Minor News & Random Shit

Egg Shen

2020 submission of the year contender (flying triangle choke) and DWCS stand out Jimmy Flick has announced his retirement from MMA as he states the UFC is no longer his dream. Selfishly I am gutted as he was an exciting addition to one of UFC's weakest division but he is getting out of the game with no heath problems and he's not retiring due to any deep or dark issues. Fair play to him. I'd love him to come back though.

From MMAFighting.com

"Flick stated that he accomplished his goals in 2020 of not drinking soda, making $100,000 for the year, and making the UFC walk. After checking off those boxes, Flick said he has three new goals moving forward which all have nothing to do with the UFC, or fighting in general.

“I have three new goals in life: spend more time with my family, help my wife reach her goals, and, my third goal, is to finish the book I started over a year ago to tell my story, to tell my life, to tell everybody why I did this,” Flick said.

“A lot of people keep asking me where I see myself in 10 years. ‘Where do you see yourself in the UFC?’ To be honest, everybody, the UFC is not my dream no more. A lot of people won’t understand why. It’s hard to explain and it does bring tears to my eyes, but the UFC is not looking out for me. My wife is looking out for me, my kids are looking out for me and that’s what I want. I want to be their father. I want to go to work every day, come home and be with my family. I want to spend time with my little girls, I want to spend time with my wife."

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/4/11/22378334/jimmy-flick-announces-retirement-the-ufc-is-not-my-dream-no-more

• Paid Members

What a gorgeous and amazing cat. Thoroughly deserved the name. And the footage of it shitting in the toilet makes it completely appropriate material for this forum. 

I hope we get to see Meowvin Hagler and Roberto Purran in short order.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

What a gorgeous and amazing cat. Thoroughly deserved the name. And the footage of it shitting in the toilet makes it completely appropriate material for this forum. 

I hope we get to see Meowvin Hagler and Roberto Purran in short order.

Well she’s got a pig too apparently. Behold Manny Porkiao!

1D334284-558F-4472-99C7-B99363CAD60E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

He was actually planning to as well. I remember he was on Rogan’s podcast years ago and was saying he was in talks to fight Ken Shamrock again around that time, which makes sense why that would entice Bas out of retirement seeing as he was down 0-2 to Kenny from their Pancrase days. He also said he was trying to convince Pride to book him vs Wanderlei on that big Pride/K-1 supershow in the summer of 2002 (the show which had Big Nog vs Sapp and Cro Cop vs Sakuraba) but nothing ended up coming of it and Wand was given some nobody to smash up instead.

Bas was always teasing comebacks. Even as far back as Pride 2 or 3 in about 98, he was teasing coming back to face Randy Couture and Rickson Gracie. After all those names being thrown around, when he eventually did return as a one off and it was against Warpath, it was kind of cool but meant nothing. I think he was genuine in his hopes to fight all these names as well but either Pride had other plans at those times and Bas himself had a ton of injuries piling up as well I think.

16 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

He was actually planning to as well. I remember he was on Rogan’s podcast years ago and was saying he was in talks to fight Ken Shamrock again around that time, which makes sense why that would entice Bas out of retirement seeing as he was down 0-2 to Kenny from their Pancrase days. He also said he was trying to convince Pride to book him vs Wanderlei on that big Pride/K-1 supershow in the summer of 2002 (the show which had Big Nog vs Sapp and Cro Cop vs Sakuraba) but nothing ended up coming of it and Wand was given some nobody to smash up instead.

Bas was always teasing comebacks. Even as far back as Pride 2 or 3 in about 98, he was teasing coming back to face Randy Couture and Rickson Gracie. After all those names being thrown around, when he eventually did return as a one off and it was against Warpath, it was kind of cool but meant nothing. I think he was genuine in his hopes to fight all these names as well but either Pride had other plans at those times and Bas himself had a ton of injuries piling up as well I think.

Aye, Bas chased Rickson for years. Here he is calling Rickson out in 1998 just before he switched to the UFC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPsgNIdvpe0&list=PLLmI9jPjzJeOREIS06Q_QLLaparTScwRr&index=31&ab_channel=OfficialBasRutten

I think you are right though, he did tease fighting Rickson again after he retired in 1999. He mentions in this article that the fight almost happened in Pride - https://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/bas-rutten-i-regret-having-never-faced-rickson-gracie/

The Shamrock story rings a bell now come to think of it. I didn't know he had teased a fight with Randy though. Randy would have probably beaten him. 

Edited by jimufctna24