Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I remember that fondly, it was just before i started following closely but i can recall it happening. It was also one of the first DVD's i got when the UFC starting releasing the Zuffa era shows over here. Freeman himself is kind of forgotten now and Michael Bisping is kind of seen as the original UFC fighter from the UK, but there was a handful before and Freeman headed that up. Actually was he the only UK fighter to fight in the UFC in America until Bisping & Pointon debuted?

Ive got Freemans book here, i havent read it in about 15 years though, im gonna find it.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Actually was he the only UK fighter to fight in the UFC in America until Bisping & Pointon debuted?

Nah, just looking at that Albert Hall card now and there’s 2 more Brits on that card alone. Mark Weir and Leigh Remedios who fought Genki Sudo that night. There was Lee Murray just after this as well. Might’ve been one or two others but I’m drawing a blank. Freeman definitely felt like the first to kind of break through though. The Mir win probably wasn’t looked at so huge at the time but it aged better with what Mir went on to do. Still, Mir was a prospect at the time and I’m sure Freeman wasn’t favoured going in.

Edit - just realised you specified “in America”. Although I’m sure Weir fought on a couple of US cards and Murray definitely did. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

ahh shit, you're right. For some reason i thought that was Weir's only UFC appearence, he had 2 in America after that which has completely slipped my mind, i know ive seen both fights too.

...and how could i forget Lee Murray!

Edited by Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Remember Terrance McKinney who knocked out Matt Frevola in his UFC debut in 7 seconds a few months back? 

After his fight he asked Joe Rogan if he could go on his podcast to tell his story. Nothing came of it, and I didnt look into it at the time, but ai just stumbled across this news feature on McKinney from a few years back detailing his battle with drugs. The police cam footage is pretty unsettling. Kid seems to have really turned his life around.

• Paid Members

This thread on Twitter is killing me. Rough N Rowdy makes BKFC look sophisticated. Look at the absolute state of this lot. Click this and look at the rest underneath it…

Like a cross between the early UFC promos and the Irish gypsy bare knuckle callouts. Big Joe Joyce needs to get in on this.