business would pass a CRB check with flying colors.

Is there a single bit of evidence of that happening?

None of this is making waves outside of a very small section of the industry itself, which is effectively caught up in an argument about how best to self-police. It's not making headlines, it's not garnering any attention outside of that to lead to venues getting wind of it and cancelling shows, that I know of.

• Paid Members

They wouldn't because there hasn't been a CRB check for over 5 years. Its a DBS, it's similar but not the same. 

And in response to your original post. If there was a legal framework for wrestling and the promoter you are talking about complied with it then he would be able to show that evidence to the venue and there wouldn't be a problem. 

It's only if these whiter than white promoters you know do something about it that things will change, as like I said the chances of the law been enforced are slim. 

5 hours ago, theringmaster said:

I even saw a blog post doing the rounds demanding that at every show there is a designated 'safe place' for fans to go to if they feel 'threatened', I have been to HUNDREDS of shows in my life from happy clappy family friendly to extreme adult shows and I have never felt threatened, nor have i ever known anybody feel unsafe.

Going to take a punt on this and guess that you are male?

You can do all the checks In the world, but given none of the accused so far have prior convictions they won’t have helped here. It may prove to be a detterant. 

Re the safe space, surely that’s telling security if someone is acting up to you? I can’t see how that would work at all. Not against it, but just seems highly impractical . Can’t have measures in place for every single eventuality at every show for any problem.

Our group at shows is me , another guy, and then a revolving group of female friends mostly. I have seen, heard and been told about all kinds of abuse from both sexes on both sexes. And a lot of stuff made up about people as well. Problems are on both sides of the barriers. Wrestling seems to attract a lot of wrong uns.

• Paid Members

I just don't see what bringing in CRB checks can hurt really, barring an additional cost to the promoter or performer(depending on the size of said promotion).

Personally, if I were to promote a show, I'd see the additional cost as a decent investment as I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I found out someone was abused/taken advantage of while under my employ.  

• Paid Members

About ÂŁ40 I think, it was that around 8 years ago and I had to pay when signing up with an agency. Since then (not agent work) my employers pay for it as part of recruitment.

Wrestlers are technically independent contractors, so should in theory pay for their own. Regardless of who pays for it, it’s insignificant in the scheme of things. Kids potential safety shouldn’t even be fucking questioned. This discussion is ridiculous. 

Anyway.. What it does do (business wise) is send out a message to the wrestling world that you take this shit seriously, and may in turn receive more bookings, or at least, recognition from news sites etc... positive publicity.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

About ÂŁ40 I think, it was that around 8 years ago and I had to pay when signing up with an agency. Since then (not agent work) my employers pay for it as part of recruitment.

Wrestlers are technically independent contractors, so should in theory pay for their own. Regardless of who pays for it, it’s insignificant in the scheme of things. Kids potential safety shouldn’t even be fucking questioned. This discussion is ridiculous. 

Anyway.. What it does do (business wise) is send out a message to the wrestling world that you take this shit seriously, and may in turn receive more bookings, or at least, recognition from news sites etc... positive publicity.

Exactly this!

But if the promoters want a business reason(as if safeguarding kids and women isn't enough), the "American Style Werstling and holiday camp companies can plaster the fact all their performers are background checked on their posters, which help me as a parent decide if I should take my kids to see them.

You can’t just have one check you take everywhere. I used to have one done from 18 onwards as I lived at home and my parents fostered. But needed a separate one done for work 

plastering “ all our performers are checked” on posters makes it sound even sleazier than what has come out already. What other forms of entertainment show that? Issue is in training, not from shows themselves 

23 minutes ago, Louch said:

plastering “ all our performers are checked” on posters makes it sound even sleazier than what has come out already.

You're right, saying you are nonce free is certainly worse than sexual abuse.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Louch said:

You can’t just have one check you take everywhere.

You can to a degree, now - the DBS Update Service (ÂŁ13 per year subscription) allows you to take your certificate with you to a new employer, employers can log in to an online portal & check your DBS status etc.

However, it doesn't account for a) having an adult workforce certificate & needing a child workforce certificate (or vice versa) or b) if you have a standard certificate and a different workplace requires you to have an enhanced one.

• Paid Members

Ultimately, this world is, whether people like it or not, moving into a new era. This is a period of social and political change, and it'll probably be volatile for a few more years, at the end of which, when the dust settles, the way people behave and work will never be the same again[/Jericho]. This will include the wrestling business. I'm pretty certain the business now is nothing like the business from the 70s and 80s, US or UK. There will be new practices and requirements, and wrestlers and promoters are going to have to face up to the simple fact that things may very likely have to be done differently in future. The internet has made the broadcast of information not only easier, but more accessible to ordinary people instead of the traditional cultural gatekeepers who arbitrarily decided what was worth reporting and what was beneath public attention. Sex pests and rapists no longer have the protection of their contemporaries closing ranks.

In short: evolve or die.