The Celebrity Sexual Harassment and Rapists Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Mum.  Who’s the bloke they are all talking about on that documentary tonight?

Me.  It’s Russell Brand.

Mum.  Oh that’s dreadful.  Used to love him when he read the stars on TVAM…..

I believe everything the women said and I feel for women who have been assaulted by him who haven’t come forward and this whole thing will open wounds and force them to revisit trauma. I hope they all get the justice they deserve. 

I also believe the programme was presented as tabloid sensationalist bullshit.

People will always say we'll why didn't they go to police. The documentary showed why, fear of losing their job, fear of legal action and NDAs. 

I never liked him, always just came across as shit shock humour, so never saw his stand up routines.  They reminded me of Bill Cosby talking about Spanish fly. It was just creepy seeing those clips.

A big problem is he's now pretty much untouchable. He makes his money as a wellness and conspiracy theory YouTuber with millions of subscribers and billions of views. His cult will follow and support him. He needed to be stopped years ago but sadly various channels and production companies enabled him to get to this point by ignoring him.

Edited by westlondonmist

Not to diminish Brand’s actions at all (what an awful, narcissistic bastard) but a lot of those stories about being behind the scene on large tv shows, I imagine being depressingly typical.  We know about Savile behaving like this on Totp back in the day but you have to think there was a LOT of this - famous men on tv using their fame to manipulate young women into sexism encounters.

Notes to audience members, runners treated like sexual objects - I’ve heard stories about this sort of stuff for years.  

Anyone who thinks it’s ok to grope women or drop their trousers in front of women live on tv should have made alarm bells ring in any era of tv though right?  Mad footage.

Edit: @Keith Houchen the style of the show was AWFUL, we found it deeply uncomfortable.  Is that how serious documentaries are done nowadays?  Wtf was with the vhs style shots of the young girl in the grass?  Very odd and inappropriate.

Edited by Loki

12 minutes ago, Loki said:

Edit: @Keith Houchen the style of the show was AWFUL, we found it deeply uncomfortable.  Is that how serious documentaries are done nowadays?  Wtf was with the vhs style shots of the young girl in the grass?  Very odd and inappropriate.

Yeah I do get the impression that the whole things isn’t about justice, it’s about going after Brand. The survivors are inconsequential. 

I mean, are they seriously insinuating that Brand was prepared to make his assistant go naked to see Savile? Instead of it being an attempt at humour. The way they had a low sinister synth note to add to the evil throughout was awful. As was the way they kept making out the BBC were complicit, hardly surprising from a Murdoch rag. 

I hated the way they made it clear that the testimonies were delivered by actors but went to lengths to disguise said actors to give gravitas to the words. Pretty pathetic stuff. Not to mention Fleet Street knew all about Nick Cohen for decades and said fuck all. 

Tl:dr Brand is a predatory manipulator and this show was shit. 

I don't think they were insinuating that he would have, but it's actions that could have made a female employee feel very uncomfortable. I think it was to show he's a cunt and that rather than say Saville was a creepy bsstard he joined in on Saville's "joke".

I've seen other documentaries where actors are still faded out. I think that's quite normal now. 

How many documentaries about past crimes are actually about justice? I'm sure they exist but in general they are about views. I think it was fine, it gave a decent account I thought.

12 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I've woken up today and I am really in a sad sad mood from the offset. Me and my fiance were talking last night and she said if it's going to bring you into a bad place don't watch it.    How could I possibly do that it would make me feel even worse not watching and being in that camp of its all lies ext. I just feel fucking deflated and numb that this is happening with someone who literally saved my life two years ago...... 

I just feel like not trusting anyone again because it seems everyone fucking let's you down and has a fucking hidden agenda 

It’s not about you, Christ!

Anyway, it’s already unavailable on All4. I asked my boss who’s a solicitor by trade if that’s be for legal reasons and he said “Dunno”, which was a great help.

Edited by Butch2000

5 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Mum.  Who’s the bloke they are all talking about on that documentary tonight?

Me.  It’s Russell Brand.

Mum.  Oh that’s dreadful.  Used to love him when he read the stars on TVAM…..

There’s two things you can’t beat. A wank and ya mam. My mam woke me up once with “Guess who’s dead?” My dad had cancer at the time so I thought it was an avant gaede way of breaking it to me.

no. Richard fucking Whitely.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Butch2000 said:

It’s not about you, Christ!

Anyway, it’s already unavailable on All4. I asked my boss who’s a solicitor by trade if that’s be for legal reasons and he said “Dunno”, which was a great help.

It’s currently scheduled to be shown again tonight at 21:00.

Like some others have said, thought the way the doc was put together was sensationalistic shite, which if anything undermined the seriousness of the allegations.

Having clips of Brands stand up act in-between testimonies and treating them as grim confessions was a mistake. Comedians make shocking jokes and that's what some people find funny. His stand up is nothing to do with his behaviour.

Of course I understand the women wanting their identities protected but having actresses stand in for them, to me, made the whole thing seem like a rehearsed drama. A person's testimony could've just been read over by a voiceover. It's a exposé documentary they're putting on, not an episode of Hollyoaks.

Fair play if Channel 4 are trying to expose crime and get justice, but it just felt like their main goal was to make a shocking TV show.

And for the record I believe all the women and hope Brand gets punished for his actions.