Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, David said:

Someone as durable and heavy-hitting as Masvidal always has a chance. I'd favour Covington mind you, but I wouldn't write Masvidal off.

Fair enough, I guess - just that it seemed to me that Covington is probably even more durable, and seems to have a skillset a level above.

17 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Fair enough, I guess - just that it seemed to me that Covington is probably even more durable, and seems to have a skillset a level above.

Oh, absolutely. But Masvidal is a heavy hitter, has cardio, decent wrestling defence, and can take a punch. He'll be a "live dog" as Jon Anik likes to say.

• Paid Members

just saw this on Twitter. Has anyone ever looked as bad on the scale as Conor McGregor did before he fought Dennis Siver? i know we've seen people collapse and be held up in scary situations, but from a purely aesthetic standpoint McGregor takes some beating.

20220117_154204.thumb.jpg.3055933bd85bd1ef0fec6c8f5814c768.jpg

• Paid Members

Amanda Nunes has left American Top Team apparently.

Obviously it worked out alright for her last time she did this after a loss but I never like to see this. Maybe she has genuine reasons to switch things up but whenever a fighter changes team after a loss it feels like they’re blaming the previous gym and not accepting whatever flaws or mistakes they made themselves. Could be talking complete bollocks but the timing of it always makes it seem that way.

Also, the ‘starting her own gym’ bit is concerning. How hard are you gonna push yourself when you’re your own boss and calling all the shots in camp? Floyd Mayweather aside obviously because he’s a freak. We saw how it worked out for Brock Lesnar and BJ Penn when left to their own devices. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

You never know - it might be that she just sees this as an opportune time to start putting things into motion for her to make a living after she retires as an active fighter. Put it this way: if there's any female MMA fighter whose gym you'd want to train at, it's Nunes'. Despite the loss to Pena, her stock is still very high. She might want to have more time with Nina Nunes </mork> and the nipper, and this could give her a way to do that.

• Paid Members

True but even the wanting to have more time with the family, while it’s totally understandable and I get it, at what point does it take away from her focus on MMA? Priorities change when you have kids and that combined with the fact that Nunes has already done everything there is to do in the sport and then add in the cost and work that goes into opening her own gym, it just feels like her eye mightn’t be on the ball like it once was. Again, totally get it and it’s natural. But I’m starting to get the feeling the Nunes era is coming to an end soon. I still think she beats Pena if/when they rematch but it just feels like we might be starting to see the beginning of the end to me. 

• Paid Members

Yep, I agree. Obviously, we don't know for sure, but I get the feeling that this is probably now her exit process; as you say, she's done everything there is to do for her now. 

Also, another thought occurs: she's still Featherweight champ. It's a good selling point for any gym/dojo she sets up, even if she never fights Pena again.

Dont the gyms/coaches take a cut of the cash from a fighters purse? Im leaning more down Carbombs thinking that shes setting up her future earnings after shes retired, combined with banking as much cash as possible before she actually does. Her own gym = coaches in her corner which cost nothing/far less than ATT coaches, which in turn equals tens of thousands more cash for however many remaning fights she has.

32 minutes ago, Dai said:

Dont the gyms/coaches take a cut of the cash from a fighters purse? Im leaning more down Carbombs thinking that shes setting up her future earnings after shes retired, combined with banking as much cash as possible before she actually does. Her own gym = coaches in her corner which cost nothing/far less than ATT coaches, which in turn equals tens of thousands more cash for however many remaning fights she has.

Did'nt Shogun and BJ Penn both do that with disastrous results ? She is a hell of a fighter but not sure setting up your own gym to save money is the best idea, especially coming off a big loss.