Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I'm going to sound a little Joe Rogan "they need to sort out these gloves" with this, but. . . Surely stand-up's should only be a really rare intervention from referee's.

There's the end of the round to end the grounded period if nothing is really happening. Surely the onus should be on the person on the bottom to be better at getting up/avoiding being taken down? Just like most of us, I don't enjoy long lay and pray periods either, where you can't see strikes or submissions being worked for, just position, but it's so harsh on the grappler how often they get stood up where it doesn't really feel justified. 

I could understand if there was as much effort put into forcing the issue more in nothing happening stand up fights as well. At least then it would be an equal footing (Lewis/Ngannou, Romero/Adesanya, Rose/Esparza etc). Yellow cards for lack of attempt to do anything could be an idea. But really and truly, I'm struggling to think of the last significant shakeup that's taken place, especially in the UFC, regarding the production or in cage action. Dana likes what he likes. Even down to the rule changes in scoring. They've quickly reverted to the old manner of 10-8's being that a murder almost having to have taken place. 

Open scoring, adopting the weight classes, more liberal use of 10-8's, all things that I think they could bring in now if they wanted, but White has been against them all. 

• Paid Members

I feel like this could turn out to be a good move.

He’s got undeniable talent but his UFC run hasn’t been the best. Maybe a bit more seasoning outside the UFC will put him in a better position to make another run at it in a couple of years or something. He’s still the right side of 30 so he’s got a bit of time. 

• Paid Members

Quite surprised at that, especially as he wasn't snapped up by another promotion once his deal has expired. 

I've also heard Jack Shore is likely headed to Bellator once his UFC contract ends. Bit of a shake up for Welsh MMA.

• Paid Members

Never heard that about Shore but that one’s a bit less surprising to me. I think Shore was becoming a bit disillusioned with the UFC keeping him on the prelims forever. Of course he’s just lost to Ricky Simon but I remember before that, I saw Shore’s dad tweeting a fair bit about them feeling like the matchmakers had it in for them or something and that’s why he made pretty much zero progress despite racking up wins at the time. It’d be a shame to see him go but Shore in Bellator could be decent. I’ve seen people on about Jones going back to Cage Warriors and I get it, but I think that would kind of seem like going backwards now. Not a knock on Cage Warriors but he’s been there and won the belts. What more can he do? I think PFL could be the move for Jones. 

• Paid Members

Eddie Alvarez is a free agent. Where do you think he'll end up? I like the idea of him going to either Bellator or PFL. Lots of fresh matchups to be made if he's still got serious ambition. Alvarez' stint in One was a bit of a disaster though wasnt it? im sure he was financially compensated nicely but a 1-2 run with a No Contest thrown in (initially a stoppage loss) all but killed any talk of Alvarez being a top name in the division. 38 now as well, with a lot of miles on the clock. 

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Won’t happen but I’d love to see him come back to the UFC to finish the trilogy with Chandler. PFL or Bellator would probably be better moves but I don’t care if he’s one and done in a UFC return, we were robbed of Alvarez vs Chandler 3 and I still wanna see it. 

56BF27D5-5B00-4AF7-B54C-D3E4076E0BF0.jpeg

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Won’t happen but I’d love to see him come back to the UFC to finish the trilogy with Chandler. PFL or Bellator would probably be better moves but I don’t care if he’s one and done in a UFC return, we were robbed of Alvarez vs Chandler 3 and I still wanna see it. 

56BF27D5-5B00-4AF7-B54C-D3E4076E0BF0.jpeg

Ohhh that's a great idea. Bringing Alvarez in as a bit of a showcase action fighter is good shout. 

I do like that PFL idea as well though.

Chandlers' status is so high at the moment, that Alvarez is nowhere near his level. Crazy to think that, really. For the up and up trajectory of Chandler, it's been the exact opposite for Alvarez. I assume he will end up in a few Bellator main events.