Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

You guessed correctly who I was thinking of 😂 he’s gone now though isn’t he? Although I suspect he’ll be back with one win on the minor leagues because he tells Dana he looks thinner or some shit. 

Nope, he's still with the UFC. Sorry to be the one to deliver this news.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022/03/ufc-sam-alvey-will-complete-final-fight-contract-not-cut

Despite his current record losing skid, Sam Alvey has revealed that he hasn’t been released by the UFC.

Winless in his past eight octagon appearances, Alvey (33-17-1 MMA, 10-12-1 UFC) has one fight remaining on his UFC contract and will be granted the opportunity to fight it out. The 35-year-old admits that he expected to be released after he was submitted by Brendan Allen last month at UFC Fight Night 200.

“We knew what they’re calling for. They’ve got to cut me,” Alvey said on his YouTube channel. “There’d be no hard feelings toward them if they did. Honestly, I’ve been suspecting it coming for a while now because I haven’t won in a while. I’ve had a couple of really good fights that I’ve lost and in a sport like this, you can’t lose.”

But to Alvey’s surprise, the call he received from the UFC was to let him know that whenever he’s ready to compete, he will receive another chance.

“I’m not cut! I get at least one more fight with the UFC,” Alvey said. “My contract is one more fight. The UFC didn’t cut me.”

17 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Pimblett vs A Corpse headliner anyone? 

The only other thing we can hope for is that Paul Craig after his win in London when asked when he'd like to get back in there made a comment about the summer in Glasgow? Is that a possibility? Maybe he let slip something that wasn't announced yet?

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Cejudo is back in the Usada testing pool.

In the shallow end with his arm bands the little shit. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

The only other thing we can hope for is that Paul Craig after his win in London when asked when he'd like to get back in there made a comment about the summer in Glasgow? Is that a possibility? Maybe he let slip something that wasn't announced yet?

Yeah, Scotland’s been waiting a while. Wasn’t he calling out Anthony Smith after his last fight? I’d be up for that. I think the next UK card is almost guaranteed to have Tom Aspinall headlining again though after that performance against Volkov. If we got Aspinall vs Tuivasa on top with Craig vs Smith and Arnold Allen vs somebody underneath I’d be quite happy with that.

I just hope it’s somewhere other than London this time. Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, wherever. Give another city a look in. Still waiting for them to come back to Brum, it’s been 11 years now. But there’s only a few Midlands fighters on the roster and we’re not getting Edwards challenging Usman over here, obviously. Aside from that we’ve only got Jai Herbert and Jake Hadley and I think that’s it. They’ve still never been to Wales have they? 

• Paid Members

Smith/Craig seems to make a lot of sense and they both talked about how they wanted the fight but Smith mentioned on the Bisping podcast that the UFC is pushing for him to fight Magomed Ankalaev. 

Also, with WWE recently discovering there's life in Wales I still live in hope we'll get a UFC show in the Principality Stadium some day. Hopefully with all the attention it's getting Dana will finally realise it has a roof which always seems to be the main sticking point when it comes to larger stadium shows.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

They’ve still never been to Wales have they? 

They've always said its because there's not an indoor arena big enough, the Motorpoint in Cardiff would only hold around 3-4 thousand seated im guessing.

• Paid Members

I still find it a bit mystifying that a company that purports to be the premier global promotion for MMA is still so bogged down by obstacles stemming from being American-centric like WWE. WWE can do what they want as they are very much an American company and their stock-in-trade is essentially peddling bullshit, but when you're meant to be repping a legitimate sport globally, you should be doing more to have a proper, worldwide presence.

Given the UFC's size, I'm surprised they haven't opened a UK-based company or bought up and re-branded Cage Warriors, and done the same in other countries. It's the most obvious way to get around the logistical issues. (And no, I'm not advocating UK titles or those for other countries.)